A b o u t M e :
Dorian has lived and loved his musical experiences from a very early age. Starting on piano, he soon moved to trumpet. With many strong influencing teachers along his path, he has developed into the trumpet performer and educator of music that he aspired to.
After completion of highschool, Dorian received his associates degree from Onondaga Community College and earned two BM degree's from Rowan University in Music Education and in K-6 education.
Keeping busy, Dorian has just finished his sixth Carnival Cruise contract working as a Music Director and a lead/solo trumpet performer. During the cruises, he has worked with numerous Vegas-style production shows, dance bands, blues bands, jazz sets and numerous "fly-on" acts.
Dorian has now completed his masters degree in Trumpet Performance at Miami University of Ohio and has moved to the Metro-West Boston area to teach while maintaining his active trumpet performance lifestyle.
R e s u m e :
Massachusetts Music Certification: K-12 Vocal/Instrumental/General
Master of Music (Music Performance) – Miami University – Oxford, OH
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) – Rowan University – Glassboro, NJ
Bachelor of Arts (K-6 Education) – Rowan University – Glassboro, NJ
A.A.S. in Music – SUNY Onondaga Community College – Syracuse, NY
Instrumental Music Teacher – Acton-Boxborough Schools - Acton, MA
- 5th-6th grade lesson and band teacher
- Also running the schools elementary and middle school jazz band, a highschool jazz sextet and and a highschool trumpet ensemble.
Instrumental Music Teacher – McAuliffe Charter School - Framingham, MA
- 6th-8th grade Band teacher.
- I had 4 concerts with this group this year starting as a new program.
Instrumental Music Teacher – Making Music Matters via Boston Public Schools
- Trumpet, clarinet and flute instructor for 3rd-5th grade classes
- I had 11 concerts this year with this group including special concerts for pre-school’s children
Instrumental Music Teacher – Westford Elementary Schools
- Elementary Band teacher in Westford’s three elementary schools.
- Teach band before school, mixed group lessons during the school day and taught a jazz repertoire class and a trumpet ensemble at the Westford Academy.
- I had 15 concerts this year along with playing for special events in and and out-of-school.
Private Instrumental Music Teacher – Metro-West Boston Area
- One-on-one and group instrumental lessons for piano, trumpet, clarinet, saxophone, trombone and general music.
- Private lessons include: music listening and analyzation, music theory, student transcriptions, reflecting on student recordings, jazz improvisation, Smart Music, digital music composition, multi-track recording with Garageband, studio recitals, and local ensemble performances.
- Only music postions: active in all districts at the same time and still being requested
- School Districts: Acton-Boxborough, Ayer-Shirley, Dracut, Natick, Carlisle, Nashoba Valley and Maynard.
- Duties include: K-12 General Music, K-12 Instrumental Band, K-12 Choir
- Long-Term Substitute Positions:
- 5-8 Instrumental Band - Carlisle Elementary/Middle School - Carlisle Public Schools
- K-6 General Music - Gates Elementary School - Acton-Boxborough Public Schools
Guest Teacher in Bangalore/Chennai, India and Denpasar, Bali
- Taught K-12 students trumpet and western music theory/notation that culminated with a group performance.
- Worked with orphanages to expose children of India to western music and instruments.
- Exposure to singing in the carnatic style and playing the Nagaswaram with daily lessons.
- Exposure to performing Gamelan music and instruments.
Fall 2009–Spring 2011:
Graduate Assistant – Miami University – Oxford OH
- Graduate Assistant to the jazz, recording, and brass departments.
- Duties included: Directed jazz ensembles, jazz department librarian, logistics for out-of-state performances, assistant for undergraduate jazz history class, supervisor for recital recording studio, directed trumpet ensembles and master classes, arranged music for trumpet ensembles, one-on-one lessons for trumpet studio students, led sectionals for Wind Ensemble and Symphony Orchestra.
Trumpet Performer and Musical Director on Carnival Cruise Lines (2007-2012)
- Worked with numerous Vegas-style production shows, dance bands, blues bands, jazz sets and numerous "fly-on" acts.
