Maanak Gupta is currently a postdoctoral fellow in Computer Science at The University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas, USA, where he works with Prof. Ravi Sandhu at the Institute for Cyber Security. His area of concentration is security and privacy in computer and cyber systems with focus on access control models and enforcement in technology domains including IoT, Smart Cars, Cyber Physical Systems, Big Data and Cloud Computing. He is also interested in secure Blockchain, AI and Machine Learning derived solutions for malware classification and clustering. Prior to joining UTSA, he received MS in Information Systems from Northeastern University, Boston, USA, in year 2012.
- Jan 2019 : Joining as Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Institute for Cyber Security.
- Nov 2018 : Successfully defended PhD Dissertation Defense.
- Nov 2018 : Paper accepted at ACM CODASPY 2019, Dallas, USA.
- June 2018 : Our research featured in Rivard Report - "UTSA Researchers Study Cyberthreats for Connected, Smart Cars".
- May 2018 : UTSA press release - "UTSA researchers create security framework to stop cyber attacks on internet-connected smart cars" .
- May 2018 : Our research featured in Business Journal - "UTSA researchers explore cybersecurity tools for autonomous vehicles".
- April 2018 : Poster 'Access Control Needs in Smart Cars' accepted at IEEE Symposium S&P (Oakland'18), San Francisco, USA.
- April 2018 : Awarded IEEE Symposium S&P (Oakland'18) Travel grant, San Francisco, USA.
- April 2018 : Paper accepted at ACM SACMAT 2018, Indianapolis, USA.
- Jan 2018 : Paper accepted at ACM ABAC 2018, Tempe Arizona.
- Oct 2017 : Awarded Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC) Student Travel Grant, Dec 5-8 2017, Orlando, Florida.
- Sep 2017 : Poster accepted at UTSA College of Sciences Research Conference, Texas, USA.
- Aug 2017 : Successfully defended PhD dissertation proposal.
- July 2017 : Presented a research paper at DBSec 2017, Philadelphia, USA.
- June 2017 : Presented a research paper and poster at SACMAT 2017, Indianapolis, USA.
- April 2017 : Two Papers accepted at DBSec and SACMAT 2017.
I am primarily interested in Security and Privacy in Cyber space. My current focus is mainly on:
- Foundational aspects in authorization including Access Control Models and Formal safety analysis.
- Application of formalized models in:
- Internet of Things, Smart Connected Cars and Cyber Physical Systems.
- Hadoop, Big Data and Cloud Computing.
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency.
- Research Assistant, Institute for Cyber Security, University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas, USA, 2015 - present.
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas, USA, 2014 - 2015.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, DIT University, Dehradun, India, 2012 - 2014.
I was born in Karnal, Haryana, India where I was raised in local vicinity playing cricket, volleyball, badminton etc. I like to travel and visit new places, play outdoor sports, and cardio exercise. I am an enthusiast of current affairs and avid listener of television debates. I am keen to learn new vocabulary words, idioms and phrases. I am also a freelance event manager and have worked with several associations to organize cultural and social events.
I am married and have a son.