Natural Language Processing | Computational Linguist | Deep Learning | Machine Learning | PhD | Data Scientist | Speaker
Currently working as a Faculty at Center for Computational Engineering and Networking at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore, India. I am also a PhD student under the supervision of Dr. K.P Soman. My current research focus is on Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Deep learning. I am interested in applying deep learning techniques in the computational processing of Indian languages. My dissertation is on Embedding linguistic features for improving Neural Machine Translation from English to Indian languages, particularly Malayalam and building deep learning based NLP tools for Malayalam. Apart from Malayalam, I also developed deep learning based NLP tools for various Indian languages. I also worked on applying kernel methods and explicit feature mapping algorithms in predicting network anomalies.
My research focuses on Natural Language Processing - in particular, I am working on the development of NLP tools for linguistically rich Indian languages using deep learning algorithms. These tools can be effectively utilized in Neural Machine Translation, Indian language spoken dialogue system, Robotics, social media text analytics etc. Along with the machine learning/deep learning tools, I also prepared data-sets for different NLP tasks such as Machine Translation, Morphological analysis, Sandhi splitting, Parts-of-Speech tagging and Named Entity Recognition in Indian languages.
Goal of my research is to take the common man to the world of flooded knowledge and let them learn through their spoken language or mother tongue.
Some topics of interests are:
- Neural Machine Translation
- Incorporating Artificial Intelligence to learn the grammatical rules of natural languages.
- Models of linguistically rich languages such as Sanskrit, Malayalam, Tamil, Hindi, Telugu and also for Arabic
- Morphological analyser
- Sandhi splitter
- Named Entity Recognition (NER) tagger
- Parts of Speech (POS) tagger
- Word Sense Disambiguation (WSD)
- Social media text analytics
- Factuality identification
- Irony detection
- Aspect based sentiment analysis
- Hate speech identification
- Emotion detection
- Biomedical text mining
- Kernel methods and explicit random feature mapping algorithms
- Network anomaly detection
- Deep learning - in particular, Recurrent Neural Network and Long Short-Term Memory Networks
- Reinforcement Learning
- Probability and Graphical Models
Collaborative research projects
- Sanskrit NLP for Ayurveda text processing with Amrita School of Ayurveda.
- Developed a Compound word identification model for Sanskrit
- Developed a Sanskrit POS tagged system.
- Developed morphological generators for Sanskrit nouns and verbs
- Word2vec representation for all the texts available in Digital Corpus of Sanskrit
- Building a Malayalam Wordnet in association with Italian project on Universal Knowledge Core (UKC) with Trento University, Italy
- 18CN715 Deep Learning for NLP - Odd semester
- 18CN601 Algorithms and Structures for Data Science - Odd semester
- 18CN627 Bigdata Framework for Data Science - Odd semester
- 18CN601 Algorithm and Structures for Data Science - Odd semester
- 19MAT105 Mathematics for Intelligent Systems 1
- 16CN613 Deep Learning and Probabilistic Graphical Models
- 16 MA603 Computational Linear Algebra for Data Sciences
- 16CN604 Computational methods for Optimization
- 17AL 601 Linear Algebra and Optimization for Signal Processing
- 17AL 605 Deep Learning
- 18 MA 607 Computational Linear Algebra and Optimization for Data Sciences
- 18 CN 602 Deep Learning and Probabilistic Graphical Models
- PhD. (Pursuing ) at Center for Computational Engineering and Networking, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore, India
- Thesis : Neural Machine Translation System from English to Malayalam
- Adviser: Dr. K.P Soman
- M.Tech in Computational Engineering and Networking (2010 - 2012)
- Thesis: Compressive sensing based Image Super Resolution
- Adviser: Dr. K.P Soman
- Faculty Associate (March 2020 - Present)
- Center for Computational Engineering and Networking, Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Research Assistant (October 2014 - February 2020 )
- Center for Computational Engineering and Networking, Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Assistant Professor (August 2012 - September 2014)
- Royal College of Engineering and Technology, Thrissur, Kerala
- Lecturer (January - April 2010)
- Viswa Jyothi College of Engineering and Technology, Muvattupuzha, Kerala
- Winner of FACT@IberLEF2019 (Factuality Analysis and Classification Task) shared task organized as a part of IberLEF 2019. (Results https://competitions.codalab.org/competitions/22184#learn_the_details-final-results-2019)
- DJ Ratnam, KP Soman, TK Bijimol, MG Priya, B Premjith (2020), Hybrid Machine Translation System for the Translation of Simple English Prepositions and Periphrastic Causative Constructions from English to Hindi, Applications in Ubiquitous Computing. Springer, Cham 247-263.
