Welcome to 2nd Peterborough St. Luke’s Scouting !
Updated October 16, 2018
- www.2ndpeterboroughscouting.ca --- Our Web page including our online Calendar, Contact Info, Photos, Handouts, etc.
- www.facebook.com/groups/244221508950216/ --- Our Facebook Page!
- www.kwascouting.ca --- Our Scout Area that includes all of Peterborough!
- www.scouts.ca --- All of Scouting in Canada!
2'nd Peterborough St. Luke's is a very active group serving the east end of Peterborough, but we draw members from all over the city and from out of town as well. We meet at St. Luke's Anglican Church at 566 Armour Rd. Join us for a fun program that helps build a sound foundation for life. There is a strong group of well trained and enthusiastic Volunteer Leaders who provide stimulating programs for the Youth every week. We go on local and international camps, take part in summer canoeing & kayaking, & learn life skills that will help make our Girls & Boys better citizens. Scouting at St. Luke's started in 1912 and we are one of the oldest continually running groups, not only in Canada, but also worldwide. Legend has it that our first meetings were held in a chicken coop on the hill and some of our older alumni still affectionately refer to us as 2nd Chicken Coop. At our 2012 Centenary a memorial book of past Leaders was prepared - click Gone Home Book.
Our group is made up of Sections. Members are divided by sections based on ages....
- Beavers (age 5-7) meet on Thursdays from 6:30-7:30PM at St. Luke's Anglican Church
- Cubs (age 8-10) meet on Tuesdays from 7-8:30PM at St. Luke's Anglican Church
- Scouts (age 11-14+) meet on Wednesdays from 7-9PM at St. Luke's Anglican Church
- Venturers (age 14-17) we do not have a Venturer Company this year, but please see the KWA Venturers
- Rovers (age 18-26) have varying meeting times.
Section 'Scouters' oversee the meetings, work with the Youth to plan the agendas and are referred to by their scouting names. When Leaders are in uniform, parents should feel free to address them as Scouter and their first name ie Scouter John.
We communicate often through e-mail. Please ensure your information is updated with us in the event of a change. If you do not have access to e-mail, please inform the leader within your section and he or she can provide you with paper copies of information that has been sent previously. In addition to e-mail, hand-outs are often provided at meetings to provided details for upcoming events.
We start our year in September and end regular meetings near the beginning of June the following year, although there are often activities into the summer as well. There may be changes to the schedule due to holidays. Visit our website to see the detailed calendar. Print it out and post it on your refrigerator or family bulletin board. You will then be prepared in advance for special events for your section ie. youth may need to be dressed warmly for an outdoor event or may be meeting at an alternate location.
Registration is online only. Please see MyScouts.ca and use the "Group Locator" to look for "2nd Peterborough".
Most Section's Youth bring in dues on a weekly basis. Dues vary by section and cover the general costs of items required for meetings. Dues can be paid weekly or with a full payment for the full year. The amount is determined by the individual section.
We have a few fundraising activities each year....
- Apple Day - Occurs one Saturday in Sept. Youth are asked to be available to collect donations at designated locations in our area. Youth should be in full uniform and dressed appropriately to be outside. As a thank-you for a donation an apple is given to each donor. Each youth are asked to provide one to two hours of their time.
- Scout Popcorn - Youth are given packages showcasing the popcorn options available for sale. Options generally include bags of flavored popcorn, a trail mix item and microwave or traditional popping corn. 50% of the sale stays with our local group and this is our largest fundraiser of the year. We kindly ask that you sell to family, co-workers and neighbors. Popcorn orders are due back at the end of October and product is delivered in late November. Items are perfect for Christmas gifts. Youth that sell popcorn are awarded for their efforts when they reach certain sales levels. Some of the past prizes have included tents, iPods, binoculars etc. Motivated sellers will reap great rewards.
- Scoutrees - In April or May of each year, youth receive pledge envelopes, asking them to collect money towards Scoutrees. 70% of funds raised stay with the local group. Funds are used to support tree planting initiatives and our group will be assigned to a tree planting event in our local area. Generally this event is on a Saturday morning in early May and youth are asked to bring a pail and a shovel. Parents are welcome to join as each youth will be responsible to plant 75 seedlings.
- Incentives!!! - Youth are rewarded for their fundraising efforts with both the Scout Popcorn and the Scoutrees fundraisers. Leaders will have more details at the kick-off’s to the fundraising campaigns.
This meets on a monthly basis. The meeting agenda includes reports from each section, a financial report and then discussion of current issues or planning for upcoming events. All parents are welcome to attend the Group Committee in order to be involved in the decision making process that impacts all sections. Group Committee is one of many ways to become involved or support our organization throughout the year.
At the Beaver level, youth receive crests for events they participate in. At the Cub & Scout levels, Youth refer to the section handbook to find badges of interest to them. As youth earn badges, they take information and materials to a leader within their section to receive confirmation that the badge has been earned. The badge is then awarded at an appropriate time during a meeting. Handbooks detail how badges should be worn.
These are held at various locations, times & dates. We will try to have information available well in advance. Costs for camps and events are minimal, mainly covering food, facilities, etc. Other Events can include Remembrance Day, Parades, Etc. Some events are for Parents too, so we hope to see you!!
Please see the Scouts.ca site for information on Uniforms. Uniform materials are available either online, or at the Scout Shop in Oshawa. Some Leaders make regular trips to the Shop for pickups.
2nd Peterborough Scouts Welcome
More useful Websites...
Other Scout Sites: KWA (Kawartha Waterways Area) Brownsea Base White Pine Council Scouts Canada Scouts Canada Talk Forum Canadian Scout Wiki The Jungle Book (read online) The DUMP WOSM St. Luke’s Anglican Church
Facebook & other Pages: 2nd Peterborough KWA (Kawartha Waterways Area) Brownsea Base Scouts Canada Puebla, Mexico Scouts