Scenic Cougar Paws
February 12, 2020
Please scroll through to find information of interest for our Scenic community. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd -- I try to share what is happening at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
**Please Note: For IPhone/IPad Users: PDF files will only open in Safari on iPhone 7 and the latest version of iPad.
The workaround for this is to open www.ssdcougars.org/sceweekly in Chrome and bookmark the page for future use. Chrome is available to download free in the app store.
- Poster Contests! Calling all artists! The Media NAACP is hosting their annual poster contest for Black History Month. This year's theme is the 2020 Census. All entries are due in the main office by February 19th! Holcomb Behavioral Health Systems is sponsoring their 32nd annual Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Awareness Poster Contest. All entries are due in the main office by March 2nd! Please see the flyers below for details and directions.
- Please note: In order to be compliant with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), SSD employs GoGuardian to filter and monitor student activity on district-issued Chromebooks. CIPA requires the Internet to be filtered to protect minors from harmful website content. When students are logged into their @ssdstudent.org account, at school or at home, the GoGuardian content filters and activity monitors are active, in accordance with the SSD Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Student accounts are monitored and should not be used for anything other than school-related computer work. If a student is flagged for being on an inappropriate site, consequences can include restrictions on using Chromebooks at school. To review information about Scenic’s Electronic Device Program and the AUP, click here.
- It's time to purchase your 2020 Yearbook! Details are below. NOTE: If your child earned a yearbook in the Walkathon, you do not have to order a book - that will be done for you!
- Reminder from the cafeteria - If your child is purchasing lunch or snacks in the cafeteria, they must put the money on their lunch account in the morning before announcements. Students may not pay in cash in the lunch line. Thanks!
- Student safety:
- Car line pick up at dismissal is only at the main entrance. Please do not pick up students in the side parking lot. It is not safe.
- For drop-off and pick-up in the car line, please do not pull out of the line to pass cars that are still unloading students. Wait until the line moves forward to exit the school property. This also applies to early drop off for band, orchestra, or chorus.
- Reminder: all students need headphones or earbuds. They do not need to be fancy - they can be purchased at the Dollar Store or $5 Below. Please put them in a ziplock bag or small container marked with your child's name and homeroom. we do have a limited supply of earbuds available for $3 each. To purchase, send in $3 in an envelope marked with your child's name and homeroom number.
- Please be aware that our students go outside for recess every day, weather permitting. This allows them to run around, connect with friends in other homerooms, and enjoy a little free time. We use the Child Care Weather Watch to guide the decision for outdoor recess. Please make sure your child is dressed for the weather!
The Making a Difference Award is presented to individuals throughout Delaware County who demonstrate extraordinary efforts through their work to promote acceptance and understanding to ensure the inclusion of all students. Attached is the nomination flyer which contains information about the criteria for nominating someone as well as the link to the nomination form. All nominations must be submitted online by Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5pm. Final decisions about winners will be made by March 14, 2020. An award ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday, April 15, 2020 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Paxon Hollow Middle School.
Springfield School District is so fortunate to work with so many wonderful staff members, students, and families who do great things each and every day. Please consider nominating students and/or staff who you feel deserved to be recognized because of their efforts to promote inclusion in our district.
SCENIC HILLS FROSTIVAL
“LEAP INTO 2020"
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22ND
11 AM - 3 PM
Enjoy Carnival Games, Spin Art, Inflatable Bounces, Face Painting, Arts & Crafts, Miniature Golf, Prizes, Raffle Baskets (cash only), Baked Goods, and Refreshments.
- This is an indoor event so come rain or shine.
- Cost is $10.00 per child for all access. Cost for Families of 3 or more children is $25.00.
- Adults & Children under 3 are FREE and do not need a ticket
- Every ticket sold is accompanied by a raffle ticket delivered at the door.
- Purchase your tickets in advance right here, via PayPal, through Wednesday, February 19th.
- Advance ticket purchases will be held at the door on the day of the event. Stop at the entrance to check in.
Order Online Today at:
Use School Code:
*Students who qualified for a free yearbook because of Walkathon Fundraising do not need to order a yearbook. Those students should have received a certificate from the Walkathon committee**
Phillies All-Star Teacher Contest!
The Phillies will honor great educators in the region who are making a difference on May 1, 2020, during the 20th annual Teacher Appreciation Night powered by Constellation. Each year, the Phillies select 10 area teachers, nominated by current and former students, parents and peers, to honor as All-Star Teachers. Now through March 13, 2020 at 4:59 p.m. ET, you can nominate a teacher, past or present, who has positively impacted your life.
