Eden UMC

EDEN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH was organized about the year 1845, in the private home of Eli Fox. A permanent building was erected in 1885 on a six acre parcel of land donated by Eli Fox. Sabbath School was organized at Eden the first Sunday in March 1886. The names of Atchley, Berry, Clendenning, Denton, Finchum, Fox, Gibson, Jones, Nave, Sartin, Thurman, and Trotter were common names at Eden Church.

Eden joined with the other local Methodist Churches to form a circuit. Eden, Cedar Bluff, Cummings Chapel, Edmonson Chapel (became Fox), Parrots Chapel, and Union Grove were the Fairgarden Circuit. Three of the original churches, Cedar Bluff, Eden and Fox now make up the Fairgarden Circuit of the Maryville District.

In 1942 when World War II began, the Tennessee Valley Authority built Douglas Dam. Douglas Lake took the homes of almost all the church members causing them to re-locate. This mass relocation almost caused the church to close. The few members who were not forced to leave remained faithful and kept the church open.

Sunday School rooms were added in 1979. The fellowship hall across the street was dedicated on November 16, 2014. The fellowship hall was built with the free help of a group known as Campers on Wheels.

We are located at 1040 Flat Creek Road and we welcome all to come join us for a worship 9:45 each Sunday.