Jason D. Williams
Experience & education
Apple/Siri, Senior manager, Language understanding, 2018-Present
Microsoft Research, Principal Research Manager, 2012-2018
AT&T Labs Research, Principal Member of Technical Staff, 2006-2012
Cambridge University, Ph D, Engineering Dept, 2002-2006
Edify Corp, Senior consultant - Usability and Speech Technology, 2002-2005
Tellme Networks, Voice Application Development Manager, 2000-2001
McKinsey & Company, Associate, 1999-2000
Cambridge University, Masters, Speech/Language Processing, 1998-1999
Princeton University, BSE, Electrical Engineering, 1994-1998
jdw [at} alumni (dot] princeton [dot) edu
Appointments, editor, and organizer roles
- AAAI Workshop on statistical and empirical methods in spoken dialogue systems, organizer, 2006.
- Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Area co-chair, Dialogue and Interactive Systems, 2018.
- Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Senior area chair, Dialogue and Interactive Systems, 2019.
- AVIxD / IxDA Workshop: Designing for multi-modal interaction, Co-chair, organizing committee, 2012.
- Association for Voice Interaction Design (AVIxD), Board of directors, Treasurer, 2010-2012.
- ICAPS Workshop: POMDP Practitioners Workshop: solving real-world POMDP problems, Organizing committee, 2010.
- IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding (ASRU), Co-general chair, 2015.
- IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding (ASRU), Technical Chair (Dialog area), 2013.
- IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding (ASRU), Organizing committee, publicity chair, 2011.
- Deep RL meets structured prediction, workshop at ICLR, 2019.
- Dialogue and Discourse: Special Issue on Dialogue State Tracking, Co-lead guest editor, 2015.
- Dialog State Tracking Challenge / Dialog System Techology Challenge (DSTC): Organizer DSTC1-DSTC5; Steering committee DSTC6
- NAACL, Area chair, Dialogue and Interactive Systems, 2015.
- NAACL-HLT Demonstration program co-chair, 2007.
- NeurIPS/NIP workshop on Conversational AI - today's practice and tomorrow's potential: 2019, 2018, 2017
- Real Dialog Data Challenge, Advisory board, 2013-2014.
- IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing: Special Issue on Advances in Spoken Dialogue Systems and Mobile Interface (vol 6, issue 8), Co-lead guest editor, 2012.
- SIGDIAL - Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue, President emeritus, 2019-present.
- SIGDIAL - Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue, President 2017-2019.
- SIGDIAL - Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue, Vice-President, 2013-2017.
- SIGDIAL Conference, Program committee Co-chair, 2013.
- SIGDIAL Conference, Organizing committee, sponsorship chair, 2012 and 2011.
- SIGDIAL Conference, mentoring program coordinator, 2010.
- SIGDIAL - Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialogue, Science Advisory Committee, 2007-2012.
- IEEE Open Journal of Signal Processing (OJSP), Associate Editor, 2019-present.
- IEEE Workshop on Speech and Language Technology (SLT), Advisory Board, 2016.
- IEEE Workshop on Spoken Language Technologies (SLT), Organizing committee, co-finance chair, 2012.
- IEEE Speech and Language Technical Committee (SLTC), Elected member, 2015-2019; 2009-2011.
- IEEE SLTC Newsletter, Editor-in-chief, 2009-2011.
- Spoken Dialogue Challenge, Organizing Committee: 2010-2012.
- Young researchers' roundtable on spoken dialogue systems, organizer, 2005.
Journal reviewing and grant panelist
- Transactions of the ACL (TACL) reviewer: 2016, 2017, 2018.
- IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing reviewer: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007.
- Computer Speech and Language reviewer: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.
- Computational Linguistics reviewer: 2009.
- Speech Communication reviewer: 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008.
- Journal of Natural Language Engineering reviewer: 2008.
- ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing: 2012, 2011, 2010.
- Pattern Recognition Letters reviewer: 2010.
- IEEE Signal Processing Magazine reviewer: 2007.
- Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part B: Cybernetics reviewer: 2012.
- User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (UMUAI): 2015.
- Service on 6 grant review panels, for US and international funding agencies.
Conference program committees
- AAAI program committee: 2018.
- ACL program committee: 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.
- ASRU program committee: 2017, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007.
- CHI reviewer: 2018, 2013.
- COLING Program committee: 2016, 2014.
- EACL scientific review committee: 2017, 2014, 2012, 2009.
- EMNLP program committee: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2009, 2008, 2006
- EUSIPCO reviewer: 2015.
