Dr Pengcheng Liu
Phone: +44(0) 2920416615
Address: Room O.55B
Cardiff School of Technologies
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Cardiff, CF5 2YB, UK
I'm a Senior Lecturer in Engineering and Design Technology at Cardiff School of Technologies, Cardiff Metropolitan University, UK. Before joining Cardiff, I have held several academic positions including a Research Fellowship (2017-2018) jointly at Lincoln Centre for Autonomous Systems (LCAS) and Lincoln Institute of Agri-Food Technology (LIAT), University of Lincoln, UK, a Research Assistant (2016) and a Teaching Assistant (2014, 2015) at Bournemouth University, UK, and a Lectureship (2008-2013) at Zhongyuan University of Technology, China. I also held academic positions as a Visiting Fellow (2014, 2015) at Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China and Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
I received a BEng degree in Measurement and Control Technology and Instrumentation, a MSc degree in Control Theory and Control Engineering, in 2007 and 2012 respectively, and a Ph.D degree in Robotics and Control in 2017. I'm an active member of IEEE and IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. I've published over 50 journal and conference papers and I received the Outstanding Contribution Awards from Elsevier in 2017. I was selected as regular Fundings/Grants reviewer for EPSRC, NIHR and NSFC. I have great experience in securing and involving in research projects and grants, including EPSRC, Innovate UK, Horizon 2020, Erasmus Mundus, FP7-PEOPLE, HEIF, NHS I4I, NSFC, etc. I also serve as a regular reviewer for about 30 mainstream journals and 8 flagship conferences across the domains of Robotics, artificial intelligence, and Control.
I am always looking for talented, highly motivated PhD applicants with Master degree or BSc/BEng degree in Engineering / Computer Science / Applied Mathematics. PhD positions with possible full/partial studentships in the area of:
- Design and control of bio-inspired/soft robotic system, including self-propelled vibro-driven mobile robots, and rigid/flexible arm and gripper systems.
- Robot motion/path planning and optimization in complex environment using machine learning and expert-guided demonstrations.
- Prosthetics and rehablitations using robotics and deep learning through EEG/ sEMG signals and Brian-Computer Interfaces (BCI).
- Effectively and efficiently managing, analysing and exploring Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS), Internet of Things (IoT), Human-in-the-Loop shared control and automation, etc. into fields of robotics, agri-food, future manufacturing and healthcare.
Potential candidates are encouraged to contact Dr Pengcheng Liu directly for informal discussions.
- Being selected as a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) funding reviewer
- Paper accepted at IROS 2019!
A. Shyam, P. Lightbody, G. Das, P. Liu, S. Gomez-Gonzalez and G. Neumann, “Improving local trajectory optimisation using probabilistic movement primitives,” the 2019 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2019), 2019.
- Paper accepted at Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics 2019!
M. N. Huda, P. Liu, C. Saha, N. Naz, S. M. Aziz, “Design of a Novel Hybrid Robot for In-Vivo Applications,” Workshop on *Endovascular Intervention* at the Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics 2019, 2019.
- Joined International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC)
- Being selected as a Member of EPSRC Peer Review College
- Paper accepted at TAROS 2019
A. Cachia, M. N. Huda, P. Liu, C. Saha, A. Tickle, J. Arvanitakis, S. M. Aziz, “Development and evaluation of a novel robotic system for search and rescue ,” 20th Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems (TAROS) Conference, 2019.
- I'm invited to give a speech at the 3rd Micius Forum (墨子论坛) hosted by The University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), 18th-21st April, Hefei, China, 2019. [Media 1] [Media 2] [Media 3] [Media 4] [Media 5]
- Paper accepted at EWCO
P. Liu, M. N. Huda, Z. Tang and L. Sun, “A self-propelled robotic system with a visco-elastic joint: dynamics and motion analysis,” Engineering with Computers (Impact Factor: 3.551), 2019, pp. 1-15. DOI: 10.1007/s00366-019-00722-3. [BibTex] [Download PDF]
- Paper accepted at IEEE Sensors Journal
L. Sun, C. Zhao, Z. Yan, P. Liu, T. Duckett and R. Stolkin, “A novel weakly-supervised approach for RGB-D-based nuclear waste object detection and categorization,” IEEE Sensor Journal (Impact Factor: 3.076), 2019, DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2018.2888815. [BibTex] [Download PDF]
- Started a new career as a Senior Lecturer at CardiffMet!
- Paper accepted at EJMSOL
Liu, P., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2019. Modelling and analysis of dynamic frictional interactions of vibro-driven capsule systems with viscoelastic property. European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids (Impact Factor: 2.931), 74, pp.16-25. [BibTex] [Download PDF]
- Paper accepted at IROS 2018!
P. Liu, G. Neumann, Q. Fu, S. Pearson and H. Yu, “Energy-efficient design and control of a vibro-driven robot,” the 2018 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2018), 2018, pp. 1464-1469. [BibTex] [Download PDF]
- Paper accepted at ERGON
Tang, Z., Yang, H., Zhang, L. and Liu, P., 2018. Effect of shoulder angle variation on sEMG-based elbow joint angle estimation. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics (Impact Factor: 1.571), 68, pp.280-289. [BibTex] [Download PDF]
- Paper accepted at AAM
- Paper accepted at NODY
Liu, P., Yu, H. and Cang, S., 2018. Optimized adaptive tracking control for an underactuated vibro-driven capsule system. Nonlinear Dynamics (Impact Factor: 4.604), 94(3), pp.1803-1817. [BibTex] [Download PDF]