- JP Sanjanasri, B Premjith, Vijay Krishna Menon, KP Soman (2020). cEnTam: Creation and Validation of a New English-Tamil Bilingual Corpus, Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on Building and Using Comparable Corpora, 61-64
- K Sreelakshmi, B Premjith, KP Soman (2020). Detection of Hate Speech Text in Hindi-English Code-mixed Data, Procedia Computer Science, Elsevier , 171 (737-744 )
- TT Sasidhar, B Premjith, KP Soman (2020). Emotion Detection in Hinglish (Hindi+ English) Code-Mixed Social Media Text, Procedia Computer Science, Elsevier , 171 (1346-1352 )
- Sreelakshmi K, Premjith.B, Soman K P (2019). Amrita CEN at HASOC 2019: Hate Speech Detection in Roman and Devanagiri Scripted Text. Working Notes of FIRE 2019 - Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation. 2019 Dec 12-15; 366-369
- Chandni M, Priyanga V T, Premjith B, Soman K.P (2019). Amrita CEN CIQ: Classification of Insincere Questions. Working Notes of FIRE 2019 - Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation. 2019 Dec 12-15; 456-462
- Premjith B, Chandni Chandran V, Shriganesh Bhat and Soman KP (2019). A Machine Learning Approach for Identifying Compound Words from a Sanskrit Text. Proceedings of the 6th International Sanskrit Computational Linguistics Symposium, Association for Computational Linguistics. 2019 Oct 23-25;45-51.
- Premjith B, Soman K.P, Prabaharan P (2019). Amrita CEN@ FACT: Factuality Identification in Spanish Text. Proceedings of the Iberian Languages Evaluation Forum (IberLEF 2019). CEUR Workshop Proceedings, CEUR-WS, Bilbao, Spain (9 2019).
- M Anand Kumar, B Premjith, Shivkaran Singh, S Rajendran, KP Soman (2019). An overview of the shared task on machine translation in Indian languages (MTIL)–2017. Journal of Intelligent Systems. 2019 Jul 26;28(3):455-64.
- Athira Gopalakrishnan, KP Soman, B Premjith (2019). A Deep Learning-Based Named Entity Recognition in Biomedical Domain. Emerging Research in Electronics, Computer Science and Technology, Springer, Singapore, 517-526.
- Premjith B, M Anand Kumar, Soman KP, D Jyothi Ratnam (2019). Embedding Linguistic Features in Word Embedding for Preposition Sense Disambiguation in English—Malayalam Machine Translation Context. Recent Advances in Computational Intelligence, Springer, 341-370.
- Premjith B, M Anand Kumar, Soman KP (2019). Neural Machine Translation System for English to Indian Language Translation Using MTIL Parallel Corpus: Special Issue on Natural Language Processing. Journal of Intelligent Systems.
- Greeshma Prabha, PV Jyothsna, KK Shahina, B Premjith, KP Soman (2019). A Deep Learning Approach for Part-of-Speech Tagging in Nepali Language. 2018 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI).
- Premjith B, Soman K.P, Prabaharan Poornachandran (2018). A deep learning based Part-of-Speech (POS) tagger for Sanskrit language by embedding character level features. In 10th annual meeting of the Forum for Information Retrieval Evaluation.
- Premjith, B., Soman, K. P., & Kumar, M. A. (2018). A deep learning approach for Malayalam morphological analysis at character level. Procedia Computer Science, 132, 47-54.
- Premjith B, Soman K.P, M Anand Kumar (2018). Deep learning based morphological analysis of Tamil nouns and verbs. In Research Conference on Data and Decision Science (RCDDS' 18).
- Aravind Jaya Prakash and Bhavukam Premjith Dhanya Sathyan, Kalpathy Balakrishnan Anand (2018). Modeling the Fresh and Hardened Stage Properties of Self-Compacting Concrete using Random Kitchen Sink Algorithm. In International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials 12.1: 24.
- Ratnam, D. J., Kumar, M. A., Premjith, B., Soman, K. P., & Rajendran, S. (2018). Sense Disambiguation of English Simple Prepositions in the Context of English–Hindi Machine Translation System. In Knowledge Computing and Its Applications (pp. 245-268). Springer, Singapore.
- K P Soman R. Vinayakumar, S. Sachin Kumar, B. Premjith, & Poornachandran Prabaharan (2017). Deep Stance and Gender Detection in Tweets on Catalan Independence@Ibereval 2017. In Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Evaluation of Human Language Technologies for Iberian Languages (IberEval 2017) .
