Shawn P. Curley
A.B., 1979, Mathematics and Social Sciences, Dartmouth College
M.A., 1981, Mathematics, University of Michigan
Ph.D., 1986, Psychology, University of Michigan
- Decision and judgment processes
- Belief processing
- Judgment assessment and quality
- Effects of product recommendations on consumers' stated preferences
- Evaluating forecast quality
- Bidder behavior in combinatorial auctions
- Ethical decision making regarding software piracy
- Measurement of ambiguity and uncertainty
- Features of information goods as impacting consumer's preferences
- Health Informatics
- Center for Cognitive Sciences
- Editorial Board, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making
- IDS 6401 (Decision Technologies), Fall-A 2012
- HSem 3410H (Honors Seminar: Psychology of Decision Making), Spring 2015
- IDS 6481 (Managerial Decision Making), Fall-B 2015
- IDS 8721 (Behavioral Decision Theory), Spring 2018
- MSBA 6120 (Introduction to Statistics for Data Scientists), Summer 2018
(follow links to Abstracts)
- Adomavicius G, Bockstedt J, Curley SP, Zhang J. (in press). Reducing recommender systems biases: An investigation of rating display designs. MIS Quarterly.
- Adomavicius G, Bockstedt J, Curley SP, Zhang J, Ransbotham S. (2019). The hidden side effects of recommendation systems. Sloan Management Review, 60(2), 21-23.
- Zhang J, Curley S. (2018). Exploring explanation effects on consumers' trust in online recommender agents. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 34(5), 421-432.
- Adomavicius G, Bockstedt J, Curley SP, Zhang J. (2018). Effects of online recommendations on consumers' willingness to pay. Information Systems Research, 29(1), 84-102.
- Adomavicius G, Bockstedt J, Curley SP. (2015). Bundling effects on variety seeking for digital information goods. Journal of Management Information Systems, 31(4), 182-212.
- Adomavicius G, Bockstedt J, Curley SP, Zhang J. (2013). Do recommender systems manipulate consumer preferences? A study of anchoring effects. Information Systems Research, 24(4), 956-975.
- Adomavicius G, Curley SP, Gupta A, Sanyal P. (2013). User acceptance of complex electronic market mechanisms: Role of information feedback. MIS Quarterly, 31(6), 489-503.
- Adomavicius G, Curley SP, Gupta A, Sanyal P. (2013). Impact of information feedback in continuous combinatorial auctions: An experimental study of economic performance. MIS Quarterly, 37(1), 55-76.
- Adomavicius G, Curley SP, Gupta A, Sanyal P. (2012). Effect of information feedback on bidder behavior in continuous combinatorial auctions. Management Science, 58(4), 811-830.
- Zamoon S, Curley SP. (2008). Ripped from the headlines: What can the popular press teach us about software piracy? Journal of Business Ethics, 83(3), 515-533.
- Curley SP. (2008). Subjective probability. In E Melnick & B Everitt (eds.), Encyclopedia of Quantitative Risk Analysis and Assessment (pp. 1724-1734). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Curley SP. (2007). The application of Dempster-Shafer theory demonstrated with justification provided by legal evidence. Judgment and Decision Making, 2, 257-276. Full paper from SJDM web site
- Curley SP & Browne GJ. (2001). Normative and descriptive analyses of Simpson's Paradox in decision making. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 84, 308-333.
- Browne GJ, Curley SP & Benson PG. (1999). The effects of subject-defined categories on judgmental accuracy in confidence assessment tasks. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 80, 134-154.
- Browne GJ & Curley SP. (1998). Reasoning with category knowledge in probability forecasting: Typicality and perceived variability effects. In G Wright & P Goodwin (eds.), Forecasting with Judgment (pp. 169-200). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Browne GJ, Curley SP & Benson PG. (1997). Evoking information in probability assessment: Knowledge maps and reasoning-based directed questions. Management Science, 43, 1-14.
- Curley SP & Golden JI. (1996). Improved test-retest reliability criteria as applied to probability assessments. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 9, 291-296.
- Benson PG, Curley SP & Smith GF. (1995). Belief assessment: An underdeveloped phase of probability elicitation. Management Science, 41, 1639-1653.
- Curley SP, Browne GJ, Smith GF & Benson PG. (1995). Arguments in the practical reasoning underlying constructed probability responses. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 8, 1-20.
- Whitcomb KM, Onkal D, Curley SP & Benson PG. (1995). Probability judgment accuracy for general knowledge: Cross-national differences and assessment methods. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 8, 51-67.
- Curley SP & Benson PG. (1994). Applying a cognitive perspective to probability construction. In G Wright & P Ayton (eds.), Subjective Probability (pp. 185-209). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Curley SP & Golden JI. (1994). Using belief functions to represent degrees of belief. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 58, 271-303.
- Whitcomb KM, Onkal D, Benson PG & Curley SP. (1993). An evaluation of the reliability of probability judgments across response modes and over time. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 6, 283-296.
- Bromiley P & Curley SP. (1992). Individual differences in risk taking. In JF Yates (Ed.), Risk-Taking Behavior (pp. 87-132). Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Smith GF, Benson PG & Curley SP. (1991). Belief, knowledge, and uncertainty: A cognitive perspective on subjective probability. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 48, 291-321.
- Connelly DP, Rich EC, Curley SP & Kelly JT. (1990). Knowledge resource preferences of family physicians. The Journal of Family Practice, 30, 353-359.
- Curley SP, Connelly DP & Rich EC. (1990). Physicians' use of medical knowledge resources: Preliminary theoretical framework and findings. Medical Decision Making, 10, 231-241.
- Curley SP, Yates JF & Young MJ. (1990). Seeking and applying diagnostic information. Acta Psychologica, 73, 211-223.
- Yates JF, Lee JW, Levi KR & Curley SP. (1990). Measuring and analyzing probability judgment accuracy in medicine. Philippine Journal of Internal Medicine, 28 (Suppl. 1), 21-32.
- Curley SP & Yates JF. (1989). An empirical evaluation of descriptive models of ambiguity reactions in choice situations. Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 33, 397-427.
- Curley SP, Young MJ & Yates JF. (1989). Characterizing physicians' perceptions of ambiguity. Medical Decision Making, 9, 116-124.
- Curley SP, Young MJ, Kingry MJ & Yates JF. (1988). Primacy effects in clinical judgments of contingency. Medical Decision Making, 8, 216-222.
- Curley SP, Yates JF & Abrams RA. (1986). Psychological sources of ambiguity avoidance. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 38, 230-256.
- Yates JF & Curley SP. (1986). Contingency judgment: Primacy effects and attention decrement. Acta Psychologica, 62, 293-302.
- Curley SP & Yates JF. (1985). The center and range of the probability interval as factors affecting ambiguity preferences. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 36, 273-287.
- Yates JF & Curley SP. (1985). Conditional distribution analyses of probabilistic forecasts. Journal of Forecasting, 4, 61-73.
- Curley SP, Eraker SA & Yates JF. (1984). An investigation of patients' reactions to therapeutic uncertainty. Medical Decision Making, 4, 501-511.