At Nutrien, our purpose is to grow our world from the ground up. As the world’s largest provider of crop inputs, services and solutions we help farmers grow abundant crops – and we want to do so in a sustainable way. For Nutrien, sustainability means developing innovative solutions that aim to balance environmental, social and economic factors in our business and across our value chain. In 2018, we began the development of a new Nutrien sustainability strategy to advance resilient agricultural practices and strengthen sustainable food production.
To achieve our ambitions, we needed to evaluate where we were at and where we want to be. Baseline data was compiled in 2018 and continues into 2019 to ensure we are aligned internally and can set meaningful and impactful targets, initiatives and measurements. We are integrating sustainability across the company by focusing on the following areas:
-Sustainable Agriculture: Lead the next wave of innovation and sustainability in agriculture.
-Environmental Footprint: Protect the planet and minimize our environmental impact.
-Diversity and Inclusive Growth: Champion diversity and inclusive growth in the agriculture industry.
The Colorado ELP Program aligns well with our environmental footprint strategy. Our corporate office based in Loveland, CO is leading by example in the following areas:
Responsible Energy & Greenhouse Gas Reduction
- Measuring utility use.
- Optimization of electricity and natural gas efficiency.
Waste Minimization & Diversion
- Measuring total waste generated.
- Diverted waste to the landfill through recycling and composting.
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Donations to Larimer County Food Bank, and United Way Campaign.
- Volunteer at the Habitat for Humanity and Future Farmers of America.
- Teach elementary students about plants and agriculture through the Seed Survivor Program.