What's happening? ........
Next Explorer Meeting..
Wednesday 19/12/18. 7:15pm - 10:30pm @ Frith Grange Campsite
- Xmas fun evening - the last meeting of the year!
Southern 50 Practice weekend
Saturday 2nd - Sunday 3rd February 2019
Practice hike in the Chilterns, in preparation for the Southern 50 (S50) event. You'll be in your S50 teams hiking from Chiltern Way Academy and finishing at PACCAR Scoutcamp site, Chalfont Heights, Buckinghamshire. Leaders will be on hand to assist with navigation if required and check you are on the route.
After the hike you'll have an evening meal and indoor sleepover at PACCAR then home after breakfast on Sunday
- You need to complete an activity information form for this practice weekend and another form for the S50 event weekend. i.e. 2 separate forms
- Forms can be downloaded from the Forms & Info page.
- £50 total - this pays for the two "S50" weekends, the practice weekend on 2-3 Feb and the S50 event weekend on 15-17 Feb. And Includes all transport, accommodation, food* for both weekends and S50 entry fees. *Note: On the practice weekend you provide your own packed lunch.
- 9:00am - Meet at Frith Grange camp site - wear hiking kit and bring, packed lunch and overnight bag - full kit list can be downloaded from the Forms & Info page
- 9:15am - After kit check depart Frith Grange in minibus and drive to the hike start point at the Chiltern Way Academy
- Late Morning - Start hike
- Early evening - finish hike at PACCAR scout camp site. evening meal, movie then overnight (indoor) sleepover
- Following breakfast back in the minibus to Frith Grange
- 11:00am Arrive back at Frith Grange camp-site
- kit list can be downloaded from the Forms & Info page
- Please check now, that you have the following:
- Decent waterproof jacket (with hood) and waterproof trousers
- Walking boots
- If you have any queries regarding kit please contact a leader well in advance of the S50 practice weekend
Southern 50 Event weekend
Chiltern Way Academy, London Road, Buckinghamshire HP22 6NL
The Southern 50 Challenge is a tough walk in The Chiltern Hills through the counties of Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, organised by Greater London North Scout County.
There are THREE routes to choose from, 50 miles and 50km open to all, and a 30km route for Explorer Scouts only.
The event is a test of good orienteering skills as well as physical ability and teamwork and unlike other well-known hikes the routes are different each year and so local knowledge will not be of help as the route will not be disclosed until the day of the event. All teams therefore start with exactly the same chance of winning a trophy.
Whatever the reason, you will enjoy our challenge and, we are sure, find the event very rewarding.
For Evo Explorers that have completed the Southern 50 registration form:
Activity Information Form: Please download, print and complete the Activity Information form from the Forms & Info page and hand to a leader asap.
Cost: If you have paid for Southern 50 practice weekend this also includes the Southern 50 Event, so you have nothing more to pay.
- The organisers check everyone's kit just before the hike, so it's really important you have everything, otherwise they won't let you take part!
- kit list can be downloaded from the Forms & Info page
- If you have any queries regarding kit please contact a leader well in advance of the S50 event weekend
- Friday 15/02/19 8pm - Meet at Frith Grange Campsite then minibus to the Chiltern Way Academy.
- Saturday 16/02/19 - Early breakfast, kit check then the challenge starts
- Sunday 17/02/19 - Breakfast followed by presentations then minibus back to Frith Grange Campsite arriving around 2pm
3km Mud Run competition at Danemead camp-site, the Explorers race starts at 12:00
For those of you who've done survival camp at Danemead know that the camp-site has a massive wooded area, with lots of muddy bits! so this should be a challenging and fun event.
This is the first time Danemead has run this event so it would be great for us to take part and even have some winners!
The event is a long way off however to show your interest please chat to the leaders at our next meeting
Our long term Spinney (opposite Frith Grange) restoration project continues.
We have already made a clearing for a camp-fire circle and started on a boundary fence.
We have plans for an assault course, mountain bike trail, mini camping area and activity areas for younger sections
Model of one of the assault course challenges
A big thank you for all Explorers who attended Remembrance Parade on Sunday 11th
Your support was very much appreciated
Evo ESU Renewal Of Promise Sunday April 2018
Thanks to all the Evo Explorers for attending the parade! And a welcome to Evo ESU to the Explorers who were invested at the start of the parade.
Monopoly Run 2018
Congratulations to Evo ESU team "Waitrose Essential Third Press Olive Oil"
who came 22nd out of a field of 149 teams in the 2018 Monopoly run.
A great effort especially as this was their fist time taking part in this event.
2018 Monopoly Run Results page
Self-defence and jujistu training that took place on Wednesday 21/02/18 @ Frith Grange
Big THANK YOU to Barry Harte (& Will Turner) from the Hakudakan Martial Arts Club.
This was a lively and interesting evening where Barry taught a wide range of useful self- defence techniques to us as a martial arts "taster" session.
Rafting Competition @ Phoenix Outdoor Center, Welsh Harp Reservoir, Hendon.
Click on image above to view photo album of the rafting competition in a new window
Evo ESU @ Gilwell 24, 2017
Evo - Indian creativity!