Preservation of Historic Johnson Hall
A brief history
Johnson Hall State Historic Site was built in 1763 for Sir William Johnson, first Baronet of New York, his Mohawk wife, Molly Brant, and their eight children. Johnson Hall was the center of a 700-acre working farm that also served as the diplomatic headquarters for the British Crown’s Northern Department of Indian Affairs. The elegant Georgian-style mansion was a gathering place for the colonial elite, British officials and Native Americans. It was furnished and decorated to impress visitors with a display of wealth, style and hospitality on a royal scale.