Personal Financial Responsibility is a 1-semester high school course endorsed by the Indiana Department of Education. It follows the state standards for the course, which are based on the following 6 core standards:
- Students demonstrate management of individual and family finances by applying reliable information and systematic decision making.
- Students analyze how education, income, career and life choices relate to achieving financial goals.
- Students manage money effectively by developing financial goals and budgets.
- Students manage credit and debt to remain both creditworthy and financially secure.
- Students analyze the features of insurance, its role in balancing risk and benefit in financial planning.
- Students analyze saving and inesting to build long-term financial security and wealth.
Mr. Gaking teaches Intro to Entrepreneurship and Personal Financial Responsibility at Southwestern Jr./Sr. High School, where he is also the director of bands and choirs. He is a certified business instructor in the state of Indiana, having passed the Indiana CORE Business Assessment. His business experience includes operating a sole proprietorship and working for small businesses, large corporations, and non-profit organizations.
Mr. Gaking received his B.M. in Music Education from Butler University and taught in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis and the Muncie Community Schools before coming to Southwestern in 2013. He is originally from Cleveland, Ohio, where he graduated from St. Edward High School.
Mr. Gaking resides in Indianapolis, IN. His wife, Jennifer Sherbak, teaches Language Arts at Mt. Vernon High School in Fortville, IN. He has a pet turtle, Fred, who is over 30 years old! His favorite things to do outside of school are reading, writing, and spending time at the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
Mr. Gaking completed both levels of the Google for Education program and is a Google Certified Educator. He is especially fluent in spreadsheets and their business applications. He is enthusiastic about using technology to enhance teaching and business.