Ph.D Candidate (advisor: Prof. Jaekyun Moon)
Jy-yong Sohn received the B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, Korea, in 2014 and 2016. He is currently pursuing the Ph.D. degree in KAIST. His research interests include coding for distributed storage/computing, distributed learning and information theory. He received the KAIST Global Leader Fellowship in 2019, the KAIST EE Best Research Achievement Award in 2018, the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) Best Paper Award in 2017, and the Qualcomm Innovation Award in 2015, 2019.
- [Nov.2019] Our paper won the Qualcomm-KAIST Innovation Award 2019 (Paper title: "Hierarchical Broadcast Coding: Expediting Distributed Learning at the Wireless Edge")
- [Oct.2019-Mar.2020] I started Visiting Student program in University of Wisconsin-Madison
- [Oct.2019] Two papers submitted to IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Information Theory (Special Issue on Deep Learning: Mathematical Foundations and Applications to Information Science)
- J. Sohn, D. -J. Han, B. Choi and J. Moon, "Election Coding for Distributed Learning: Protecting SignSGD against Byzantine Attacks" [Arxiv]
- D. -J. Han, J. Sohn, and J. Moon, "Hierarchical Broadcast Coding: Expediting Distributed Learning at the Wireless Edge"
- [Oct.2019] Won the KAIST Kim Younghan (金英韓) Global Leader Fellowship 2019 (Awarded for outstanding Ph.D. Students in KAIST)
- [Aug.2019] Our paper titled "Explicit Constructions of MBR and MSR Codes for Clustered Distributed Storage" has been submitted to IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
- [June.2019] Our paper titled "Secure clustered distributed storage against eavesdropping" has been accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
- [Apr.2019] Won the KAIST EE Best Research Achievement Award (Kim Choong-Ki Award) 2018.
- [Apr.2019] Three papers accepted at IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT) 2019
- B. Choi, J. Sohn, D. -J. Han and J. Moon, "Scalable Network-Coded PBFT Consensus Algorithm"
- D. -J. Han, J. Sohn and J. Moon, "Coded Distributed Computing over Packet Erasure Channels"
- M. Kim, J. Sohn and J. Moon, "Coded Matrix Multiplication on a Group-Based Model"