Welcome to Jiong Jin's Homepage
Dr Jiong Jin is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Software and Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology, Swinburne University of Technology. He received the B.Eng degree with First Class Honours in Computer Engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 2006, and Ph.D. degree from the University of Melbourne, Australia, in 2011. Before joining Swinburne, Jiong was a Research Fellow in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne from 2011 to 2013, where he was also affiliated with ARC Research Network on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP). The research focus of Jiong is on design, control and performance optimization of networked and embedded systems such as Internet of Things (IoT) and networked robotics. More specifically, his research interests include network design and optimization, fog and edge computing, robotics and automation, Internet of Things and cyber-physical systems as well as their applications in smart manufacturing, smart transportation and smart cities. The goal of his research is to develop foundational theories and tools for concrete understanding and modelling of network system dynamics, to design scalable architecture and distributed algorithms for better performance, efficiency and robustness, and to further provide predictions that can be quantitatively verified by empirical data.
Meanwhile, Jiong is currently serving within the Advisory Committee of Chinese Association of Professionals and Scholars (CAPS), Australia, which is a professional organization established in 2006 and officially registered under the Victorian government in 2012. CAPS aims to promote academic communications and cultural exchanges between Australia and China, and now has over 500 members and a close contact with over 800 young researchers from universities and institutions across Victoria.
- Jiong has received a commendation for the 2019 Faculty Mid-Career Researcher Excellence Award.
- Ambarish Kulkarni and Jiong Jin have kicked off an IMCRC project with Sleep Corp to develop a novel virtual manufacturing system worth $2.2 million using industrial IoT and robotics. [Media Release]
- Jiong Jin has been awarded an Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project 2019, entitled "Real-time Internet of Things Algorithms with Performance Guarantees", together with Prof. M. Palaniswami (Lead), A/Prof. T. Alpcan from the University of Melbourne and Prof. B. Krishnamachari from USC.
- Dr. Zhishu Shen, from KDDI Research Japan, visited the group on 9-11 Oct 2018.
- Jiong has been invited by Engineering Department of Roma Tre University, Rome, Italy as a visiting professor to research visit the department in June/July 2018 and to give a lecture series on Real-time Internet of Things.
- Congratulations to Boda on receiving 2017 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Students Abroad.
- Congratulations to Mahbuba on receiving CSIRO Data61 research scholarship.
- Prof. Chunjie Zhou from Huazhong University of Science and Technology visited the group on 26 Nov 2017.
- Prof. Shanzhi Chen, Vice President of Datang Telecom Technology & Industry Group, visited the group on 18 Oct 2017.
- Congratulations to Akhlaqur on receiving an IEEE Globecom 2017 Student Travel Grant, and also winning the Faculty 3 Minute Thesis Competition for his topic "Robots with their Heads in the Cloud".
- Prof. Yu-Ning Dong from Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications visited the group on 27 Sep 2017.
- Jiong has been invited to visit KDDI Research Japan in Jan 2017, supported by NICT Japan through Japan Trust International Research Cooperation Program.
- Jiong has attended Globecom 2016, and visited and presented a talk in Center for Cyber-Physical Systems and the Internet of Things in USC.
- One SSEE-Data61 summer scholarship 2016-2017 has been awarded to take the internship in the group.
- Jiong has received Top Teaching Award for the unit RME20001 from the Faculty.
© 2017 Jiong Jin All Rights Reserved.