AASTEC Internship Program

We are no longer accepting applications for 2024 student internship placements.  

We will begin accepting applications for spring 2025 student internship placements mid-November 2024.

The Albuquerque Area Southwest Tribal Epidemiology Center (AASTEC) is committed to working with American Indian/Alaska Native undergraduate and graduate students to provide them with exposure to applied public health practice within a tribal-serving organization. An internship with AASTEC is an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and skills in the areas of data collection and management, survey design, program evaluation, community-based health research, developing health education/communication materials and much more! 

Interns will work directly with AASTEC program staff including our epidemiologists and evaluation specialists. 

This is an 8-12 week paid internship for up to 30 hours per week in the summer and approximately 20 hours per week during the school year. 

NOTE: If you interested in using this internship placement to fulfill a practicum, capstone, or course credit requirement, please contact 

Carolyn Parshall (cparshall@aaihb.org) before proceeding with the application.

Icon,head,profile,globe,continents - free image from needpix.com

Real world Experience

Work in a professional environment that puts you at the forefront of public health issues in Native communities throughout the Albuquerque IHS Area. 

File:01 Icon-Community@2x.png - Wikimedia Commons

community impact

Give back to communities via outreach, public health education, and public health intervention programs. 

Data Analysis Statistics - Free image on Pixabay

Data Collection and Analysis

Collect and analyze health data and use it to promote public health in our Native communities. 

Eligibility criteria

Students must complete an online application form and submit the following items to be considered for an internship placement:

Letter of recommendation

Current CV/resume

Current academic transcripts

American Indian/Alaska Native

Internship applicants who are enrolled in a federally or state-recognized tribe will be given preference.


We currently accept applications from undergraduate (you must have completed at least one year of college coursework) and graduate students. You must also be in good academic standing in your major or program.