NorCal DB Day 2017
NorCal DB Day is a single-day, workshop-style event where participants from academia and industry in Northern California meet to present ideas and discuss their research and experiences. Earlier NorCal DB Day events have taken place at UC Davis (2011), UC Berkeley (2012), Stanford University (2013), IBM Almaden Research Center (2014), UC Santa Cruz (2015), and Google (2016).
The 2017 edition of NorCal DB Day will take place at Amazon, SFO13 building in San Francisco, on Friday April 28, 2017.
As in previous years, the workshop's program will comprise with a gong show with short updates from different groups in academia and industry, a poster session, and invited talks. This year's speakers include Yannis Papakonstantinou (UCSD) and Mike Carey (UCI) on SQL++, Alex Smola (AWS) on the Future of Machine Learning, Matei Zaharia (Stanford) on the Future of Spark, Joe Hellerstein and Jeff Heer (Trifacta), Todd J. Green (LogicBlox) and Anurag Gupta about Database Services at AWS.
Invitations with a link to the registration form have been sent. If you wish you attend this event, the deadline for registration is April 15.
Program (Preliminary -- subset to changes)
8:30-9:00 -- Breakfast
9:00-9:45 -- Matei Zaharia (Stanford and Databricks) -- The Future of Spark
9:45-10:30 -- Yannis Papakonstantinou (UCSD) & Mike Carey (UCI) -- SQL++
10:30-11 -- Coffee Break and poster session
11:00-11:45 -- Jeff Heer (Trifacta)
11:45-12:15 -- Gong Show Part I (Mostly Academia)
- Tirthankar Lahiri (Oracle America) -- Oracle Database 12.2 In-Memory: In-Memory Dual Format ++
- Alin Deutsch (UC San Diego) -- View-based Query Rewriting in Hybrid Stores
- Alex Dekhtyar (Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo) -- What's going on at Cal Poly
- Peter Alvaro (UC Santa Cruz) -- Does your fault-tolerant data management system tolerate faults?
- John Wu (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) -- Scientific Data Services – Autonomous Data Management on Exascale Infrastructure
12:15-1:30 -- Lunch Break and poster session
1:30-2:15 -- Anurag Gupta (AWS) -- Database Services at AWS
2:15-3:00 -- Todd J. Green (LogicBlox) -- The Design and Implementation of the LogicBlox System
3:00-3:30 -- Coffee Break and poster session
3:30-4:15 -- Alex Smola (AWS) -- The Future of ML
4:15-5:00 -- Gong Show Part II (Industry)
- Florin Rusu (UC Merced) -- OLA-RAW: Scalable Exploration over Raw Data
- Wang-Chiew Tan (Recruit) -- Preparing your data with BigGorilla ... and a small gorilla
- C. Mohan (IBM Research - Almaden) -- Blockchains and Databases
- Alkis Polyzotis (Google) -- It's the data, stupid!
- Marcin Zukowski (Snowflake) -- The State of Snowflake
- Rajkumar Sen (Striim inc) -- High velocity stream analytics
- Rima Mutreja (Datometry) -- Your database goes to the cloud -- but what about your applications?
- Pinar Tozun (IBM Research - Almaden) -- Evolving Databases for New-Gen Big Data Applications
- Siying Dong (Facebook) -- MyRocks: A space- and write-optimized MySQL database
- Sailesh Krishnamurthy (AWS) -- Databases for the Cloud
The workshop will take place at Amazon, building SFO13, CONF US SFO13 02.215-217.
188 Spear Street, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105.
** Please note that this building is pretty strict and we need to provide the finalized attendee list at least two weeks prior to grant access. People that haven't provided this information in advance, won’t be able to get into the building.