News and Updates
- Paper titled "ERICA: Enabling Real-time Mistake Detection & Corrective Feedback for Free-Weights Exercises" accepted and presented at ACM Sensys'20. Congrats Meera, Darshana and Koon Han!
- Papers titled "Robust, Fine-Grained Occupancy Estimation via Combined Camera & WiFi Indoor Localization" & "Jointly Optimizing Sensing Pipelines for Multimodal Mixed Reality Interaction" accepted at IEEE MASS'20. Congrats Anuradha & Darshana!
- Paper titled "Gesture-Enhanced Comprehension of Ambiguous Human-to-Robot Instructions" accepted at ACM ICMI'20. Congrats Dulanga & Tuan!
- Delivered Keynote Talks on the topic of "Collaborative Machine Intelligence" at the following events: (a) CML-IoT'20 Workshop@Ubicomp; (b) IEEE SmartComp 2020; and (c) HDR-Nets 2020 Workshop@ICNP.
Hiring Opportunities/ Announcements
I'm looking for researchers and engineers as follows:
- 1 Ph.D. student, starting Aug 2021, in the broad areas of: (i) wearable & IoT sensing; or (ii) multi-modal fusion for human-robot collaboration.
- Research engineers for (a) project on "optimized ML for human-robot collaboration"  and (c) project on "ultra-low energy wearables & sensing".
- Mobile & Wearable Sensing & Computing,
- Urban & Socio-Physical Analytics
- Smart City Services and Applications.
Prior to joining SMU, I spent over a decade as an industrial researcher, including stints as: a Senior Scientist at Telcordia Technologies, Piscataway, NJ (2008-2010), Research Staff Member at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY (2001-2008) and Research Scientist at Bellcore, Morristown, NJ (2001-2008).
- Vice Provost (Research), SMU, 07/2020-current
- Director, Center for Applied Smart-Nation Analytics (CASA), 09/2016-current
- Deputy Director, Living Analytics Research Center (LARC), 09/2010-current: https://larc.smu.edu.sg