Embedded System Design
Internet of Things
A Short Term Course
May 30th to June 4th, 2018
Centre for Development of Technical Education (CDTE)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
In collaboration with oblu.io
Internet of Things (IoT) has gained prominence with the ever increasing connected devices, sensor systems and capability of compute resources. Thanks to the advancement of fabrication technology which has now made IoT devices and systems integral part of our daily life.
An IoT system typically comprises of smart sensor nodes to collect data either realtime or offline, data communication over a network and the back-end data management & processing to extract intelligent information. Typical use case of IoT are wearables, smart homes, smart vehicles, traffic prediction & control, weather monitoring & forecasting, indoor location based services, health monitoring of machines & structures, augmented/virtual reality etc. Consumers and industries are the beneficiaries of such applications.
This introductory course would focus on the “smart sensor node” of a typical IoT system. Connectivity and data processing would be covered in brief. It would cover engineering fundamentals, blended with good industrial practices, which lead to first-time success of an IoT system design and development. API development, cloud computing and data analysis would also be covered in brief. Lab sessions and case studies will supplement the classroom interactions. The following topics would be covered:
- Overview of IoT & Embedded Systems
- IoT sensor node design - Hardware and firmware architecture, Sensors, Calibration, Batteries, Power
- IoT Development Platform - Case studies and lab exercises
- Application interfaces & connectivity - H/W interfaces and APIs, API development using Python and Android, Networking
- Data analytics & Cloud Computation - Data management in IoT, Data analysis using popular libraries like Pandas and Scikit
After completing this course, participants will be in a position to understand various building blocks and working of state-of-the-art IoT systems. Participants would also gain enough insights to conceive and build IoT systems on their own.