NeMPo (Neutron and Muon Users in Portugal, https://fisica-materia-condensada.spf.pt/NeMPo) is a group of portuguese researchers, founded in 2018, that regularly use neutron and/or muon techniques, comprising members from the areas of Physics, Chemistry, Biophysics/Biochemistry, Archaeometry and Engineering.
- The NeMPo Group aims at organizing periodic Workshops, up to 3 - 4 per year, with the duration of one afternoon – Neutron and Muons: from Science to Society.
Building on previous meetings, these workshops will contribute to foster scientific cooperation and spread of knowledge within the NeMPo area of research, as well as to sustain a fruitful contact among members.
- Each workshop will be dedicated to a specific subject, and will comprise up to 5 communications by national and international experts, upon invitation by the organising committee – two 40 min lectures (by senior researchers) and up to three 20 min talks, both followed by a short discussion period (the lectures may be made available online, should the authors give their permission).
- Special emphasis will be given to applications of neutron and muon techniques in diverse areas – such as Physics, Nuclear Technology, Radiation Protection, Materials, Environment, Biology, Medicine or Archaeometry. This will ensure the interest of colleagues outside NeMPo, which are welcome to participate in these events.
- Participation of junior researchers, namely MSc and PhD students as well as undergraduate students, will be encouraged.
- Outreach and dissemination amongst non-experts and non-educated audiences will be sought.
- The program of the Workshops will be available at the NeMPo webpage (https://fisica-materia-condensada.spf.pt/NeMPo), as well as the abstracts of the lectures.
- With a view to prompt a lively discussion after each talk, we encourage the participants to send us their queries prior to the event.
- The first Neutron&Muon Data Club is scheduled for the 19th January 2022 (14h30-18h CET / 13h30-18h GMT) and will be held online, under the subject: Neutron Scattering Techniques - Research and Applications in Biosciences and Materials: Part I – Applications in Biosciences (1.5 h); Part II - Applications in Materials (1.5 h).
We urge you to participate, and to bring a friend!
The organizing Committee:
Joaquim Agostinho Moreira (Univ. Porto)
Maria Paula Marques (Univ. Coimbra)
Pedro Vaz (Inst. Sup. Técnico/Lisboa)
Rui Vilarinho (Univ. Porto)