East Midlands pro-European Network
What is this website?
This site is one of a set of sites intended to cover the whole of the UK (index page) to help you find and work with the relevant pro-Europe groups in your area. So it is part of UKPEN.eu. You can navigate to your area using the drop-down menus at the top right (PC) or top left (mobile devices). Please send any comments or requests for editing permissions to emproeurnet at gmail.com
What is it for?
The idea behind this work is that we need to see who we are, where we are and who our neighbours are. This is essential to plug the gaps in our network and to be ready for any new chance to vote. The constituency pages (there's an example of a relatively well filled out constituency page here, Aberconwy) are supposed to help everyone get to grips with
- the important task of corresponding with MPs to make our wishes and feelings known. You can get help doing this either through the national campaigns Represent Us, and Best for Britain, or by plugging in to their targeted operations in particular constituencies, and throughout constituencies in this part of the UK.
- developing maps right down to ward level to help activists cover their streets with leaflets and door to door conversations, and to keep a log of where they have been and where they have not been, whichever organisation or group they are working for. These resources can be held off this site, but the more linked up they are here, the more they can be shared across different groups working in the same area.
How do I use it?
To find your constituency use this tool: https://mapit.mysociety.org/. An index to all constituencies in the East Midlands Region is here. In this site individual constituency pages are grouped under three areas: Derby and Notts, Leicester and Lincs, and Northamptonshire (see below). Join your constituency group and start work for Europe! Join your national or area group to take part in events and discussions.
To get alerts on your MP's activity in Westminster use "They work for you" https://www.theyworkforyou.com/alert/
In East Midlands there are 5 counties, 4 unitary authority areas, and 46 Westminster constituencies (Index).
Best for Britain make East Midlands a single region.
See BfB regional map here
The main national or area groups in the East Midlands Region are as follows, for more local groups follow the links to sub-pages.
- European Movement East Midlands : (website under construction)
- Best for Britain - https://www.facebook.com/groups/275500116271953/ (75 members August 2018) (all regional BfB Facebook groups see here)
**UKPEN-linked groups are shown in bold**
22 constituencies in Derby and Notts, (Represent Us area 3):
- European Movement Derbyshire: https://www.facebook.com/europeanmovementderbyshire/ (183 likes)
- Open Britain Buxton & the High Peak: http://www.open-britain.co.uk/buxton , https://www.facebook.com/openbritainbuxtonandhighpeak/ (71 followers)
- Buxton for Europe: https://www.facebook.com/groups/buxtonforeurope/ (78)
- Hope for Europe http://hopeforeurope.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/hopeforeurope/
- Another Europe is possible Notts: https://www.facebook.com/AEIPNotts/
- European Movement Nottinghamshire: https://www.facebook.com/Nottingham-European-Movement-764559617085087/ (56 follow)
- People's Vote - Nottingham and Nottinghamshire: https://www.facebook.com/NottPeoplesVote/ ; Twitter @NottPeoplesVote https://twitter.com/NottPeoplesVote; https://nottinghampeoplesvote.wordpress.com/
17 constituencies in Leicester and Lincs, Represent Us Area 15:
- European Movement Leicestershire https://www.emleics.co.uk/ ; https://www.facebook.com/LeicestershireEM/ ; https://www.facebook.com/groups/leicseuromove/ ; Twitter @LeicsEm https://twitter.com/LeicsEm
- European Movement Lincolnshire https://www.euromovelincs.org.uk/ https://www.facebook.com/LincolnshireEuropeanMovement/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/Euromovelincs/ ; Twitter @EuromoveLincs https://twitter.com/EuromoveLincs
- Lincoln for a Peoples Vote https://www.facebook.com/LincolnForAPeoplesVote/
- Grantham for a People’s Vote https://www.facebook.com/GranthamforAPeoplesVote/
- Market Rasen For A People's Vote https://www.facebook.com/groups/MarketRasenForAPeoplesVote/
- Caistor for A People's Vote https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaistorForAPeoplesVote/
- Stamford Rainbow Coalition for Europe: https://www.facebook.com/StamfordForEurope/ ; https://www.facebook.com/groups/StamfordforEuropeGroup/ ; Twitter @StamfordEurope https://twitter.com/StamfordEurope
7 constituencies in Northamptonshire that are part of Represent Us area 1:
- European Movement Northamptonshire: https://www.facebook.com/European-Movement-Northampton-1907128346189226
- East Northants for the EU: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1759582360969949/
- Oundle Europeans: https://www.facebook.com/groups/140738106441886/
Reminder: here's the 2016 referendum result for East Midlands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_Kingdom_EU_referendum_2016_area_results_(East_Midlands).svg Yes, blue is leave! But this is changing, see Dr Philip Lee's plotting of Yougov results from early December 2018: