- The Role of Social and Emotional Skills and Supports for Hmong Student Achievement (2018. Hmong Studies Journal.)
- Effects of Participation in School Sports on Academic and Social Functioning (2016. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology.)
- Evaluating Measurement Invariance in the Measurement of Developmental Assets in Latino English Language Groups Across Developmental Stages (2015. Sage Open.)
Reports based on the MN Student Survey
- Be@School Presentation, August 22, 2018
- 2016 MN Student-Community Profiles of Developmental Skills/Supports
[Individual Race/Ethnicity Specific Profiles, includes a special version of the full report suitable for double-sided printing.]
- Listening to Students: What MN Youth tell us about their Developmental Skills, Supports, and Challenges. (Presented May 2, 2018 at the MN Disproportionality Convening at MDE)
- 2013-16 MN Student Survey Statewide Summary Report (Developmental Skills, Supports, & Challenges)
- 2013-16 MSS Technical Report (Variable Construction Methods & Psychometrics)
- Exploring Developmental Skills, Supports, & Challenges of MN Youth in Unique Communities (Presented at the 2017 Educational Equity in Action Convening, University of Minnesota)
2018 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Mental distress: Risk and protective factors among American Indian youth.
- School and community sports participation and positive youth developmental: A multilevel analysis.
- The role of out-of-school-time positive experiences on risky behaviors.
- Do LGB students feel safe and why does it matter?
- In what ways do health behaviors impact academic performance, educational aspirations, and commitment to learning?
- A pathway to resilience for students who experience trauma: A structural equation modeling approach.
- Investigating socioeconomic status proxies: is one proxy enough?
2018 Annual Meeting of the National Council on Measurement in Education (NCME)
- Response processes in noncognitive measures: Validity evidence from explanatory item response modeling.
- Measurement invariance in noncognitive measures: Validity approach using explanatory item response modeling.
- Comprehensive partitioning of student achievement variance to inform equitable policy design.
2016 AERA & NCME
- Measuring Being Bullied in the Context of Racial and Religious DIF
- Investigating Linear and Nonlinear Item Parameter Drift with Explanatory IRT Models
- Healthy Choices and their Associations with Academic Achievement and Future School Plans
- Achieving Goals: The Role of Support and Structure for Latina/o Student Post High-School Goals
- LGB Students and School Sports: A Positive Youth Development Approach
- A Re-Examination of the Importance of Students’ School Connectedness
- Rigorous Measurement from a Statewide Youth Survey
- After-School Participation and the Association with Developmental Outcomes
- School Sports and Positive Youth Development
- Exploring American Indian Students’ Non-response to Educational Goals
- The Influence of Individual, Family-Related, and Structural Factors on Latino Students’ Academic Performance: Ethnic and Age Variation
- Implications of Using Multilevel Latent Class Analyses on School Policy Interventions
- Investigating the Effects of School Sports on Academic and Social Outcomes
- Examining the Importance of Students’ Sense of Belonging in School
- Examining After School Activities: Do Breadth and Intensity Matter?
2013 AERA & NCME
2012 AERA & NCME
- A Look at Out-of-School-Time Activities and Individual Characteristics of Youth (2008, U of Minnesota Extension Service)
- Assets in Individual, Family, and Community-Based Research—Latino Style (2007, Centro Campesino, MN)
- Latino Youth Development: A Vision of Success in a Period of Empirical Drought (2002, AERA)