About the Big Ten Academic Alliance Geoportal
- The Big Ten Academic Alliance Geoportal connects users to digital geospatial resources, including GIS datasets, web services, and digitized historical maps from multiple data clearinghouses and library catalogs. The site is solely a search tool and does not host any data.
- The records in the geoportal have been aggregated from state and local data clearinghouses and university library repositories across the Big Ten region. Browse by collection here.
- The geoportal is built with Geoblacklight, a multi-institutional open-source collaboration for finding and sharing geospatial data.
The Big Ten Alliance Geospatial Data Project
The geoportal is part of a collaborative project to provide discoverability, facilitate access, and connect scholars across the Big Ten Academic Alliance to geospatial data resources. The project supports the creation and aggregation of discovery-focused metadata describing geospatial data resources from participating institutions and makes those resources discoverable via an open source portal. The project also provides the technology project staffing and infrastructure to host the services.
This project is collectively managed by librarians and geospatial specialists at ten research institutions from across the Big Ten Academic Alliance including:
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Indiana University Bloomington
- University of Iowa
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- Michigan State University
- University of Minnesota (host institution)
- Pennsylvania State University
- Purdue University
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ohio State University
- University of Chicago