- Managed three bands, four solo acts, composed/arranged/rehearsed/conducted the 10-piece show band, brought on fly-on acts, all musical equipment repairs, everything needed for musical entertainment on the cruise ship.
- Blue Wisp Jazz Band, Boston Big Band, Compaq Big Band, Dick Donovan Big Band, Easy Money Jazz band, Hal Mcintyre Band, Indian Hill Big Band, Jack Welch Big Band, Ken Mamayek Band, Mood Swings Orchestra, New Legacy Swing Band, NY Express Jazz Band, Russel Weissman Jazz Band, Soft Touch Big Band, Stage Music Jazz Ensemble, Suburbans Aires, The Pocket Big Band, Tom Nutile Big Band, Westwood Swing Band.
- Annie, Brigadoon, Cabaret, Chicago, Fiddler on the Roof, Grand Night of Singing, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Meet Me in St. Louis, My Fair Lady, Once Upon a Mattress, Peter Pan, Shrek: The Musical, Sound of Music, The King and I, The Wiz.
- Acton Jazz Cafe, Boston Impromptu, Hudson Legionaries Jazz, Jazz Trio with Thaddeus Bell and Brian Sampson, Monk Rowe, JQ Trio, Rick Montalbano, Ubud Jazz Cafe Band, Yas and Friends.
- Middletown Symphony Orchestra (Ohio), Waltham Symphony Orchestra (Massachusetts).
- American All-star Band, Hipshots, Joey Scott & The Connection, Kickin-it!, Rico Moon Band, Soul Injection.
Wind Ensembles and Brass Bands
- Atlantic Brass Band, Dodgeville Band, Floyd Concert Band, La Banda Rosa Italian Band, Nashoba Valley Concert Band, New England Brass Band, New Hartford Citizens Band, Russel Weissman Parade Ensemble, Syracuse Brass Ensemble, Utica College Wind Ensemble, Walter Ford Carter Brass Quintet.
Marching Ensembles - Performance, Teacher, Music and Drill Writing
- Rockland HS Marching band drill writer and instructor
- Syracuse Brigadiers Drum and Bugle Corps - Syracuse, New York
- Kingston Grenadiers Drum and Bugle Corps - Kingston, Ontario
- New Hartford Marching Spartans - New Hartford, New York
- The Vagabonds Drum and Bugle Corps - Mullica Hill, NJ
- Belmont-Watertown United Methodist Church, Ohio Covenant First Presbyterian Church, Tremont Temple Baptist Church, Ohio Seven Mile Baptist Church, New York St. John the Evangelist church, Ohio St. Peter in Chains Cathedral, Wellesley Congregational Church.
- Miami University - Wind Ensemble, Brass Choir, Jazz Band, Faculty Brass Quintet, Symphony Orchestra. Collaborated with Brad Goode, Benny Golson, Wynton Marsalis, Adam Rapa, and the Canadian Brass
- Rowan University - Concert Band, Jazz Band, Trumpet Ensembles, Brass Choir
- SUNY Potsdam Crane School of Music - Concert Band, Jazz Lab Band, Brass quintet
- SUNY Onondaga Community College - Concert Band, Jazz Band, Brass quintet
T e s t i m o n i a l s :
George Arsenault; Music Director, Acton-Boxborough School District
“I have seen Dorian work in-school in the classroom and outside of schools as a studio teacher. His private trumpet students are some of the without a doubt the finest trumpet players I have seen in my career.. In a jazz jam I recently attended, I was truly inspired when student after student of Dorian’s took the stage, stood next to Dorian and with their mentor at their side they played with confidence and style. I am genuinely amazed at Dorian’s ability to draw the very best from his students and know that he will continue to blend that one-on-one methodology with his classroom and ensemble duties.”
Bob Weston; President of the Soft Touch Dance Band
“Dorian is the lead trumpeter in our band, "The Soft Touch Dance Band" In the Boston, Ma. area. His musical ability has been the keystone of the band and has lead us from a good dance band to a terrific 21 piece dance band. He also has great charisma which makes us as a group excell in musical expression. It is great to have him with us.”
