I am a philosopher specializing in philosophy of science and epistemology. I am currently Postdoctoral Research Fellow at University College Dublin's School of Philosophy, as part of the project When Experts Disagree. I recently completed a Ph.D. in philosophy at UNC Chapel Hill under the supervision of Marc Lange, Matt Kotzen, and John T. Roberts. Before Chapel Hill, I earned a B.A. in philosophy (while also studying some math and logic) at the University of Iceland and the University of Gothenburg.
- Presentation accepted at the BSPS Annual Meeting [Apr 24, 2017]
- My paper "Beyond Explanation: Understanding as Mental Modeling" has been accepted for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the British Society for Philosophy of Science, in Edinburgh on July 13-14.
- Paper accepted at Analysis [Mar 16, 2017]
- My paper "Abductively Robust Inference" has been accepted for publication at Analysis. Penultimate draft available here.
- Paper accepted at Synthese [Mar 3, 2017]
- My paper "Deductive Cogency, Understanding, and Acceptance" has been accepted for publication at Synthese. Penultimate draft available here.
- Presentation accepted at the ECAP9 [Feb 15, 2017]
- I will give a paper called "Beyond Explanation: Understanding as Mental Modeling" at the 9th European Congress for Analytic Philosophy, in Munich (Germany) on August 21-26.
- Paper accepted at the Australasian Journal of Philosophy [Feb 14, 2017]
- My paper "When Expert Disagreement Supports the Consensus" has now been accepted at the Australasian Journal of Philosophy. Preprint available here.
- New publication [Jan 4, 2017]
- My Paper "Reactionary Responses to the Bad Lot Objection" was just accepted at Studies in History and Philosophy of Science.
- [Update, Feb 8:] The paper has now been published here.
- New year, new website [Jan 3, 2017]
- This site replaces my older homepage at https://sites.google.com/site/fdellsen.
- April 28-30th, 2017:
- Risk & The Culture of Science, Cambridge University
- I will participate in a roundtable discussion on the culture of science.
- July 2nd-3rd, 2017:
- Workshop on Disagreement, University College Dublin.
- Title TBD.
- August 21st-26th, 2017:
- 9th European Congress for Analytic Philosophy, Munich (Germany).
- Title: "Beyond Explanation: Understanding as Mental Modeling"