News and Announcements
Thank you to everyone who ordered from the Ballard Holiday Pop-up Shop! Orders will be delivered by December 17 (if shipping was selected) or to the elementary schools on December 17 (if that option was selected). Look for more details coming soon!
to everyone who attended Family Bingo Night! We had an outstanding turn-out (over 200 people) and a great time! Thank you for your attendance and for your free-will donations to the PTO. We are so grateful for you!
We'd also like to say a big THANK YOU to the businesses and organizations who donated prizes for our Bingo Night Raffle - 11 happy kids went home with awesome raffle baskets, plus every kid left with a free book.
Thank you for your continued support of the PTO:
- Hokel Real Estate Team, Century 21, Ankeny - Two Family Movie Night Baskets
- Kids Create, Polk City- Art Basket with art class gift certificate
- Kris Gardner, Re/Max Concepts, Ankeny - Game Night Basket
- Slater Public Library - Four Reading Baskets (packed with books) plus a free book for every child who attended
- Town & Country Market, Slater - Cooking Basket and Baking Basket
- Two Sisters Paint Palette, Slater - Art Basket with art class gift certificate
- 3: Reading Challenge Forms due to teachers
- 10: PTO Meeting, 6:30-7:30, High School Conference Room
- TBD: Star Table for Thanksgiving Reading Challenge Star Readers
- 21-Jan 5: Winter Break Reading Challenge
- 8: Reading Challenge Forms due to teachers
- 8: PTO Meeting, 6:30-7:30, High School Conference Room
- TBD: PTO Parent Mixer
- TBD: Star Table for Winter Break Reading Challenge
- 3: Meatball Monday - Ballard West Teacher Dinner, Back 9 Restaurant
- 11: PTO Meeting, 6:30-7:30, High School Conference Room
Click here to see our full calendar.
The Ballard Elementary PTO is a group of parents, legal guardians, teachers and staff that provides assistance to teachers in the classroom, holds fundraisers for supplemental educational materials and experiences, and promotes school and family social interaction.
We provide for a variety of needs and fun for both Ballard West and Ballard East Elementary Schools including: Brain Pop (educational computer program), conference meals for teachers, Movie Nights, Dollars for Scholars scholarships, indoor and outdoor recess supplies, Reading Challenges, Literacy Luau, funding for Spring Opera or Play, teacher gifts and teacher appreciation week.
Over the past two years, our biggest accomplishment has been raising over $38,000 through our Ninja Warrior challenge for the two elementary school playgrounds that were constructed during the summer of 2018 and had additional updates added in 2019.
In 2018-2019, we continued to provide quality experiences and assistance to the schools and families. We hosted our 2nd Annual Ninja Warrior Challenge at both elementary schools in October, as well as continued to provide our usual variety of items. 2019-2020 looks to be another great year filled with fun activities!
There are many opportunities for you to get involved with Ballard schools and with the PTO. We are always looking for a caring and helping hand. Our meetings will be held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month during the school year (except November and May which will be held on the 1st Tuesday) from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the High School Media Room. Childcare is provided.
Please 'Like' us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with what is happening and feel free to email us with any questions or concerns. We are here for the school, the students, the district and the families.
School Break Reading Challenges
- We challenge our elementary students to keep reading over school breaks. We'll send home a tracking form for each break.
- Right now: Thanksgiving Reading Challenge | November 27 - December 1 | Goal: 120 minutes - Forms due back to teachers by December 3.
- Coming Soon: Winter Break Reading Challenge | December 21 - January 5 | Goal: 300 minutes
- All students who meet the reading goal for the break get a prize and get entered into our drawing to sit at a special Star Table for lunch one day.
- The top reader in each classroom and each grade get bonus prizes!
- For more details, visit our Reading Challenge page.
PTO Parent Mixer
- We're hosting a Parent Mixer in January! Watch for more details to come.
- This will be an opportunity for parents to have a little fun and find out various ways you can support the PTO (even if you can't come to regular meetings!).
Annual Teacher Dinners
- Each spring, we host a dinner for each Elementary School where the Teachers serve their students and families.
- Dinners will be served at the Back 9 Restaurant from 4 - 7 pm.
- Monday, February 3 - MEATBALL MONDAY - Ballard West
- Monday, March - TACOS WITH TEACHERS - Ballard East
- Meals will be buffet-style, with the teachers serving beverages and clearing tables. Cost is a set amount per person, but is still being confirmed and will be posted soon. Price will include buffet plus a soft beverage (soda, milk, juice, etc) for each person.
- PTO will receive 20% all dinner sales, as well as all tips for these events.
2019-2020 PTO Officers
- Lora Gibson
- Katie Sterk
Purchase Ballard gear through QB Studios in Ankeny. A portion of all proceeds goes to support the PTO. (Go to "Products" menu at top of page and click "View All Products" to see everything offered.)