Embedded System Design
Internet of Things
A Short Term Course
May 30th to June 3rd, 2018
Centre for Development of Technical Education (CDTE)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
In collaboration with oblu.io
About the course
Internet of Things (IoT) has gained prominence with the ever increasing connected devices, sensor systems and capability of compute resources. Thanks to the advancement of fabrication technology which has now made IoT devices and systems integral part of our daily life.
An IoT system typically comprises of smart sensor nodes to collect data either realtime or offline, data communication over a network and the back-end data management & processing to extract intelligent information. Typical use case of IoT are wearables, smart homes, smart vehicles, traffic prediction & control, weather monitoring & forecasting, indoor location based services, health monitoring of machines & structures, augmented/virtual reality etc. Consumers and industries are the beneficiaries of such applications.
Course objective and contents
This introductory course would focus on the “smart sensor node” of a typical IoT system. Connectivity and data processing would be covered in brief. It would cover engineering fundamentals, blended with good industrial practices, which lead to first-time success of an IoT system design and development. API development, cloud computing and data analysis would also be covered in brief. Lab sessions and case studies will supplement the classroom interactions. The following topics would be covered:
- Overview of IoT & Embedded Systems
- IoT sensor node design - Hardware and firmware architecture, Sensors, Calibration, Batteries, Power
- IoT Development Platform - Case studies and lab exercises
- Application interfaces & connectivity - H/W interfaces and APIs, API development using Python and Android, Networking
- Data analytics & Cloud Computation - Data management in IoT, Data analysis using popular libraries like Pandas and Scikit
After completing this course, participants will be in a position to understand various building blocks and working of state-of-the-art IoT systems. Participants would also gain enough insights to conceive and build IoT systems on their own.
Who should attend this course
You should attend if:
- You are a faculty member who wants to overhaul an existing course on embedded system or design a new course covering emerging trends in IoT, wearable gadgets etc.
- You are a practicing Computer or IT or Electronics or Instrumentation or Communication or Electrical or Mechanical or Civil or Biomedical engineer or a medical practitioner or a research scientist who deals with sensor based smart gadgets in day to day life. And are interested in gaining holistic knowledge of such state-of-the-art IoT systems, so that you can get best results from such systems.
- You are an academic researcher - faculty or student - who is focusing on certain aspects of a smart IoT system but lacks knowledge on other aspects which could be crucial for your research as well. You will get overview of building blocks of such IoT systems.
- You hear a lot about IoT, Wearables, Sensors, Embedded systems, Cloud, Big Data etc and curious to know how such things put together make a complete smart system.
Level of complexity
The purpose of this course is to give overview of state-of-the-art IoT systems. This includes gaining understanding of building blocks, their role in the overall system, different technologies used, interfaces etc. Therefore complexity of the content would be of beginner level.
You will get the best out of this course if you have:
- Basic knowledge of any programming language (C, C++ or Python preferable)
- Basic knowledge of digital electronics & microprocessors
- Engineering aptitude and curiosity
- Willingness to learn