Resume / CV
Manager, Publisher Relations; March 2015 to June 2019
- Oversaw the company's UK-based Publisher Relations presence, a role established in August 2016 to strengthen relationships with European publishing partners. Transferred by Thomson Reuters to London from United States (Philadelphia) to lead this effort.
- Managed strategic accounts, fostering relationships with key publishers providing a high volume of content for Web of Science, a multidisciplinary collection of influential scholarly research covering academic journals, books, and conference proceedings.
- Coordinated with sales, marketing, editorial, and technology teams to create products and services that meet the needs of publisher partners.
- Traveled extensively to collaborate with key partners and to speak at conferences.
F.A. Davis Company, a medical publisher in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Primarily as Senior Acquisitions (Commissioning) Editor; July 2004 to March 2015
- Developed content and financial strategies across academic disciplines.
- Led multiple project teams in a matrix-management environment, coordinating the efforts of authors, editors, marketers, and print- and digital-publishing specialists.
- Managed Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses, the company’s best-selling nursing product, in both print and electronic formats (total annual sales: $3.5 million USD).
- Oversaw content integration and QA testing for Calculating Dosages Online, converting a CD-only product to a web- and subscription-based learning resource.
Quirk Books, a nonfiction publisher in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Freelance editor and proofreader; September 2002 to September 2004
- Edited manuscripts at various stages of completion and in a variety of genres.
IC Axon (formerly MedCases), a med-tech startup in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Primarily as Senior Production Editor; February 2001 to July 2004
- Created multimedia educational content with a team of physicians, medical writers, and software engineers, and edited a variety of company publications.
The Times Leader, a daily newspaper in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA
Copy editor, daily and Sunday editions; July 2000 to February 2001
- Wrote headlines and edited local, national, international, business, and sports copy.
The University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA
Bachelor’s degrees in communication and philosophy; Class of 2000
- Graduate of the Special Jesuit Liberal Arts Honors Program, a philosophy-based curriculum that develops clear and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Founded Smarter Learning LLC, a US-based publishing startup that created mobile apps for Apple devices (iOS) and provided traditional publishing and consulting services such as manuscript development and contract negotiation.
- Co-Chair, Community Engagement Committee, for the non-profit Society for Scholarly Publishing. Provide strategic and operational direction for SSP's UK- and European-centric organizing committees.
- Mentor, SSP Mentorship Program, 2018-19 cohort. Matched with an early-career industry professional.
- Co-Founder, Philadelphia chapter of the Editorial Freelancers Association, a national non-profit organization headquartered in New York City. Organized networking and social events, panel discussions, and guest speakers between 2014 and 2016. (Tweets from events are archived @EFAphilly.)
Contact Tom here
See a list of Tom's speaking engagements here