Welcome to your Online Tutor Training!
The objective for this training is to provide you with the guidance and knowledge to become a literacy volunteer for a literacy organization in our state.
Things to do prior to starting this training.
1. Complete Orientation or Application process with the organization you wish to volunteer for
2. Be directed by the literacy organization to complete this online tutor training
3. Review the Overview of the Training
Outline of Training Workshop
Sample of a Tutor Handbook
An Assessment Worksheet of the knowledge you have gained Is available here!
Additional Training Opportunities & Resources
Pro Literacy offers many courses for volunteers and adult educators. Some are free, some require a Pro Literacy membership. ILA can help, if you aren't a member,
Online Courses and Resources
ProLiteracy Education Network is a comprehensive collection of online courses and resources for adult literacy and ESOL instructors, program staff, trainers, and adult learners.
- ProLiteracy Education Network helps instructors learn new techniques and strategies for teaching reading, writing, math, citizenship, and basic life skills.
- It offers opportunities for program managers to learn how to improve or expand their services.
- It offers trainers online courses and other resources they can incorporate into their pre-service and in-service tutor training.
- And finally it offers students online resources and resources they can print out that help them practice and strengthen the literacy skills they are developing in their local program.
If you need help navigating our new site, watch our orientation video.
- See more at: https://proliteracy.org/Professional-Development/Education-Network#sthash.2ZLgCexO.dpuf
Literacy Information and Communication System
Professional Development Opportunities
Online Reading Manual for additional information
Applying Research in Reading Instruction for Adults: First Steps for Teachers PDF, written by Susan McShane and published in 2005 through the National Institutes for Literacy. It describes reading strategies using the most rigorous scientific reading research available for teaching reading. You may download the PDF document. Please note: The book is no longer available for order.
PDF of a Pro Literacy Module
The Original Starfish Story
There was a young man walking down a deserted beach just before dawn. In the distance he saw a frail old man. As he approached the old man, he saw him picking up stranded starfish and throwing them back into the sea. The young man gazed in wonder as the old man again and again threw the small starfish from the sand to the water. He asked, “Old man, why do you spend so much energy doing what seems to be a waste of time.” The old man explained that the stranded starfish would die if left in the morning sun. “But there must be thousands of beaches and millions of starfish!” exclaimed the young man. “How can you make a difference?” The old man looked at the small starfish in his hand and as he threw it to the safety of the sea, he said, “It makes a difference to this one!”