North East pro-European Network
What is this website?
This site is one of a set of sites intended to cover the whole of the UK (index page) to help you find and work with the relevant pro-Europe groups in your area. So it is part of UKPEN.eu. You can navigate to your area using the drop-down menus at the top right (PC) or top left (mobile devices). Please send any comments or requests for editing permissions to neproeurnet at gmail.com
What is it for?
The idea behind this work is that we need to see who we are, where we are and who our neighbours are. This is essential to plug the gaps in our network and to be ready for any new chance to vote. The constituency pages (there's a provisional example of a relatively well filled out constituency page here, Aberconwy ) are supposed to help everyone get to grips with:
- the important task of corresponding with MPs to make our wishes and feelings known. You can get help doing this either through the national campaigns Represent Us, and Best for Britain, or by plugging in to their targeted operations in particular constituencies, and throughout constituencies in this part of the UK.
- developing maps right down to ward level to help activists cover their streets with leaflets and door to door conversations, and to keep a log of where they have been and where they have not been, whichever organisation or group they are working for. These resources can be held off this site, but the more linked up they are here, the more they can be shared across different groups working in the same area.
How do I use it?
To find what constituency you live in use this tool: https://mapit.mysociety.org/. An index to all constituencies in the North East is here. Individual constituency pages are grouped under their unitary authority or metropolitan districts, themselves grouped into 3 areas. Join your constituency group and start work for Europe! Join your national or area group to take part in events and discussions. The main national or area groups in the North East of England are listed below, for more local groups follow the links to sub-pages.
To get alerts on your MP's activity in Westminster use "They work for you" https://www.theyworkforyou.com/alert/
In the North East there is one Metropolitan county, seven unitary authorities and 29 Westminster constituencies. *
Groups serving the whole region:
- The 48% North East Groups Index: https://www.facebook.com/groups/103218453499827/
- The 48% North East Groups Discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukpennortheast/
- North East for Europe (48% and Beyond): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1836709926561788/ ; https://facebook.com/ne4eu
- Open Britain North East: https://www.facebook.com/OpenBritainNE/
- Best for Britain (North and North East) : https://www.facebook.com/groups/175360573037915/
The region is organised here in two areas (member numbers as of August 2018)
2. Cleveland, County Durham
In the North East Region, The Metropolitan County of Tyne and Wear consists of five Metropolitan Districts (Newcastle, Sunderland, Gateshead, North and South Tyneside), whilst the rest of the region is made up of unitary authorities: two large rural ones Northumberland and County Durham, and five smaller authorities Darlington and the Teesside authorities, known as Cleveland . There are 29 constituencies, only one more than the West Midlands Metropolitan County, and because of the concentration of pro-European activity under one large regional group in the North East, it would be invidious to divide the region into areas. Nonetheless, for ease of presentation Tyne and Wear is grouped here with Northumberland, and Cleveland with County Durham.