- R Vinayakumar, Premjith B, Sachin Kumar S, Prabaharan Poornachandran . (2017). deepCybErNet at EmoInt-2017: Deep Emotion Intensities in Tweets. In Proceedings of the 8th Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity, Sentiment and Social Media Analysis (pp. 259-263).
- Aravind J Prakash, Dhanya Sathyan, K B Anand, Premjith B (2017), Prediction of rheological properties of self compacting concrete: Regularized least square approach. International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering .
- Vinayakumar, R., Kumar, S., Premjith, B., Prabaharan, P., & Soman, K. P. DEFT 2017-Texts Search@ TALN/RECITAL 2017: Deep Analysis of Opinion and Figurative language on Tweets in French. In 24e Conférence sur le Traitement Automatique des Langues Naturelles (TALN) (p. 99).
- Premjith, B., Kumar, S. S., Shyam, R., Kumar, M. A., & Soman, K. P. (2016). A Fast and Efficient Framework for Creating Parallel Corpus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(45).
- Soman K.P Prabaharan Poornachandran, Premjith B (2016) . A distributed approach for predicting malicious activities in a network from a streaming data with support vector machine and explicit random feature mapping. The IIOAB Journal .
- Kumar, S. S., Premjith, B., Kumar, M. A., & Soman, K. P. (2015). AMRITA_CEN-NLP@ SAIL2015: Sentiment analysis in Indian Language using regularized least square approach with randomized feature learning. In International Conference on Mining Intelligence and Knowledge Exploration (pp. 671-683). Springer, Cham.
- Premjith, B., & Soman, K. P. Computational Experiment of One Class SVM in Excel. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 10 (20), 19356-19360 .
- Premjith, B., Mohan, N., Poornachandran, P., & Soman, K. P. (2015). Audio Data Authentication with PMU Data and EWT. Procedia Technology, 21, 596-603.
- Premjith, B., Kumar, S. S., Manikkoth, A., Bijeesh, T. V., & Soman, K. P. (2013). Insight into Primal Augmented Lagrangian Multilplier Method. arXiv preprint arXiv:1312.7637.
- Premjith B. Vidya M. Poornima S .V. and K.P Soman. A Level Set Methodology for Sanskrit Document Binarization and Character Segmentation. (Best paper award)
- Webinar on Algorithms - Laws and Principles, World Malayalam Internet Association, (2nd 5th July, 2020)
- Webinar on Natural Language Processing and It's Applications, LBS College of Engineering, Kasargod (22 June, 2020)
- Hands-on session on Natural Language Tool Kit, Workshop of Primer on Artificial Intelligence and Data Science at Center for Computational Engineering and Networking (CEN), Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore (23, January, 2020)
- Hands-on session on Weka for Machine Learning, Workshop of Primer on Artificial Intelligence and Data Science at Center for Computational Engineering and Networking (CEN), Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore (20 - 21, January, 2020)
- Talk on Artificial Intelligence in Language Technology at Government Engineering College, Thrissur (11 January, 2020)
- One day workshop on Deep Learning at KMCT College of Engineering co-organised by IEEE Malabar Subsection (18 December 2019)
- Talk on Long Short-Term Memory Networks, FDP on Deep Learning and Machine Learning Approaches and It's Applications at National Institute of Technology, Calicut (12 December, 2019)
- Two day session on Natural Language Processing using Deep Learning and Machine Learning, FDP on "Natural Language Processing using Python" at Govt. Engineering College, Kannur (18-19 October, 2019)
- Talk on Deep Learning in Natural Language Processing at LBS College of Engineering, Kasaragod (10, July 2019)
- A Session on Natural Language Processing, Research Trends in Computer Science at Muthoot Institute of Technology and Science, Puthenkurish, Kochi (5 July 2019).
- Talk and hands-on session on Recurrent Neural Network and Long Short-Term Memory networks, National Level Faculty Development Program on Deep Learning Unfolded, Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri, Kollam (31 May, 2019).
- Talk and hands-on session on Natural Language Processing, Technical training on Machine Learning in Healthcare at Amrita Technologies, Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri, Kollam (1 June, 2019).
- Talk on Reinforcement Learning - assisted Dr. Soman K.P at Summer School on Deep Learning, National Institute of Technology-K Surathkal (20 May, 2019).
- Speaker session at Basecamp - Machine Learning and AI (upGrad), International Institute of Information Technology-Bangalore (11 May, 2019).
- Talk on Natural Language Processing and hands-on using Python, Two-day Workshop on Computational Linguistics at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Bangalore Campus (30 March, 2019).
