- 2017. Israel under Siege: The Politics of Insecurity and the Rise of the Israeli Neo-Revisionist Right, Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press.
- 2006. Contested State Identities and Regional Security in the Euro-Mediterranean Area, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
Edited volumes (books)
- 2015. Fragmented Borders, Interdependence and External Relations: The Israel-Palestine-European Union Triangle, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2006. The Convergence of Civilizations: Constructing a Mediterranean Region, Toronto: University of Toronto Press (with Emanuel Adler, Federica Bicchi, and Beverly Crawford).
Articles in peer reviewed journals
- Forthcoming (2019) ‘Stuck in the Logic of Oslo: Europe and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict’, Middle East Journal, September.
- 2017 ‘Contentious Borders in the Middle East and North Africa: Context and Concepts’, International Affairs 93(4): 787-797, available here.
- 2016. ‘Normative Empire Europe: The European Union, Its Borderlands, and the “Arab Spring”’, Journal of Common Market Studies 54(2): 215-232, available here.
- 2015. ‘Uncertainties at the European Union's Southern Borders: Actors, Policies and Legal Frameworks’, European Security 24 (3): 369-380 (with Chiara Steindler), http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09662839.2015.1028184
- 2014. 'Defining Borders and People in the Borderlands: EU Policies, Israeli Prerogatives and the Palestinians’, Journal of Common Market Studies, 52(2): 200-216, available here.
- 2011. ‘From Brussels with Love: Leverage, Benchmarking, and the Action Plans with Jordan and Tunisia in the EU’s Democratization Policy’, Democratization 18(4): 932-955 (with Tobias Schumacher), http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13510347.2011.584733
- 2011. ‘Plus ça change…? Israel, the EU and the Union for the Mediterranean’, Mediterranean Politics 16(1): 117-153, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13629395.2011.547395
- 2009. ‘Back to Square One? The Netanyahu Government and the Prospects for Middle East Peace’, Mediterranean Politics 14(3): 421-428, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13629390903347036
- 2008. ‘Italy’s Politics without Policy: Balancing Atlanticism and Europeanism in the Middle East’, Modern Italy 13(2): 135-153 (with Nathalie Tocci), https://doi.org/10.1080/13532940801962033
- 2007. ‘Wording and Meaning(s): EU-Israeli Political Cooperation according to the ENP Action Plan’, Mediterranean Politics 12(1): 59-74, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13629390601136830
- 2006. ‘Security and Democracy: A Reprise’, European Security 15(4): 507-518, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09662830701306136
- 2005. ‘Setting the (Cultural) Agenda: Concepts, Communities, and Representation in Euro-Mediterranean Relations’, in Mediterranean Politics 10(3): 313-330, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13629390500289359
- 2005. ‘From EMP to ENP: What’s at Stake with the European Neighbourhood Policy towards the Southern Mediterranean?’, European Foreign Affairs Review 10(1): 17-38 (with Tobias Schumacher), available here.
- 2003. ‘Israel’s Contested Identity and the Mediterranean’, Mediterranean Politics 8(1): 27-58, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13629390308010002
- 2001. ‘Caught between Europe and the Orient: Israel and the EMP’, The International Spectator 36(4): 61-75 (with Alfred Tovias), http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03932720108456947
Special journal issues journals, guest editor
- 2017. ‘Contentious Borders: The Middle East and North Africa post-2011’, special issue of International Affairs 93(4) (co-edited with Louise Fawcett and Asli S. Okyay), abstracts at https://doi.org/10.1093/ia/iix140
- 2015. ‘Uncertainties at the European Union's Southern Borders’, Special issue of European Security 24(3) (co-edited with Chiara Steindler).
- 2006. ‘Security and Democracy in the European Union’, Special issue of European Security, 15(4) (co-edited with Cathleen Kantner and Angela Liberatore).
- 2019. ‘Europe and the Rule of (International) Law in the Israeli–Palestinian Space’, in Tore Tingwald Petersen (ed.), Israel in a Turbulent Region: Security and Foreign Policy, London: Routledge, pp. 198- 217.
- 2015. ‘Borders, Power, and Interdependence: A Borderlands Approach to Israel-Palestine and the European Union’, in Raffaella A. Del Sarto (ed.), Fragmented Borders, Interdependence and External Relations: The Israel-Palestine-European Union Triangle, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 3-24.
- 2015. ‘Visa Regimes and the Movement of People across the EU and Israel-Palestine’, in Raffaella A. Del Sarto (ed.), Fragmented Borders, Interdependence and External Relations: The Israel-Palestine-European Union Triangle, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 48-64.
- 2015. ‘The Legal Fragmentation of Palestine-Israel and European Union Policies Promoting the Rule of Law’ (with Asem Khalil), in Raffaella A. Del Sarto (ed.), Fragmented Borders, Interdependence and External Relations: The Israel-Palestine-European Union Triangle, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 129-154.
- 2014. ‘Israel and the European Union: Between Rhetoric and Reality’, in Colin Shindler (ed.) Israel and the Great Powers: Diplomatic Alliances and International Relations beyond the Middle East, London: I.B. Tauris, pp. 155-186.
- 2011. ‘Italy in the Mediterranean: Between Atlanticism and Europeanism’ (with Maurizio Carbone, Valter Coralluzzo, and Nathalie Tocci), in Maurizio Carbone (ed.), Italy in the Post-Cold War Order, Lanham: Lexington Books, pp.197-214.
- 2010. ‘Borderlands: The Middle East and North Africa as the EU’s Southern Buffer Zone’, in Dimitar Bechev and Kalypso Nicolaidis (eds.), Mediterranean Frontiers: Borders, Conflicts and Memory in a Transnational World, London: I.B. Tauris, pp. 149-167.
