- Teaching Macroeconomics in CORE: The Economy, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 53, Issue No. 24, 16 Jun, 2018.
- Taxation, Non-Tax Revenue and Democracy: New Evidence Using New Cross-Country Data (with Wilson Prichard and Paola Salardi), World Development, Vol. 109, pp. 295-312, 2018.
- Who are the Global Top 1%? (with Sudhir Anand), World Development, Vol. 95, pp.111-126, 2017.
- The Global Distribution of Income (with Sudhir Anand), in Anthony B. Atkinson and François Bourguignon (eds.), Handbook of Income Distribution, Volume II, North-Holland, 2015.
- Structural Change in Argentina, 1935-1960: The Role of Import Substitution and Factor Endowments (with Darío Debowicz), Journal of Economic History, Vol. 74 Iss. 01, pp 230-258, 2014.
- How to Spend It: Resource Wealth and the Distribution of Resource Rents, Energy Policy, Vol. 51, pp. 340-348, December 2012.
- Resource Rents, Redistribution, and Halving Global Poverty: The Resource Dividend, World Development, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 475-489, 2011.
- Oil Price Shocks and the Macroeconomy, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 169-185, 2011.
- Anatomy of an Oil-Based Welfare State: Rent Distribution in Kuwait (with Laura El-Katiri and Bassam Fattouh), in David Held and Kristian Ulrichsen (eds.), The Transformation of the Gulf States: Politics, Economics and the Global Order, Routledge, 2011, pp. 165-187. Link is to working paper version.
- Debates on the Measurement of Global Poverty (Edited with Sudhir Anand and Joseph E. Stiglitz), Oxford University Press, 2010. Introduction to volume.
- What Do We Know about Global Income Inequality? (with Sudhir Anand) Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 57-94, 2008.
- Equality (with Ben Jackson) (Notes), in A. H. Halsey (ed.), Ethical Socialism for a Prosperous Country, Methuen, 2007. (Updated version of Why Inequality Matters.)
- Inequality Interactions (with Mike Savage).
- Inequality, Living Standards and Growth: Two Centuries of Economic Development in Mexico (with Ingrid Bleynat and Amilcar Challú).
- Fiscal Policy and Natural Resource Entitlements: Who Benefits from Mexican Oil?, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Working Paper WPM 46. An earlier version is here, in Spanish here. Write-up by Reuters here.
- Oil Revenues and Economic Development: The Case of Rajasthan, India, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Working Paper WPM 43.
- Natural Resource Wealth and Directed Technical Change, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, Research Paper 88.
- Review of Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty (translated by Arthur Goldhammer), Renewal Vol. 22 No 3/4, 2014.
- Review of The Haves and the Have-Nots: A Brief and Idiosyncratic History of Global Inequality by Branko Milanovic, The Journal of Economic Inequality December 2013, Vol. 11, Iss. 4, pp 581-583.
- Review of The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier, Renewal, Vol. 16, No. 2.
- Blog Post at INET: Inequality Represents a Wasted Opportunity for Poverty Reduction.
- Inflation expectations are no excuse to raise interest rates
- Government debt is not the problem the coalition claims
- Living with the fiscal deficit is the progressive thing to do
- Why the fiscal deficit is not as scary as the government tells us
- Oil prices did not cause the recession (Now abridged; original here)
- Asinus Muses, ruminations for the Oxford Energy Forum.