Ewa Hongwanji Mission was organized in 1901 as an affiliate temple of the Honpa Hongwanji Mission of Hawaii to propagate the doctrine of the Jodo Shin denomination of Buddhism, and has continued to provide religious programs and activities to the Ewa and surrounding communities throughout its 120-year history.
Ewa Hongwanji is situated in Ewa Town on Renton Road, just down the street from the old Sugar Mill and the newer Ewa Mahiko Park (see map below).
We currently have monthly services on the fourth Sunday of each month at 11:00 a.m., observing current COVID-19 protocols.
Every third Saturday in June is our annual Bon Dance* when we honor our ancestors with an evening of joyful dancing.
Ewa Hongwanji kicks off the temple Bon Dances every year and is well attended with great food, fellowship, and dancing.
*Because of the Pandemic, we were unable to have our traditional Bon Dance the past two years.
We hope we'll be able to dance around the yagura next year!