WELCOME TO DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
In the post-colonial world, English has emerged globally as the most-oft used language for communication. In 21st century India, most of official works are conducted in English. Steps are constantly being undertaken by different governments to promote the learning of English among Indian school-students, while a significant section of under-graduation-level and post-graduation-level students opt for majoring in English. With numerous job offerings and lucrative career prospects, English has become one of the more important subjects of Humanities in context of the Indian Human Resource Developmental scale. In the following pages, an attempt has been made to very briefly provide a functional and administrative overview of the Post- and Undergraduate Department of English, Malda College. With a significant numbers of its alumni successfully completing the post-graduation-level studies and finding employment – in schools, colleges, Business Process Outsourcing centres, and so on, the Department of English, Malda College – one of the oldest departments of the college – is a centre which receives thousands of admittance-application each year. However, quality, and not quantity, has remained the steady focus of the department since its inception.
- Year of Establishment: 1944
- CONTACT US
STUDYING LITERATURE BROADENS OUR HORIZON AND HELP US TO KNOW OUR SURROUNDING IN A BETTER MANNER. STUDYING ENGLISH LANGUAGE BRINGS US CLOSE TO WORLD LITERATURE. BESIDES INTRODUCING US TO GLOBAL CULTURE , IT HELPS US TO KNOW OUR OWN ROOTS AND PREPARE US FOR THE CONTEMPORARY SOCIETY THROUGH IMPARTING KNOWLEDGE SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL.
BESIDES PROVIDING PLEASURE IN LEISURE, READING LITERATURE CAN ATTRIBUTE TO THE FOLLOWING OUTCOMES ESPECIALLY AFTER THE COMPLETION OF THE PROGRAMME :
- To enhance their skill of Reading , Writing ,comprehending and speaking the language confidently.
- To communicate with others in professional and social sphere.
- To think critically about his social and moral duties.
- To develop the aesthetic sense and moral upliftment of the mind of the students.
- To analyse various aspects of social contemporary issues.
- To develop creative and critical mind in leisure time .
- To develop creativity in writing and perorming arts.
- To develop a critical approach for research in fields of language, literature, social science and performing arts.
- To develop a sustainable and discrimination free society.
- To utilize their skill in various sectors like pubishing , adverising , content writing, administrative service, journalism and many more.
- To develop knowledge about the cultural history of the language and contemporary social issues.