I am a philosopher specializing in philosophy of science, epistemology, philosophy of logic, and metaethics. I recently started as associate professor of philosophy at the University of Iceland. Previously, I was associate professor at Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (Høgskolen i Innlandet) and Postdoctoral Research Fellow at University College Dublin's School of Philosophy, as part of the project When Experts Disagree.
I completed my Ph.D. in philosophy at UNC Chapel Hill under the supervision of Marc Lange, Matt Kotzen, and John T. Roberts. Before Chapel Hill, I earned a B.A. in philosophy (while also studying some math and logic) at the University of Iceland and the University of Gothenburg.
- Moving to the University of Iceland [Nov 1, 2018]
- Interviews in Norwegian media [Sep 10, 2018]
- Co-authored paper on disagreement in science published at Environmental Communications [Aug 16th, 2018]
- James Beebe, Maria Baghramian, Luke Drury and I have published a paper reporting on an experimental study into the nature, causes and appropriate responses to disagreement in science. Paper available here.
- Paper on scientific realism and theoretical conservatism accepted at SHPS [Aug 14th, 2018]
- My paper, "Should Scientific Realists Embrace Theoretical Conservatism?" is now forthcoming in a special issue of Studies in History and Philosophy of Science about scientific novelty. Preprint available here.
- Paper on expert autonomy accepted at PPR [Aug 6th, 2018]
- My paper, "The Epistemic Value of Expert Autonomy" is now forthcoming in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. Preprint available here.
- Review of Best Explanations published at NDPR [Jul 23rd, 2018]
- Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews just published my review of Kevin McCain and Ted Poston's collection of essays on Inference to the Best Explanation.
- Paper on understanding and explanation accepted at BJPS [Jun 21st, 2018]
- My paper "Beyond Explanation: Understanding as Dependency Modeling" is now forthcoming in The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science. Preprint available here.
- Awarded the Lauener Prize for Up-and-Coming Philosophers [Jun 7th, 2018]
- I am honored to receive the Lauener Prize for Up-and-Coming Philosophers in 2018. Bas van Fraassen will be receiving the associated prize for Outstanding Oeuvre in Analytic Philosophy, and a number of other distinguished philosophers will join us for a symposium on his work in September: Nancy Cartwright, Matthias Egg, Steven French, Michael Friedman, Milena Ivanova, and Michela Massimi.
- Paper accepted at Philosophy Compass [May 17th, 2018]
- My survey paper "Scientific Progress: Four Accounts" is now forthcoming at Philosophy Compass. Preprint available here.
- Open Call for Papers: Scientific Disagreement (Special Issue of Synthese) [May 15th, 2018]
- The call for papers for the special issue of Synthese I am editing with Maria Baghramian is now available here.
- Discussion note on understanding and scientific progress forthcoming at JGPS [May 7th, 2018]
- Guest editing special issue of Synthese on Disagreement in Science [Feb 8th, 2018]
- Maria Baghramian and I will be guest editors for a special issue of Synthese on "Disagreement in Science". We have a great group of contributors and will send out an open call for papers relatively soon.
- Review of Explaining Understanding at Metascience [Jan 27th, 2018]
- Co-authored paper (with N. Sharadin) accepted at Philosophical Studies [Jan 8th, 2018]
- Nate Sharadin and I just had another collaborative paper, "Promotion as Contrastive Increase in Expected Fit", accepted at Philosophical Studies. Penultimate draft available here.