CS 8803 LS Fall 2019
In this class, you will learn about, apply and advance state-of-the-art techniques for learning from visual data with limited human supervision. Much of the tremendous progress in AI and deep learning has focused on supervised learning settings which require people to annotate every piece of training data with a desired system output. This fundamentally limits a system as the vast majority of data available is unsupervised.
The focus of this course is on reading and critiquing published research papers, and on doing a semester-long research project.
We will read and analyze the strengths and weaknesses of research papers on a variety of important topics pertaining learning with limited supervision, and identify open research questions. See the schedule for a list of topics we will cover.
Through the course of the semester, you will also undertake a research project with a concrete objective, likely in teams of 3-4 students (depending on enrollment). While certainly not a requirement for the class, students should actively consider submitting a paper at the end of the course to a top-tier conference in Computer Vision, Machine learning, or AI.
Piazza: We'll be conducting all class-related discussions on Piazza. The quicker you begin asking questions on Piazza (rather than via emails), the quicker you'll benefit from the collective knowledge of your classmates and instructors. Please ask any questions on Piazza first before emailing the TAs or instructor.
Class page on Piazza: https://piazza.com/gatech/fall2019/cs8803ls. (Class access code provided first day)
Class meets: Tu, Th 3:00 - 4:15pm, Love (MRDC II) 184
- Sept 5: Note as the lecture room is available after class, both Judy and Meera will hold office hours there from now on.
- Sept 5: Project dates are available in the course schedule. If you have a conflict on you assigned date post to piazza to coordinate a swap with another team and email the instructor about the proposed swap.
- August 25: Review submissions are open! Please use the form here and follow the instructions here.
- August 21: Course enrollment has been increased to 50 and our new lecture room is Love (MRDC II) 184.
- August 20: Begin searching for project groups -- deadline to form group September 3, 2019 11:59pm ET.
- August 20: Sign-up to be a discussion lead here (requires GT login) -- due August 25, 2019 11:59pm ET.
- August 20: Welcome to CS 8803 - LS!