- ICASSP reviewer: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007.
- ICMI reviewer: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014.
- IJCAI senior program committee: 2015.
- IJCAI program committee: 2011, 2009, 2007.
- IJCNLP program committee: 2017.
- INTERSPEECH Scientific Review Committee: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.
- IUI reviewer: 2015, 2014, 2013.
- IWSDS program committee: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014.
- LREC scientific committee: 2018.
- NAACL reviewer: 2012, 2009, 2007.
- NAACL industry track reviewer: 2018
- NIPS reviewer: 2015, 2010.
- SIGDIAL program committee: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007.
- SIGIR program committee: 2018.
- SLT program committee: 2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008.
Workshop and other program committees
- ACL demo committee: 2011.
- ACL Student Research workshop program committee: 2014, 2015.
- COLING Demonstration session: 2016, 2014.
- COLING Workshop: Spoken language technologies for pervasive speech-based and multimodal applications program committee: 2014, 2008
- Workshop on Speech-centric Natural Language Processing, program committee: 2017 (EMNLP), 2016 (COLING)
- DSTC workshop, reviewer: 2017.
- Domain Adaptation for Dialog Agents Workshop (DADA): 2016
- EACL 2014 Workshop on Dialog in Motion: 2014.
- ECAI/IJCAI/AAAI Workshop on Machine Learning for Interactive Systems (MLIS): 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012
- EMNLP Workshop on Modeling Large Scale Social Interaction in Massively Open Online Courses: 2014.
- Future and Emerging Trends in Language Technologies (FELT): 2015, 2016.
- ICLR Deep Reinforcement Learning Meets Structured Prediction: 2019.
- ICML Workshop on Learning to Generate Natural Language: 2017.
- IJCAI Workshop on Knowledge and Reasoning in Practical Dialogue Systems program committee: 2011, 2009.
- Machine Learning for Spoken Language Understanding and Interactions Workshop (at NIPS): 2015.
- NAACL Student Research workshop program committee: 2015.
- NIPS Workshop on Learning Semantics: 2014.
- NIPS Conversational Intelligence Challenge: 2017.
- RE-WOCHAT (Workshop on Collecting and Generating Resources for Chatbots and Conversational Agents - Development and Evaluation): 2016 (1), 2016 (2)
- SLAM: Joint ISCA/IEEE International Workshop on Speech, Language and Audio in Multimedia: 2013.
- Workshop on Future and Emerging Trends in Language Technology: 2015.
- Workshop on Future directions and needs in the Spoken Dialog Community: Tools and Data scientific committee: 2012.
- Workshop on NLP for Conversational AI: 2019
- Workshop on Speech-Centric Natural Language Processing: 2017
- Young researchers' roundtable on spoken dialogue systems advisory board: 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2006.
Kavosh Asadi, Summer 2016 and 2017. Reinforcement learning with recurrent neural networks for dialog systems. Currently a PhD student with Michael Littman, Brown University.
Hao Fang, Summer 2015. Natural language understanding. Currently a PhD student with Mari Ostendorf, University of Washington.
Nobal Niraula, Summer 2014. Natural language understanding. Currently with Boeing Research & Technology.
Pradeep Dasigi, Summer 2014. Conversational systems. Currently a PhD student with Ed Hovy, CMU.
Ke Zhai, Summer 2013. Dialog modeling. Currently an Applied Scientist at Microsoft.
He He, Summer 2013. Action selection in dialog systems (co-mentored with Lihong Li as lead mentor). Currently a post-doc researcher with Percy Liang at Stanford University.
Angeliki Metallinou, Summer 2012. Belief tracking in dialog systems (co-mentored with Dan Bohus). Currently a Speech Scientist at Amazon.
Ethan Selfridge, Summer 2010 and 2011 at AT&T. Turn-taking in dialog systems. Currently at Interactions Corp.
Hamid Chinaei, Summer 2010 at AT&T. Reinforcement learning for dialog systems. Currently with Nuance Communications.
John Asmuth, Summer 2009 at AT&T. Bayesian approaches to reinforcement learning. Currently at Google.
Lihong Li, Summer 2008 at AT&T. Feature selection in reinforcement learning. Currently a Researcher with Microsoft Research.
Umar Syed, Summer 2007 at AT&T. Learning user models from unlabeled data. Currently a research scientist at Google.
Ethan Selfridge, Oregon Health & Science University (2013)
Rohit Kumar, Carnegie Mellon University (2011).