Evolution Explorer Scout Unit
North West London - Barnet Borough Scout District
Explorers... step up to the challenge of expeditions, awards, activities, DofE and volunteering
We are currently running at capacity and have no spare places for new Explorers to join our Unit ... If you would like to be added to the waiting list to join please contact us .
What's happening? ........
County Mountain Training and Assessment weekends (16+ only)
See GLN website for details
7 – 9 Feb Winter Experience, Snowdonia
20 – 22 Mar T1 & T2 Training and Assessment, Snowdonia
15 – 17 May T1 & T2 Training and Assessment, Snowdonia
3 – 5 Jul Summer Experience, Peak District
25 – 27 Sep T1 & T2 Training and Assessment, Snowdonia
- Southern 50 - Urgent! Teams need to be arranged and Anne notified asap - see below for Southern 50 info.
- EuroJam 2020 - see event details below from GLN North about next years Jamboree in Poland.
- DofE: if you're an Explorer Scout in the Barnet Scout District and want to take part please go to the DofE page for latest information or contact us or you can text Anne.
Dates for your diary:
- 29 Nov – 1 Dec: Young Leader Training weekend, Frith Grange Campsite - Application forms from Anne or Meera
- 01 - 02 Feb: Southern 50 training, Chilterns
- 14 – 16 Feb: Southern 50, Chilterns - Team details to Anne
- 29 Mar: Mud Run, Danemead - Applications to Anne
- 5 – 10 Apr District Mountain Experience Camp, Snowdonia - Applications to Jonathan - more info on the Downloads page
Southern 50 Practice
Sat 1st - Sun 2nd February - Southern 50 practice weekend organised by EvoESU
Forms: The Activity Information Form is on the Downloads page. Please get the completed form + payment to a leader asap.
Cost: £50 (This includes payment for Southern 50 main event weekend as well)
- Saturday 1st - 09:00am Meet at Frith Grange Campsite
- 09:15 After a kit check check depart in minibus to the Chiltern Hills
- 11:00 Following some training begin the practice hike
- Early evening arrive at Braidwood campsite. Dinner, movie then bed (indoor accommodation)
- Sunday 2nd - breakfast, then return to Frith Grange campsite, arriving back at 11:00am
Kit List : This is on the Southern50 website - Please note you will need one small rucksack to carry required kit with you on the hike, including your (bring your own) packed lunch, plus one kit bag (that will be left at the campsite) for your overnight stay.
Teams: You need to be arranging your teams of 3 to 5 participants now - see below for S50 main event details.
14th - 16th February 2020 - The Southern 50 main event
Southern 50 is a massively popular event and places are limited and filling up fast! To avoid disappointment please let Anne know asap if you would like to take part, or Contact Us
If you want to participate you need to be organising your teams of 3 to 5 participants now! and decide what event you want to take part in:
- 50 Miles - The ultimate challenge! 50 miles in under 24 hours. Are you ready for British scouting's most prestigious hiking challenge? Training Training Training, that's the key to success. (minimum age 14 years old)
- 50 kilometers - The ever popular 50km event is a tough challenge. Hills, orienteering and a race against other teams. What more could you want on a winters weekend. (minimum age 14 years old)
- 30 kilometers - The 30km event is exclusively for Explorer Scouts and has been provided as a stepping stone from our sister event the Chiltern 20 to the 50km event. (for Explorers aged above 13.5 years old and under 18 years old )
Here's a great opportunity for all Explorers next year - see message below from Greater London North
24th July 2020 to 11th August 2020
European Jamboree Participant Application
The European Jamboree is happening in Gdansk, Poland summer 2020. This application is for Scouts and Explorers who will be aged 14 to 18 at the time of the event (born between 26th July 2002 and 31st December 2006).
There will be 11 days of activities at the Jamboree, with around 15,000 people from not only Europe but all over the world too. We're also planning to do a pre and post event so the inclusive dates are: 24th July 2020 to 11th August 2020.
We anticipate that the whole event will cost £900, though this will be more accurate once flights are booked.
Copyright © 2019 Greater London North Scouts, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Want to change how you receive these emails?
Our long term Spinney (opposite Frith Grange) restoration project continues.
We have already made a clearing for a camp-fire circle and started on a boundary fence.
We have plans for an assault course, mountain bike trail, mini camping area and activity areas for younger sections
Model of one of the assault course challenges
Rafting Competition @ Phoenix Outdoor Center, Welsh Harp Reservoir, Hendon.
Click on image above to view photo album of the rafting competition in a new window
Evo ESU @ Gilwell 24, 2017
Evo - Indian creativity!