Ballygowan is a village in County Down, Northern Ireland. The town of Comber is a short distance to the north-east, the town of Saintfield to the south, and the city of Belfast further to the north-west. It had a population of 3,138 people in the 2021 Census. Ballygowan has an active and friendly community with a rich and interesting history.
The townland of Ballygowan was originally sparsely inhabited by Irish Gaels but had a small English population after the plantation of Ulster. In the late 18th century the town consisted of a bridge over the River Blackwater where The Brae terminates at Victoria's Square, a dozen or so small houses and an inn. The surrounding area was populated by a great number of small tenant farmers and weavers. The name 'Ballygowan' likely originates either from Baile Mhic Gabhann meaning 'the townland of McGowan'. The surname McGowan is the anglicised version of 'son of the smith'.
Ballygowan used to have a railway station until it was closed in 1950 by the Ulster Transport Authority along with most of the rail of County Down. The remains of Rev. Ian Paisley, a former leader of the DUP are buried in the Ballygowan Free Presbyterian Church graveyard just north of the village. Wikipedia
The Olivet Home/Church Halls is the most recognisable building of Ballygowan. It was built in 1884-6 by Alexander Orr Reid in memory of his son following a shooting incident and was originally meant to be a residential secondary school. After Mr. Reid's death in 1886 he bequeathed the Olivet Home to David Henderson who later turned it into an orphanage. Due to a complaint in 1904 an NSPCC inspector arrived at the home and saw the abhorrent condition that the children were subject to. Mr. Henderson and the then matron, Mary Thompson were summoned to court but on the morning of the hearing Mr. Henderson was found to have committed suicide by gassing himself. Following a period of closure the home was bought by the Presbyterian Church as church halls and school for Ballygowan. The inscription on the building is ‘The Time is Short’ thought to be a reference to the death of one of the construction workers, who fell to his death from the roof. A white stone on the top of the tower marks the event. The church halls are used frequently for events such as; school plays, tractor runs and fund raising events. Olivet Home