- Talk on Natural Language Processing at Muthoot Institute of Technology and Science, Puthenkurish, Kochi (22 February 2019).
- Hands-on session on Natural Language Processing, 3 Day FDP on Artificial Intelligence at MEA Engineering College, Perinthalmanna (17 Decemeber, 2018).
- Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing from theory to practice using Python at Royal College of Engineering and Technology, Thrissur (11 - 12, October 2018).
- Faculty Development Program in Machine Learning at Ernad Knowledge City - Technical campus, Manjeri, Malappuram (18 July, 2018).
- Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) and Long Short Term Memory (LSTM) networks and its applications in Summer course on AI and Data science at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore (24 May, 2018).
- Weka hands-on at Summer course on AI and Data science at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore (21-22 May, 2018).
- Support Vector Machine (SVM) and Deep Learning (Theory and hand-on), Faculty Development Program in Machine Learning at College of Engineering Thalassery (26 April 2018).
- Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) and Long Short Term Memory (LSTM) networks and its application in the Malayalam language processing, Faculty Development Program in Machine Learning at Vidya Academy of Science and Technology (20 January, 2018).
- Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) and Long Short Term Memory (LSTM) networks, DeepChem 2017 workshop organized by Center for Computational Engineering and Networking (CEN) at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (22-24, December, 2017).
- Neural Machine Translation and building a Neural Machine Architecture uses Tensorflow, Machine Translation in Indian Languages - Shared task cum workshop 2017 at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (7 - 8, September, 2017).
- A hands on session on using LaTex for writing research papers at College of Engineering, Thalassery.
- Workshop on Arduino and raspberry pi at Rajagiri School of Engineering and Technology.
- Workshop on Arduino and raspberry pi at Royal College of Engineering and Technology.
- ACM Transactions on Asian and Low-Resource Language Information Processing (TALLIP)
- Journal of Intelligent Systems
- CoCoNet 2019: International Conference on Computing and Network Communications
- ICCIDS 2020 - 3rd International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Data Science
- CIS 2020 - Congress on Intelligent System
Workshops co-organized at Center for Computational Engineering and Networking (CEN), Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
- Primer on Artificial Intelligence and Data Science (20 - 28, January 2019)
- Summer course on AI and Data science (21st May 2018 - 1st June 2018)
- Workshop on Data -Driven Modelling 2018 (8 -9 January, 2018 )
- DeepChem 2017: Deep Learning & NLP for Computational Chemistry, Biology & Nano-materials (22-24 December, 2017)
- A Refresher experiential course on linear algebra and Optimization for Most Modern Signal processing and pattern classification (25 - 27 November, 2017 )
- DeepSci 2017 Workshop: Deep Learning for Healthcare and Financial Data Analytics (11 November, 2017)
- AISec 2017 Workshop: Modern Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) Techniques for Cyber Security (28 October, 2017 )
- Shared task cum workshop on Machine Translation in Indian Languages - MTIL 2017 (7-8 September, 2017)
- Workshop on Web Application and Cyber Security (30 November - 4 December, 2015)
- Workshop on High Performance Computing and Bigdata Analytics (19 September 2015)
- Workshop on Formal Methods for Software Design and Verifications (10 January 2015)
- Workshop on Big Data and Probabilistic Graphical Models (27-29 December 2014)
- Workshop on Distributed Computing Algorithms (for machine learning) and Apache-Spark Framework for Big Data Analytics (30 October - 1 November, 2014)
- Workshop on Sparse Image & Signal Processing (SISP -2011)
- Machine learning, Deep learning, Probabilistic Graphical Model, Kernel methods, Explicit random feature mapping algorithms, Compressive sensing, Natural Language Processing, Computational processing in Indian languages
- Programming languages
- Python, Matlab, C, Octave, Julia, Weka
- Deep learning / Machine learning tools and frameworks
- Tensorflow, Keras, NLTK, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Gurls, LibSVM, Deep learning toolbox - Matlab, Matlab NLP-Master, cvx, cvxpy, OpenNMT, Word2vec, FastText, Bert, PyDMD, Spacy
- Operating system
- Linux and Windows
- Documentation tools
- LaTex, Microsoft office, LibreOffice
Get in Touch
CENTER FOR COMPUTATIONAL ENGINEERING AND NETWORKING (CEN)
AMRITA SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING, COIMBATORE
AMRITA VISHWA VIDYAPEETHAM - 641112 (PIN)
prem [dot] jb [at] gmail [dot] com
b_premjith [at] cb [dot] amrita [dot] edu
(+91) 9597141816 / (+91) 9495181122