Seal of Biliteracy
Welcome to the PVHS Seal of Biliteracy information page!
What is the seal of biliteracy?
Being able to know and use more than one language is a critical skill for the 21st century. Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise recently announced that the Iowa Seal of Biliteracy is now available for Iowa schools, beginning with the Class of 2019, to recognize students who demonstrate proficiency in two or more world languages by high school graduation.
The Seal of Biliteracy:
- values world languages as an asset
- recognizes the value of language diversity & cultural identity
- prepares students with 21st century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society
- provides employers, universities, and grant/scholarship providers with a method to recognize applicants for their dedication to attainment of biliteracy
Starting with the class of 2019, any PVHS Junior or Senior may apply for the Seal.
how do i qualify?
You must show proficiency in 2 languages, with English being one of them.
The options to demonstrate English proficiency include meeting one of the following requirements:
· ACT Test – English score of 18+
· AP English Language or Literature score – 3+
· ELPA21 Test score – 4 or 5 in all domains
The options to demonstrate proficiency in another language include a variety of testing options, all of which will be administered by Pleasant Valley. The assessment used will depend upon the language in which a student is wishing to demonstrate proficiency.
when will testing occur?
Testing will be at the end of February. You will receive a link to sign up for a preferred time. Testing is approximately 2 hours.
We will be administering the World Language assessments every Spring for any interested Junior or Senior.
how much does it cost?
It depends on which test you take. To show proficiency in most World languages, the cost of the test is $20. ASL pricing is different.
Students are responsible to pay for their own test. Payments will be posted into your Infinite Campus account and must be paid for prior to ordering a test for you.
what will i receive?
Students who can demonstrate proficiency in 2 languages will receive the Seal of Biliteracy on their transcript as well as a certificate at Academic Awards night.