- 2007. ‘Il confine del consenso: La guerra dei Sei Giorni e la frammentazione della società e della politica israeliana’ (The Limits of Consensus: The Six-Day War and the Fragmentation of Israeli Politics and Society’), in Arturo Marzano and Marcella Simoni (eds.), Quaranta anni dopo: Confini, barriere e limiti in Israele e Palestina, 1967-2007, Bologna: Il Ponte, pp. 33-48.
- 2006. ‘Region-Building, EU Normative Power, and Contested Identities: The Case of Israel’, in Emanuel Adler, Federica Bicchi, Beverly Crawford, and Raffaella A. Del Sarto (eds.), The Convergence of Civilizations: Constructing a Mediterranean Region, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, pp. 296-333.
- 2006. ‘Israel and the EU: An Enhanced Political Co-operation?’, in Roby Nathanson and Stephan Stetter (eds.), ENP Monitor, Tel Aviv: Friedrich Ebert Foundation, pp. 220-245.
- 2004. ‘Turkey’s EU Membership: An Asset for the EU’s Policy towards the Mediterranean and Middle East?’, inNathalie Tocci and Ahmet Evin (eds.), Towards Accession Negotiations: Turkey's Domestic and Foreign Policy Challenges Ahead, Fiesole (Florence): European University Institute, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, pp. 137-155.
- 1999. ‘Israeli Identity as Seen through European Eyes’, in Shlomo Avineri and Werner Weidenfeld (eds.), Integration and Identity: Challenges to Europe and Israel, Bonn: Europa Union Verlag, pp. 59-79.
Essays, policy reports, opinion pieces & working papers
- 2019. 'Trump's Israel-Palestine plan is all smoke and mirrors', The Hill, 21 June.
- 2019. 'Gefährlicher Hokuspokus: Nach Netanjahus Wahlsieg dürfte Donald Trump bald seinen Plan fürden Nahen Osten vorlegen', Sueddeutsche Zeitung, 12. April
- 2019. Insecurity, Identity Politics, and the Restructuring of the Middle East, in Shifting Global Politics and the Middle East, POMEPS Studies 34, Project on Middle East Political Science, March (the complete collection is available here)
- 2019. Interregnum: The Regional Order in in the Middle East and North Africa after 2011, MENARA Final Report no. 1, February, with Helle Malmvig and Eduard Soler i Lecha.
- 2018. 'The Mirage of Regionalism in the Middle East and North Africa Post-2011,' MENARA Working Papers No. 18, October, with Eduard Soler i Lecha.
- 2018. 'New Trends in Identity Politics in the Middle East and North Africa and their Impact on State-Society Relations,' MENARA Working Papers No. 14, October, with Silvia Colombo (lead author), Enrico Campelli, and Francesca Caruso.2018.
- ‘The Governance of Migration and Border Controls in the European-North African Context’, MENARA Working Paper no. 13, September, with Jean-Pierre Cassarino.
- 2017. 'After Mosul, are borders and state sovereignty still an issue in the Middle East?', OUPblog (Oxford University Press blog), with Asli S. Okyay.
- 2015. ‘Periphery under Pressure: Morocco, Tunisia and the European Union's Mobility Partnership on Migration’, EUI Working Papers, RSCAS 2015/75, BORDERLANDS Project (with Mohamed Limam).
- 2014. ‘Partnership or Power Projection? The EU and its “Neighbourhood”’, OpenDemocracy, 18. November (with Simone Tholens).
- 2013. ‘Conflict at the EU’s Southern Borders: The Sahel Crisis’, OpenDemocracy, 1 February (with Simone Tholens).
- 2006. ‘Changes in EU-Israeli Relations?’, Internationale Politik Transatlantic Edition, 7(1): 92-103.
- ____. ‘Benchmarking Human Rights and Democratic Development in the Euro-Mediterranean Context: Conceptualising Ends, Means, and Strategies’, lead author, with contributions of Ahmed Driss, Erwan Lannon, and Tobias Schumacher, EuroMeSCo Annual Report, Lisbon: EuroMeSCo Secretariat.
- ____. ‘Linee politiche e prospettive di sviluppo della Politica Comunitaria di Prossimità nel Mediterraneo’, in La Regione Toscana, il Mediterraneo e la Politica di Coesione 2007-2013, Rapporto del Gruppo di Lavoro a supporto dell’elaborazione della strategia regionale di sviluppo per il periodo 2007-2013, Firenze: Regione Toscana [Political Guidelines and Prospects for the Development of the EU’s Neighbourdhood Policy towards the Mediterraenan’, in Tuscany, the Mediterraenan and the Politics of Cohesion, 2007-2013, Florence: Region of Tuscany].
- ____ . ‘Interfacing the European Union with International Relations’, Book review of International Relations and the European Union, edited by Christopher Hill and Michel Smith (Oxford: Oxford University Press), The International Spectator 40(1): 115-117.
- 1999. ‘Environment and the Palestinian NGO Sector: A Needs Assessment Study’, Jerusalem: Friedrich Naumann Foundation.
- 1999. ‘Youth and the Palestinian NGO Sector: A Needs Assessment Study’, Jerusalem: Friedrich Naumann Foundation.
- 1998. 'German unification and its impact on German foreign policy: The case of Israel', working paper no. 1/98, The Institute for European Studies, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- ____. Book review of Identitades y conflicto de valores: Diversidad y mutación social en el Mediterráneo, edited by Maria Angel Roque, Mediterranean Politics 3(2):122-123.