Lindy Orwin, PhD. is an award winning, freelance, educational consultant and project manager. Lindy is contracted by educational institutions, corporations, non-profit organizations and individuals on short and long term projects that make use of emerging and online technologies for adult professional learning and students' education.
Special areas of experience include:
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) engagement through the use of citizen science.
- The adoption of new and emerging technologies including immersive worlds and games in formal and informal educational settings
- Professional development of educators related to the integration of technology into pedagogy (K-12), andragogy (adult learning) and heutagogy (developing and supporting self managed learners).
- Action Learning in face-to-face and online modes including teaching others how to facilitate Action Learning based professional development.
- 3D virtual worlds including Second Life and OpenSim where her avatar's name is Decka Mah.
- Project design, research and management of educational technology projects.
Current and recent projects:
- Using technology to engage youth and adults in citizen science for Natural Resource Management.
- Using remote access technologies in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths (STEAM) education.
- Using Remote Access Laboratories in education for the University of Southern Queensland, Digital Futures Collaborative Research Network (2012-2015)
- Development of a prototype of a STEM themed virtual world for girls for the Edlab Group, Lynnwood, WA., USA. (2011 -2012)
- Research project manager of the SPICE Project, using scenario-based educational videos created in Second Life for Social Work and Pharmacy programs in the School of Science and Technology at the University of New England. Australia. (2011 - 2012)
- Researching the use of Second Life as a professional learning venue with support from the Queensland State Government, Australia (2005 - 2012).
- Action Learning program about using Second Life in educational settings for groups of international participants. (2007 - 2011)
- Developing a virtual worlds strategy and managing the virtual worlds assets for the University of Southern Queensland, Australia (2007 - 2011)
- Research into the use of virtual worlds for Xerox Research Labs, Rochester, NY (2007 - 2008).