What is Digital Storytelling?
“Writing is the primary tool used to plan and create a digital story. The saying “if it ain’t on the page then it ain’t on the stage” is just as true for digital storytelling as it is for theater and movies.”
— Jason Ohler, digital storytelling expert
For students studying ESL or English as a Second Language, digital stories are a fantastic way to share meaningful stories while practicing the four skills: speaking, reading and writing and listening. Students can practice pronunciation, verb tenses, paragraph writing and listening in a fun, engaging and creative way!
What is digital storytelling?
Digital storytelling is the modern expression of the ancient art of storytelling. Throughout history, storytelling has been used to share knowledge, wisdom, and values. Stories have taken many different forms. Stories have been adapted to each successive medium that has emerged, from the circle of the campfire to the silver screen, and now the computer screen. (Digital Storytelling Association, 2011, para. 1)
What are some of the benefits of digital storytelling?
- Here are 6 of them:
- Leadership and digital storytelling go hand in hand
- Digital storytelling promotes competency with technology
- The process mirrors that of traditional writing
- Critical thinking and making decisions drives digital storytelling
- Digital storytelling promotes collaboration and fosters sharing
- Digital storytelling is a creative means of assessment.
The 8 Steps of the Digital Storytelling Process
The power of the story!
ELEMENTS OF THE STORYTELLING PROCESS
- Oral Stories and the Story Circle – Sharing a Personal Narrative – Hearing the Story
- Indigenous Storytelling – Sharing the Traditions
- The Written Narrative – Writing the Story; Developing the Script; Developing the Storyboard
Seeing the Story Representation – Selecting the images/artefacts which are part of, or inspire the story; Developing the Storyboard
Hearing the Story – Recording the Voice Over; Selecting the Music
Seeing the Story – Scanning the Images
Assembling the Story – the Editing Process; Ordering the Images
Sharing the Story