Please feel free to e-mail email@example.com with any questions regarding the program. Click the link below to complete your nomination!
You can access iReady at home by following these easy steps!
Chartwells: Monthly menu and account information; Free and Reduced Lunch Info
Information on Home Access Center (HAC), Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), FERPA, dental exams, field trips, CHIP, school safety, and attendance procedures.
School Safety and Security
Springfield School District is taking measures to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment for all of our students. Learn about this on the school district website: https://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/school-safety-security
Thank you for your support in ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of our students.
To report a student's absence,
- Telephone the attendance hotline (610-938-6610), OR
- Email Scenic.Attendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence, OR
- Use the link on the Scenic website to submit attendance. (Go to the Scenic page, click on Parents in the upper right-hand corner; select Attendance from the dropdown list, and in the middle of the page you will find a link to submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: School district policy and PA law require a written note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence. If you call the attendance hotline, please send in a note on your child's return to school. If you email Scenic Attendance, it is not necessary to send in another note.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- The absence becomes Unexcused (UA) if a note is not received within 3 days of the absence. If your child has three Unexcused Absences (UA), you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, online, or from your child’s teacher.
- Please check your child's attendance in HAC. Any questions, please call Dr. O'Dowd or Mrs. Speakes.
- Please note: If your child is marked absent, you will receive a phone call and email to your contacts in HAC. This confirms the absence and serves as a reminder to send in a written absence note if you have not already done so.
Students should not arrive at school before 8:30 a.m. At that time, there is staff on duty to monitor students in the halls. If you need to drop your child off earlier, please consider the YMCA before school program. Thanks!!
Birthday celebrations, chaperoning field trips, bus changes, and the handbook link.
FAMILY AND STUDENT HANDBOOK:
The Springfield Elementary Schools Family and Student Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out!
If you are interested in chaperoning a field trip or volunteering for events in the classrooms, please make sure we have valid security clearances on file in the main office. The forms and information can be found at: http://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/security-clearances Please note that these clearances are valid for five years.
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
Presidents' Day - Monday, February 17 - School is closed!
FROSTIVAL! Saturday, February 22! Tickets are on sale now!
Sproul Lanes Family Bowling Night! Attn Scenic Families: Save the Date! Scenic Hill Home and School Assoc will be hosting bowling on Friday Feb 28th from 6-8 at Sproul Lanes. Cost will be 20pp, include 2 hours of bowling, and shoes.
Spring Spirit Wear Sale!! Orders will be taken until March 8 at midnight and delivery will be the week of 3/30. Order via this link: https://brothersscreen.tuosystems.com/stores/scenic-hills-spring-20
Sproul Lanes Family Bowling Night
Scenic Hill Home and School Assoc will be hosting bowling on
Friday Feb 28th from 6-8 at Sproul Lanes.
Cost is 20pp, include 2 hours of bowling, and shoes.
Link for tickets: https://www.ssdcougars.org/schools/scenic-hills-elementary-school/parents/home-school/paypal -OR-
You can also send your ticket money into school with your child's name, grade and home room teacher. Please write attn: Angel Celona c/o Julia Celona room 10 on the envelope
Will sell out at 84 tickets!
- Home & School email: email@example.com
- Home & School Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
- Scenic Hills School Website: https://www.ssdcougars.org/schools/scenic-hills-elementary-school
- District Website: https://www.ssdcougars.org
ECOLOGY CENTER Do you love nature? Want to help out at Scenic Hills on a flexible schedule? Then come volunteer at the Ecology Center! Spend some time visiting the creatures that call the Ecology Center home and help us to maintain a very cool environment for all the kids to learn and explore at school. Shelly the tortoise is hard to miss, but you might also spot some box turtles and a family of ducks. We will be doing a fall and spring cleanup event, as well as another Driven to Give test-drive fundraising event this spring. Please contact Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in getting involved!!
FACEBOOK PAGE Stay up to date with events and Scenic happenings on our Facebook page – search Scenic Hills Home & School Association. We kindly ask that you keep your posts and comments positive and only related to Home & School events and Scenic Hills. Posts specific to teachers, homework and classroom events should be directed to the teacher or Homeroom parents. Questions related to non-school sports, events and activities should be posted on your personal facebook page. You MUST answer the security questions about your child’s name and grade – for the safety of our families we cannot add you to the group if you do not answer them. Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
REGISTER YOUR GIANT CARD! Register your Giant shopper card today, choose Scenic Hills as your school to support and help us earn FREE MONEY! Login in to your account, our school number is 23812 - do it NOW before you forget!!
Scenic Hills Home and School Association http://www.ssdcougars.org/webpages/hsscenic/
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/