I have supervised c. 70 M.Phil. and 16 PhD dissertations.
Applications are invited from candidates wishing to conduct doctoral research in my areas of specialisation.
Current PhD students:
- Xiaoxuan Chen
- Sadiyah Shahidullah
- 2017. Eleni Savva, 'Subsentential speech from a contextualist perspective'
- 2017. Luca Sbordone, 'The contextual adjective: On indexicality, gradability, and vagueness in the adjectival domain'
- 2017. Michael Keane, 'Time and modality in the human mind, and the particular commonality between them: Linguistic and psychological investigations'
- 2017. Roberto Sileo, 'The semantics and pragmatics of racial and ethnic slurring language: Towards a comprehensive radical contextualist account'. Currently Affiliated Lecturer, University of Cambridge
- 2015. Chi-Hé Elder, 'On the forms of conditionals and the functions of if'. Currently Lecturer in Linguistics, University of East Anglia
- 2013. Minyao Huang, 'Vagueness in language use: Problems and pseudo-problems'. Currently Research Fellow, Sun Yat-sen University
- 2012. Eleni Kapogianni, 'Irony and the literal versus nonliteral distinction: A typological approach with focus on ironic implicature and strength'. Currently Lecturer, University of Kent
- 2010. Anna Schneider, 'Understanding the primary meaning: A study with reference to requests in Russian and British English'
- 2009. Alyson Pitts, 'Metamessages of denial: The pragmatics of English negation'. Currently GB Senior Analytical Linguist, Google
- 2006. Jiranthara Srioutai, 'Conceptualisation of time in Thai with special reference to d1ay1II, kh3oe:y, k1aml3ang, y3u:I and c1a'. Currently Associate Professor, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok
- 2001. Marina Terkourafi, 'Politeness in Cypriot Greek: A frame-based approach'. Currently Professor and Chair of Sociolinguistics, University of Leiden
- 2001. Hye-Kyung Lee, 'The semantics and pragmatics of connectives with reference to English and Korean'. Currently Associate Professor, Ajou University, South Korea
Updated 24 October 2019