UB-SEDS was founded in 2007 and currently boasts about 30 to 40 regular members. Most members are Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering majors, but some members are majoring in other STEM subjects, such as Physics or Math. Within the UB Student Association, UB-SEDS is a Permanent member of the UB Engineering Council. The missions of this chapter as outlined in the club Constitution are as follows:
- To educate the UB student body and the general public about the benefits of space exploration and development,
- To provide members with relevant internship, research, and publication opportunities,
- To encourage area youth to get involved with space development and exploration,
- To foster international discussion and the exchange of ideas related to the exploration and development of space, and
- To encourage collaboration of many fields of study in order to integrate a wider group of people bound for space exploration.
UB-SEDS has a history of strong involvement with SEDS USA, with 10 members serving on the SEDS national board since the chapter’s formation. Additionally, SpaceVision 2012 was hosted at UB.