Common BMW Repairs
20+ year customer, very honest shop"
"Always fix it right the first time"
"Would not take my car anywhere else"
The 7 most common BMW problems
- Routine Maintenance Due - This is very important and can assure your good reliability and often prevent bigger repairs down the road.
- Malfunction Indicator Lights (MIL), Check Engine Light - May indicate minor or serious problems. Have this checked out by a pro with the proper BMW test equipment.
- Electronic problems. Some people report malfunctions related to electronic systems like those regulating the windshield wipers.
- Window regulators. This is a common BMW problem with the E46 model. The regulator clips might be broken and need to be replaced. This causes slow-moving or immobile windows.
- Door locks. At times, there have been issues with doors not unlocking remotely.
- Engine management. Sometimes ignition modules, the clutch, and injectors need to be replaced.
- Cracked alloy. This generally happens with 19-inch run flats and can slowly cause a tire puncture. The cost of a new rim will astound you.
The 6 most important maintenance issues to watch
- Get regular preventive maintenance done, using the factory schedule.
- Monitor your garage floor for tell tale spots indicating fluid leaks. If not addressed promptly they can lead to major problems.
- If the car overheats or if you see leaks of coolant when you park the car, don’t hesitate. Take it in immediately to get it checked and repaired. Otherwise, you run the risk of your engine overheating and needing major repair or replacement.
- Check coolant levels regularly and top them up as needed.
- Keep tires inflated properly, especially for all-wheel drive BMWs. Check to see if the pressure recommendations differ for front tires and rear tires. You can find this information on the driver-side door jamb. If the pressure isn’t kept at the right levels, the car will develop problems like jolting on acceleration or at stops.
- Wipe up spills. Electronic issues can develop from coffee or water spilled on carpets.
Speak directly to the technician working on your car, never a service writer on commission.
Fast accurate repairs since 1979.
Call now for your free diagnostic inspection (949) 347-5300
BMW Service World
26881 Vista Terrace, Suite D
Lake Forest CA 92630