- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Electrical Engineering: Systems , University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA. Advisors: Dr. Ryan Eustice and Dr. Silvio Savarese
- Master of Science (MS), Electrical Engineering: Systems , University of Michigan, Ann Arbor USA
- Bachelor of Technology (B-Tech), Electrical Engineering , Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee, India
- [July 2017 - Present] Technical Expert - Mobile Robotics, Research & Innovation Center, Ford Motor Company, Palo Alto, CA, USA.
- [June 2015 – June 2017] Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, INDIA. I worked as an Assistant Professor in the electrical engineering department of IIT Kanpur. I was part of two research groups (i) Control and Automation, (ii) Signal Processing and Communication in the electrical engineering department. I am also involved with the Center for Mechatronics and Computer Vision group of IIT Kanpur.
- [September 2013 - June 2015] Research Scientist, Automated Driving, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, USA. I worked on Ford’s autonomous vehicle project and have been actively involved in developing various components of the vehicle, specifically calibration and integration of perception sensors (e.g. lidar, camera, radars etc.) and generation of high quality textured 3D maps of the environment. I continued my collaboration with Ford even after joining IIT Kanpur.
- [August 2008 – August 2013] Graduate Student Research Assistant, Perceptual Robotics Lab (PeRL), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA. At University of Michigan I developed techniques for fusion of data obtained from various perception sensors (e.g. lidar, camera etc.) and used them for autonomous navigation of vehicles in GPS-denied environments. My advisors were Dr. Ryan Eustice and Dr. Silvio Savarese.
- [June 2006 - July 2008] Design Engineer, Kritikal Solutions Private Limited, Noida, India. At Kritikal I worked on several computer vision and image processing projects that involved object detection, object tracking, object classification, object segmentation, video streaming and networking at its core.
- [May 2005 - July 2005] Research Intern, Vision and Image Processing Lab, National University of Singapore. At NUS I developed a tool for visualization of 3D model of human jaw for orthodontic treatment. I was working under the guidance of Professor Ong Sim Heng.
Awards & Achievements
Awards & Achievements
- Invited panelist in the panel discussion on Safety and Practicality of Connected, Driverless and Autonomous Vehicles”, in the World Auto Forum on Information Technology (WAFIT) held on 22 April, 2017 in New Delhi.
- Letter of appreciation from the Director of IIT Kanpur for excellent feedback from the students for the course EE601 (taught in winter 2015).
- IIT Kanpur Cadence Gold Medal to Unnat Jain for the best thesis in 5-year integrated M-Tech program across all departments. Unnat worked under my guidance on his thesis titled Supervised Hashing for Robust Visual Place Recognition.
- Received a grant of USD $300,000 under the Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) scheme, a national initiative by government of India.
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) travel grant, October 2012
- Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) student scholarship, July 2012
- Best presentation award in Graduate Annual Conference (GAC), Michigan State University, March 2012
- IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) Grassroots travel fellowship, May 2011
- IIT Roorkee Summer Undergraduate Research Award 2004 and Merit Certificate
- Best student paper award for the paper Iris Recognition- An efficient Biometric tool for Personal Identification in Cognizance - 2005 at IIT Roorkee
- Among the top 1% students in the Indian National Physics Olympiad 2000-01
- Member of IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS)
- Member of Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
- Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO)
- Reviewer for IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)
- Reviewer for IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS)
- Reviewer for the journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Reviewer for IEEE Pervasive Computing
- Reviewer for ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information