UF/IFAS Extension Seminole County
Pesticide Resources

Looking to obtain a new pesticide license (ie. licensing exams)?

Steps to obtaining a new pesticide license:

Which pesticide license do I need? 

Florida Pesticide License Dichotomous Key (This original key can also be found here: Finding the Correct Pesticide Applicator License in Florida). Si busca información en español, visita esta guía.

Do you apply products to:

1. Mosquitos and other public health threats, CH 388 F.S.

a. Yes—go to Table 1.1.

b. No—go to 2.

2. The interior or exterior of occupied buildings, CH 482 F.S.

a. Yes—go to Table 2.1.

b. No—go to 3.

3. Agriculture and all other sites, CH 487 F.S.

a. Yes—go to Table 3.1.

Table 1.1. Mosquitos and other public health threats.

1. Do you work for the government or on government property?

a. Yes—Public Health

b. No—go to 2.

2. Do you install and service automated mosquito misting devices and/or offer residential or commercial fogging and barrier treatments around occupied structures (homes, hotels, resorts, etc.)?

a. Yes—Pest Control Operator in General Household Pests (GHP) or Lawn and Ornamental (L&O)

b. No—go to 3.

3. Do you make mosquito-control applications to private, commercial, or governmental properties that do not include buildings, and are you for hire?

a. Yes—Public Health

b. No—go to 4.

4. Are you or do you plan to be a director of a county or district mosquito control program?

a. Yes—Mosquito Control Directors

Table 2.1. The interior or outside of occupied buildings, CH 482 F.S.

1. Do you work for the government or on private property and are not a contractor?

a. Yes—go to Table 2.2.

b. No—go to 2.

2. Are you a for-hire contractor?

a. Yes—go to Table 2.3.

Table 2.2. Government or private property around occupied buildings.

1. Do you treat household pests and rodents in and around structures?

a. Yes—Limited Structural

b. No—go to 2.

2. Do you treat lawns and ornamentals around buildings?

a. Yes—Limited Lawn and Ornamental (LLO), unless using Ready-to-Use product, then no license. 

b. No—go to 3.

3. Are you a volunteer?

a. Yes—no license or Limited Lawn and Ornamental if product requires it.

Table 2.3. For-hire contractors around occupied buildings. CH 482, F.S.

Do you:

1. Trap rodents around and in buildings. No bait is allowed—Limited Wildlife

2. Trap or treat household pests and rodents in and around buildings—General Household Pest (PCO GHP) or ID Cardholder. 

3. Treat or inspect for termites and other wood destroying organisms in and around structures, including landscapes—Wood-Destroying Organism (PCO WDO) or ID Cardholder/Special ID Cardholder.

4. Fumigate structures for wood-destroying organisms—Structural Fumigation (PCO FUM) or Special ID Cardholder. 

5. Treat lawns and ornamentals in and around structures—Lawn and Ornamental (PCO L&O) or ID Cardholder. 

6. Applies Fertilizer—Limited Urban Commercial Fertilizer (LUF). 

7. Treat ornamental beds, sidewalks, driveways, NO turf—Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance (LCLM). 

Table 3.1. Agriculture or other sites.

1. Do you use a restricted use product (RUP)?

a. Yes—go to Table 3.2.

b. No—If using a General Use Pesticide (GUP), which is any product that does not have RUP labeling on the top of the product, then a license is not always required. However, it is always suggested to hold the appropriate license for your category. If you still want to know what license is needed, follow the dichotomous key as if you are using RUP products, even if you are not.

Table 3.2. Using restricted use products on agriculture or other sites.

1. Do you apply on property you own or rent, or on property owned or rented by your employer that produces an agricultural


a. Yes—Private applicator agriculture

b. No—go to 2.

2. Do you work in agriculture production? (crops, fields, seeds, forests, sod, livestock)

a. Yes—go to Table 3.3.

b. No—go to 3.

3. Do you apply in nonagriculture sites? (natural areas, golf courses, cemeteries, parks, athletic fields, water)

a. Yes—go to Table 3.4.

Table 3.3. Restricted use applicators in agriculture production areas (crops, fields, seeds, livestock).

Do you apply to:

1. Production crops (not trees); includes row crops, grains, forage, vegetables, small fruits not produced on trees, pastures; no fumigation Agricultural Row Crop

2. Production trees; includes citrus, blueberries, pecans, or crop grown on woody shrubs/trees; no fumigation Agricultural Tree Crop

3. Seeds; no fumigation Seed Treatment

4. Field soils, containerized plants, potting soil, lawns, turf, and ornamentals not associated with structures using fumigant injections or applications; or within enclosed agricultural structures such as greenhouses where agricultural production is in progress using fumigant injections or applications — Soil and Greenhouse Fumigation.

5. Postharvest raw ag commodity or applied to ag storage facilities using fumigationsRaw Agricultural Commodity Fumigation

6. Land from an aircraft Aerial

7. Animals, in or on places where such animals are kept or confined (includes swine, cattle, sheep, horses, fish, poultry, bees, and other agricultural livestock) Agricultural Animal

8. Forests, forest nurseries, or forest seed orchards Forest

9. Ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers, or sod on a nursery/production farmOrnamental and Turf

Table 3.4. Restricted use applicators in nonagriculture areas (natural areas, golf courses, cemeteries, parks, athletic fields, water).

Do you:

1. Use herbicides to control vegetation to protect natural communities and ecosystems in natural areas Natural Areas

2. Applications to water, standing or running water, banks or shorelines. Excludes chlorine gas and public health activities Aquatics

3. Maintenance of ornamental plants or sod. Also includes turfgrass growing in or on cemeteries, golf courses, parks, or athletic fields. Does not include lawns around structures Ornamental and Turf

4. Maintenance of right-of-way areas associated with public roads, electric power lines, pipelines, railroads, and other

similar areas  — Right-of-Way

5. Other—Wood treatment, antifouling paint, sewer root, chlorine gas infusion, regulatory, demonstration and research.

Looking to renew an existing license (ie. CEUs)? 

You have two options for your renewal:

Renewing you license by Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

How many CEUs have I already obtained?

If your CEU forms have been uploaded to FDACS, you will find them in the FDACS Completed CEU database. If you are unsure of your license number, you can search that in the FDACS Licensed Applicator search portal

Looking for information by pesticide license type? 

Visit this UF EDIS Document for information specific to each license: Finding the Correct Pesticide Applicator License in Florida. 

Still have questions? 

Please reach out to UF/IFAS Extension Seminole County by phone at (407) 665-5560 or by email extension@seminolecountyfl.gov. If you are outside of Seminole County, FL, you can find your local county extension office here.