The Leisurely Scientist
Posted July 19, 2018
LATEST IMAGE - Last Evening's Moon - July 18, 2018
Here is a four image composite of last evening's moon. Each image was the best 25% of 5,000 frames.
Tech Specs: Sky-Watcher Esprit 120mm ED Triplet APO Refractor, Celestron CGEM-DX mount, ZWO ASI290MC, Televue Powermate 2.5X. Image date: July 18, 2018. Location: The Dark Side Observatory, Weatherly, PA, USA.
Greetings, and welcome to Leisurely Scientist! My name is Tom Wildoner, I have loved the science field, particularly the "Natural Sciences" since I was a child (a long time ago). This photo blog is my attempt to share science through photographs and also to help me organize my work. My interests are wide and include astrophotography, bird and nature photography, landscapes, waterfalls, macrophotography, and more. I hope to share some science information through my photography. I will try and explain processing techniques, equipment setup, and more. I hope you enjoy yourself here and put some of what you learn use. Comments and questions are always appreciated!
You can find me on TWITTER as @tdsobservatory, my image portfolio is available on FLICKR, and I post on REDDIT as leisurelyscientist and on Google+ as Thomas Wildoner. I also post images on my Facebook account at https://www.facebook.com/tom.wildoner
My images have been used on UNIVERSE TODAY, EARTHSKY, The Washington Post, Sky and Telescope, Pennsylvania Parks and Forests Foundation, Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD), Amateur Astronomy Picture of the Day and numerous online media outlets and E-Magazines. I have a liberal policy regarding my images, they can be shared as long as credit is given for the image and the image is not edited in any way.
I also manage the Dark Side Observatory in Weatherly, Pennsylvania. The observatory can also be followed on FACEBOOK at https://www.facebook.com/thedarksideobservatory.
Wishing you clear skies!
- Alpine Tundra Ecosystem of Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado - EPOD
- Amateur Astronomy Picture of the Day (http://www.aapodx2.com/2016/20161022.html)
- Amateur Astronomy Picture of the Day (http://www.aapodx2.com/2016/20160723.html)
- EarthSky.org - Dumbbell Nebula, Acadia at 3am, Albireo, What is a Conjunction?, Love is in the Air, Nova Sagittarii observation, Andromeda Galaxy, 17-year cicadas of 2013, and many more.
- Technology.org - How Supernova 2014J Will Help Determine the Extragalactic Distance Scale and Impact Cosmology
- AccuWeather.com - Top Five Photos of the Geminid Meteor Shower
- Amateur Astrophotography Ezine - Nightscape Images
- Universe Today - Comet PANSTARRS
- Hudson Valley Magazine
- The Power of Water - EPOD
- Lepidodendron Fossil - EPOD
- Mammatus Clouds Over Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania - EPOD
- Horned Oak Gall - EPOD
- Cosmic Pursuits (Short Video of Comet C/2015 F4)
- LensBaby (meteor shower photography)
- Drinking Water Leak Detection
- The Backyard Naturalist (Baltimore Oriole)
A short video showing the construction of the Dark Side Observatory from the design to first light.