James Olcott: Professor of Music (Trumpet), Miami University
“Had him as a graduate student for two years at Miami University (Ohio). An excellent trumpet player, conversant in all the styles. Self-starter, extremely reliable, clear goals, inquisitive, supportive, and enthusiastic. A team player who works and gets along very well with his colleagues. My highest recommendation.”
Mark Hickey; Retired Music Director, Acton-Boxborough School District
“I witnessed Dorian work with our high school jazz band trumpet section. We were doing a project with a professional ensemble that Dorian plays in. Dorian was a terrific coach for the section and really brought them a long way as they prepared for the performance.It was a great experience for the kids to have an opportunity to play in this professional setting. I have found Dorian to be dependable, knowledgeable, personable and well versed in managing a music classroom. He works hard to provide an excellent experience for his students and I believe he will be an outstanding music teacher for any school fortunate enough to have him working for them. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.”
John Piazza: Music Director with Carnival Cruise Lines and now Music Director of Rockland Public Schools
"Simply put, Dorian is a sponge. He has absorbed everything I have given him and over the years has developed into a fine trumpet player. Dorian has a wonderful sound and fine facility. He understands style and can hold his own in both traditional classical and commercial styles of trumpet playing."
Todd Hamlin: Elementary String teacher, Westford Public Schools MA
“Dorian’s creativity and willingness to adapt his instruction to the needs of his students is one of his strengths. If you enter his classroom, you will likely see a great deal of differentiation– whether it is remediation through one-on-one assistance, or advancing more skilled students by providing developmentally appropriate exercises and supplements.”
Joe Karwacki: Bandleader, Stage Music Big Band
“During my time with Dorian, he was highly qualified, pleasant, responsible, and respectful on all levels. As a player, he exhibited the highest quality of musicianship and ability. As a colleague, everyone enjoyed and looked forward to his presence. As a bandleader, I could always rely on his dependability, promptness and preparedness. His demeanor at all events (both formal and informal) was always appropriate and thoughtful. I recommend Dorian without any reservation whatsoever.”
Bill Albin: Professor of Music Emeritus at Miami University
"Dorian attended my 2010 workshop on the island of Bali. He is a versatile musician with skills in the areas of orchestral performance, jazz ensemble/combo, jazz improvisation, chamber music, and world music."
Philip Bishop: Organist and Music Director at The Covenant-First Presbyterian Church
“Dorian has provided music support at my church several times. He is a very proficient musician, has good leadership skills and works well with diverse groups of people.”
Barbara Meglis: Local Acton, MA mother of a trumpet student
“Dorian not only taught my son how to play the trumpet but also inspired him to learn all the instruments and appreciate both classical and jazz music. Dorian wrote ensemble music for my son and his friends to play together and arranged for the trio to play at the Acton Jazz Cafe on several occasions. Dorian is an accomplished musician, an excellent teacher and mentor, and a very pleasant person as well. We welcome him to our community!”
Ricardo Averbach: Director of Orchestral Studies, Miami University
“Dorian is an outstanding musician, educator and performer. Besides being very musical and technically accomplished, he is very mature and displays uncommon work ethics. I have great respect for his work.”
Jono Gasparro: Special Projects Manager, Wynton Marsalis Enterprises, Inc.
“I visited campus several times for large jazz concerts. Once with Benny Golson and then again with Wynton Marsalis. Dorian was by far the most inspired student. His respect and passion for music was obvious. He was a pleasure to have around and HE CAN PLAY TOO!!”
Tom Desmond: Music Director with Carnival Cruise Lines, NYC
"I believe Dorian is an excellent trumpet player and a great person to work with. He's that guy who is first on the bandstand and last to leave...always in the practice room, always helping other other musicians grow, always great to see on a daily basis."
Jessy Rose: Music Director with Carnival Cruise Lines, MA
"Mr. Mohar has great talent for teaching and helping people to learn new skills and has shown great patience in this area. He thrives on being able to help people improve their current level of performing and always takes the time to spend with various team members in a multitude of productive projects. I have always been amazed and impressed at this quality."
Stuart Dunn: Cruise Director with Carnival Cruise Lines
"Within the onboard Senior Management it is recommended to the Carnival Cruise Lines Miami head office that he cover the Music Director position again whenever possible. I would be happy to have Dorian as part of my team again."