Career Day 2020
Friday, february 28, 2020
All sessions will be held at Minnetonka Middle School West
6421 Hazeltine Blvd., Excelsior, MN 55331
Thank you for your interest in Career Day 2020
Thank you for your interest in supporting Career Day, a morning for Eighth Graders to explore a variety of careers and jobs, and it's all possible with YOUR help. Whether you intend to present to the students about your career, or you prefer to help behind the scenes, here is where you can find all you need to know about contributing to this important and fun event.
Volunteers from our community will speak about their careers to groups of approximately 25 eighth graders. There are three time slots (please note this is different from previous years):
- 10:14a-11:06a Hour 1
- 11:10a-12:06p Hour 2
- 12:09p-1:04p break for lunch
- 1:08p-2:03p Hour 3
Each time slot is two duplicate half-hour sessions; each speaker is assigned to one time slot, and will give the same presentation to two different groups of students. This allows 15-20 minutes to speak, 5-10 minutes Q&A, and 4 minutes for new students to come into your room, then repeat. How you present, whether you use the overhead with slides, wear a work uniform, have props or giveaways, that is completely up to you. Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your presentation is scheduled to begin. Your time commitment for the day is about 1.5 hours, allowing for setup and breakdown.
Here's what you need to know:
- Please bring your presentation on a USB drive. All classrooms have Dell desktop computers with Microsoft Suite (PowerPoint, Word), and web-based tools are available by logging in through Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers. Keynote presentations should be converted to pdf or PowerPoint.
- February 28, 2020, first speakers may begin to arrive at 9:45. Go through the main entrance at MMW and you will be directed to the Hospitality Room.
- There will be an Information Reception (RSVP here) at MMW on Tuesday, February 4 from 5:30-7 pm. Ask questions, get answers.
- Here is the presentation from last year's Information Session.
- Looking for lots of details? General Info & Best Practices
- Wondering what your presentation should look like? Sample from previous year
- Ready to plan your talk? Here is a suggested outline
- Volunteers in the school are requested to have a background check. Submit your information, or find out if you’ve already been cleared through previous volunteering (you only have to go through the process once in Minnetonka District) by clicking on this link. Volunteers being supervised by school employees are not required to have this check, but if it is convenient for you, our preference is for you to be screened.
- If you would like to participate in a supporting capacity, (not giving presentations) please choose a time through our SignUpGenius.
- If you have questions regarding the technical aspects of sharing your presentation, email Jon Guimont.
- For more information, contact Shannon Richter or Paula Erbisch.
- Ready to sign up? Click that button up there. ^^^
NON-SPEAKER VOLUNTEERS: If you would like to participate in a supporting capacity, (not giving presentations) please choose a time through our SignUpGenius. We need people who can escort the speakers to the hospitality room and to their classrooms.