Join the Band
Join the Band
The Maryland Youth Pipe Band is open to all students. Typically, members are in 4th through 12th grades, and no prior musical experience is necessary. The band is open and welcomes all students who are interested in becoming a bagpiper or Scottish drummer and joining a community where relationships often last a lifetime.
Annual Member dues are currently set at $100 per member with a maximum of $200 per family.
• Weekly group instruction is provided by accomplished musicians at no additional cost to members.
• Each beginner bagpipe player is required to purchase a Practice Chanter for about $80.
• Pipers purchase their own set of bagpipes when they are musically ready. These cost about $1,000 and up. If a piping student is unable to afford bagpipes, the Pipe Band can offer a loaner set based on availability.
• Each beginner snare drummer is required to purchase drumsticks and drum pad (about $80).
• Each beginner tenor drummer is required to purchase drumsticks (about $80).
• Snare, Tenor and Bass Drums are provided by the Band.
• Uniforms are provided by the band (members provide long and short sleeve white shirts and black oxford shoes).
• If payment of any of these fees is a hardship, the Band will work on alternate arrangements.
• Band members are required to participate in band activities, many of which are paid performances. Performance fees fund our instructors and other band expenses, keeping dues low.
Pipe Band Practices
The Maryland Youth Pipe Band practices Thursday nights from 7 to 9 pm during the school year. And on a modified schedule during the summer.
Practices are held at The Elk's Lodge, 5 Taft Court, Rockville, Maryland, 20850.
Participation in the band is open to anyone of school age who is willing to practice regularly, attend practices, and participate in band activities. Contact our Band Director, Lisa Frazier, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.