Scenic Cougar Paws
February 20, 2019
Please scroll through to find information of interest for our Scenic community. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd -- I try to share what is happening at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
For IPhone/IPad Users: PDF files will only open in Safari on iPhone 7 and the latest version of iPad.
The workaround for this is to open www.ssdcougars.org/sceweekly in Chrome and bookmark the page for future use. Chrome is available to download free in the app store.
- Reminder - We go outside for recess every day unless the temperature with the wind chill dips below freezing. Students should be dressed for the weather -- long pants, coats, gloves, hats. It's a good idea to label items with your child's name so we can return them if they end up in the Lost and Found. Thanks!
- Reminder - As per the elementary Student Handbook, valuable items such as electronics should not be brought to school as they can be a distraction. This includes items such as Apple watches, i-pads, i-pods, and electronic games. If a student requires a phone for contacting parents on the way to or home from school, the phone must be turned off and kept in the student's backpack during the school day. Thank you for your understanding.
- Headphones: All students need headphones for use with computer programs during the school day. Please send headphones in with your child, in a plastic bag or container marked with the student's name and homeroom. We have headphones available for a one time purchase for $2.00. If a student purchases headphones, we will send a note home for payment. Thank you!
- Book Collection! Room 6 is collecting adult and children’s books for the Frostival. No textbooks please.
- The next Home and School meeting is Wednesday, March 6 at 6 p.m. in the LMC. Free childcare is provided. Our guest speaker for the meeting is a representative of the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office, and the topic is cybersafety. More details to come!
Do you know of a student or teacher who has overcome challenges, or supported inclusion, or who has gone above and beyond to promote acceptance and understanding of all students? Nominations are being accepted until Thursday, February 28 for the 7th annual Making a Difference Award, sponsored by the Delaware County Intermediate Unit! Please see this flyer for directions to nominate a special student or teacher!
It's Read Across America Week at Scenic!
One person's trash is another person's treasure... we need your help to create a "Maker Space" in the CBL lab! Please check the list - We would appreciate any donations of these items that you might have around the house.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...
BOYS AND GIRLS..
.CHILDREN OF ALL AGES...
It's time for FROSTIVAL!!
Scenic's fabulous indoor carnival is slated for SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. These flyers have all the information you need! Don't miss it!
Access iReady at home for some extra practice!
School Safety and Security Web Page
Springfield School District is taking measures to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment for all of our students. Learn about this on the school district website: https://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/school-safety-security
Thank you for your support in ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of our students.
Camp Invention® is Returning to Springfield School District!
In partnership with the National Inventors Hall of Fame® (NIHF), Springfield Literacy Center is pleased to offer the nationally acclaimed Camp Invention® program to children entering kindergarten through sixth grade. It’s an exciting, weeklong summer adventure with lessons that explore connections between science, technology, engineering and innovation. Children work together to create solutions to real-world problems and build critical 21st-century skills while rotating through several high-energy, hands-on modules. The week begins on June 24, 2019 with Lori Schmidt serving as Director of the ALL-NEW 2019 program, Supercharged!
Here are how young innovators will be spending their time:
- Exploring the electrifying relationship between frequency, circuitry, motors and gears through reverse-engineering and rebuilding their very own remote-controlled robot.
- Unearthing hidden fossils then building ships and innovative equipment to embark on a research expedition to uncover more exciting information about their discovery.
- Coding and programming robot, Bot-ANN-E, to take on duties and help turn a polluted wasteland into a fruitful farm and successful business.
- Collaborating with the Innovation Force®, a team of NIHF Inventors turned action-packed superheroes, to design superhero gadgets and disguises, explore the fields of engineering and fabrication and take on the sinister villain, the Plagiarizer.
Activities give participants the opportunity to explore, discover and achieve while having fun! Local educators facilitate program modules and enthusiastic high-school students serve as Leadership Interns, ensuring that one staff member is in place for every eight children.
Register using promo code INNOVATE25L to save $25 (expires 3/22) or PLAY15LISTING to save $15 (expires 5/10) OFF $255. Every registration includes a complimentary Camp Invention t-shirt. Availability is limited, so visit www.invent.org/camp or call 800-968-4332 to secure your child’s spot today!
For Your Reference:
To report a student's absence,
- Telephone the attendance hotline (610-938-6610), OR
- Email ScenicAttendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence, OR
- Use the link on the Scenic website to submit attendance. (Go to the Scenic page, click on Parents in the upper right-hand corner; select Attendance from the dropdown list, and in the middle of the page you will find a link to submit an email to email@example.com
NOTE: School district policy and PA law require a written note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence. If you call the attendance hotline, please send in a note on your child's return to school. If you email Scenic Attendance, it is not necessary to send in another note.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- The absence becomes Unexcused (UA) if a note is not received within 3 days of the absence. If your child has three Unexcused Absences (UA), you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, online, or from your child’s teacher.
- Please check your child's attendance in HAC. Any questions, please call Dr. O'Dowd or Mrs. Speakes.
- Please note: If your child is marked absent, you will receive a phone call and email to your contacts in HAC. This confirms the absence and serves as a reminder to send in a written absence note if you have not already done so.
FAMILY AND STUDENT HANDBOOK:
The Springfield Elementary Schools Family and Student Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out!
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
If you are interested in chaperoning a field trip or volunteering for events in the classrooms, please make sure we have valid security clearances on file in the main office. The forms and information can be found at: http://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/security-clearances Please note that these clearances are valid for five years.
Students should not arrive at school before 8:30 a.m. At that time, there is staff on duty to monitor students in the halls. If you need to drop your child off earlier, please consider the YMCA before school program. Thanks!!
All students who use computers at Scenic Hills must have a completed Acceptable Use Policy on file. You can complete this online at www.ssdcougars.org/elemaup.
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
Do you love nature? Want to help out at Scenic Hills on a flexible schedule? Then come volunteer at the Ecology Center! Spend some time visiting the creatures that call the Ecology Center home and help us to maintain a very cool environment for all the kids to learn and explore at school. Shelly the tortoise is hard to miss, but you might also spot some box turtles and a family of ducks. We will be doing a fall and spring cleanup event, as well as another Driven to Give test-drive fundraising event this spring. Please contact Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in getting involved!!
Stay up to date with events and Scenic happenings on our Facebook page – search Scenic Hills Home & School Association. We kindly ask that you keep your posts and comments positive and only related to Home & School events and Scenic Hills. Posts specific to teachers, homework and classroom events should be directed to the teacher or Homeroom parents. Questions related to non-school sports, events and activities should be posted on your personal facebook page. You MUST answer the security questions about your child’s name and grade – for the safety of our families we cannot add you to the group if you do not answer them. Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
REGISTER YOUR GIANT CARD!
Register your Giant shopper card today, choose Scenic Hills as your school to support and help us earn FREE MONEY! Login in to your account, our school number is 23812 - do it NOW before you forget!!
Scenic Hills Home and School Association http://www.ssdcougars.org/webpages/hsscenic/
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
PAW PRINT GEAR FOR SALE!
Water bottles, car magnets, jewelry, hair accessories and MORE! See the attached flyer for ordering information!
Shoe Box Recycling: Don't throw out those old shoes! Recycle them at Scenic - the money we earn from this program benefits the Ecology Center. Just drop off your donations in the main lobby.