Outliers for Better Schools
Click here to read about OUTLIERS
This website gives a name to the non-group of people who support the transformation of schools:
- Replace lectures with ACTIVE LEARNING
- Reduce the number of tests
- Retool schools to allow deeper learning (see School Retool)
- Ask students to PERFORM THEIR UNDERSTANDING with EXHIBITIONS
- Replace GPA and grades with PORTFOLIOS and a FOCUS ON SKILLS
Getting into a good university is not a guarantee of getting a good job
Schools are obsolete. They need to be reinvented.
What are the knowledge, skills and attitudes that our students need to succeed and prepare for the future? In different
Create a high school diploma that is a certificate of mastery of skills, not seat time.
This website got its name from this paragraph in Tony Wagner's book:
While at Harvard University Graduate School of Education, Tony found himself to be a complete outlier. He was almost constantly at odds with the mainstream of education. He is the first to admit that a doctorate from Harvard is important largely because everyone thinks it’s important.
Tony Wagner and Ted Dintersmith, Most Likely to Succeed, page 3