Selected Topics in Educational Leadership and Administration
GSE 570 (Winter '19 online)
GSE 570: Selected Topics in Educational Leadership & Administration.
This course has been designed to provide the student with the opportunity to examine recent developments in educational leadership and issues related to educational administration.
Instructor / Course Information:
Website: http://sbruzzese.org Twitter: @sam_bruzzese Course hashtag: #gse570
Course will take place on Wednesday afternoons (2:45 am to 5:45 pm online via ZOOM. with the exception of class 1 and possibly class 12 which will take place in Nichols rm. 312. The class will be recorded for students who may be occasionally absent.
Office hours: online (via ZOOM) and by phone. Details given in class 1.
In this course, students will co-create a seminar in leadership issues within their local context.:
- The geographic focus of readings, lectures, and discussion will be on the city of Montreal and greater Quebec. We may change focus depending on student interests, during the first class.
- However, students from other provinces may also engage in independent work on areas where they will be teaching or leading.
The class will work together to develop a deep knowledge and understanding of current leadership issues within the various education policy and leadership systems of this province.
As part of this work, students will undertake a semester-long individual project on a leadership topic of their choice ~ this will have to be done on an individual basis~ depending on school/board initiative and/or challenges in a particular school). This will be determined at our first class.
- Potential topics include: Linguistic issues and demographic trends; Indigenous education; education reform initiatives; New Pedagogies for Deep learning; IB philosophy & QEP; teacher preparation; leadership preparation; policy issues of equity and social justice; student learning; school culture and leadership, technology.
By the end of this course students who fully participate in the class will:
- Develop a critical understanding of issues in educational leadership in Quebec and potential approaches to addressing those issues
- Practice action-oriented inquiry/reflection methods that will uncover useful information for improving practice or policy
- Present findings
- Develop and teach professional level content
- TBD by students
Required Course Materials
Most weekly readings will be available to students on myCourses /Mighty Networks or through links included in the weekly schedule. There is only one reading required to purchase:
Indelible Leadership: Always Leave Them Learning by Michael Fullan (2017). Corwin Press
Here is info on the book:
Book is available on Amazon Canada for $26 (paperback) or $20 (kindle version):
If you own a Kobo, the cost is $22 for ebook: