Scenic Cougar Paws
November 15, 2017
Please scroll through to find information of interest from Scenic Hills, the school district, the community, and from Home and School. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd -- I try to share what is happening at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
The faculty and staff of Scenic Hills Elementary School wish all of our Scenic Families a very happy Thanksgiving!
NOTES AND REMINDERS:
- Home and School Meeting Wednesday, November 15th in the LMC at 7 p.m.! Childcare is available!
- Blue and Gold Spirit Day on Friday, November 17! Let's cheer our SHS Cougars on to victory in their play-off game against Upper Dublin Friday night!!
- Parent-Teacher Conferences are scheduled for November 20 and 21. There is no school for students in grades K-8 on the three days before Thanksgiving. Information on signing up for conferences has been sent home by your child's teacher. Sign-up this year will be via Sign-Up Genius.
Please note that there is a limited amount of time for conferences during these two days; therefore, we can only schedule one conference per student. We ask that parents and guardians work together to plan a common conference time.
Parent / Teacher conferences are an important opportunity to meet with your child's teachers, and we look forward to seeing you!
- Veterans' Collection: To honor our veterans throughout the upcoming holiday season, Scenic is once again collecting, packaging, and delivering personal care items to the hospitalized veterans at Coatesville Veterans Hospital. If you would like to participate, please send in the items included on the grade-specific letter sent home last week. (Most can be purchased at the Dollar Store.) Thank you for your support - the veterans are always very appreciative of our generosity.
- 4th and 5th graders: It's time for Reading Olympics! Read the flyer below for details!
- If you MISSED the sign up for the elementary student directory and you would like to be included in the reprint in January, please log onto https://goo.gl/forms/Dzo0QG4EPQZX9zqF3 and enter your student's information. If you are already included in the directory DO NOT re-enter your information!! You are automatically included in the new edition.
- HEAD PHONES: All students need headphones for use with computer programs during the school day. Please send headphones in, in a plastic bag marked with the student's name and homeroom. These can be inexpensive headphones, purchased at 5 Below, a Dollar Store, or Target/Walmart.
- Health Screenings: Volunteers are needed to assist the nurses with vision, hearing, height and weight checks for our students. Duties include weighing and measuring students and recording their data; assisting the nurses with placing and removing headphones on the children for their hearing tests and directing the children to the appropriate stations. Discretion is needed due to the sensitive nature of the height/weight process. Our final screening day is Friday, November 17th. Please see Sign Up Genius to volunteer. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4bafac2daa8-2017 Thanks!
- If you are interested in chaperoning a field trip this year or volunteering for events in the classrooms, please make sure we have valid security clearances on file in the main office. The forms and information can be found at: http://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/security-clearances Please note that these clearances are valid for five years.
- REMINDER: Students should not arrive at school before 8:30 a.m. At that time, there is staff on duty to monitor students in the halls. If you need to drop your child off earlier, please consider the YMCA before school program. Thanks!!
- MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR THESE IMPORTANT DATES!!!
- Holidays Around the World/Holiday Shop: Saturday, December 2, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Holiday Teas
- December 13 for 4th @ 9:30 a.m. & 5th @ 1:30 p.m.;
- December 14 for 2nd @ 9:30 a.m. & 3rd @ 1:30 p.m.
- 5th Grade Band, Orchestra & Chorus Concert: December 18, 7 p.m. at Springfield High School.
Scenic is participating in the Springfield School District Turkey Fund!! The Turkey Fund was started more than 20 years ago, and provides food and gift baskets to residents of Springfield and Morton who can use our help at this time of the year. At Scenic, we support this drive by making a cash donation to the fund. Donations are collected from November 1 to December 22. Each homeroom has a goal of $20, and the homeroom turkey receives a feather for every $2 collected. Teachers also support this endeavor with special collections for dress down days during this time. Thank you for your support!
For Your Reference:
The Springfield Elementary Schools Family and Student Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out! Included here for your information: Elementary Cycle Day Calendar, Attendance Procedures, Bus Procedures, this month's Lunch Menu, Car Line Procedures.
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
- For reasons of safety, telephone the attendance hotline (610-938-6610) or email ScenicAttendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence. School district policy requires a written note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence if you call the attendance hotline.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- Until the note is received, the absence is coded as Unexcused. If your child has three Unexcused Absences, you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, online, or from your child’s teacher.
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
So many ways to support our school!
HOME & SCHOOL MEETING –TONIGHT!!! Nov 15, 7 pm, childcare provided
MIDNIGHT MADNESS: FRIDAY, November 17th!
Hello Parents, This is a big event for our 4th graders! The kids will be placed on teams and rotate through different stations. If you sign up to be a team leader, we will place you with your child. We need a lot of parental support for this event. Feel free to sign up for both sessions. Kids will start arriving at 6:45. If you are a team leader, check in helper, or working the first session, please arrive 15 minutes prior. Come and enjoy the Madness! Thank you! The Midnight Madness Committee If you have any questions, please contact Pat Treude firstname.lastname@example.org, Connie Croce email@example.com, Jessica Berry firstname.lastname@example.org, Judy Scherff email@example.com, or Kristie Bean firstname.lastname@example.org
We need MANY MORE volunteers if all of our fabulous events at Scenic are going to happen this year!!!! There are so many great ways to get involved in our school – click the link here for details and sign up for what you are interested in helping with! http://tinyurl.com/yapr6etg
LUNCH VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
One way to volunteer and see your child during the school day is to help out in the cafeteria during their lunch period. Please see the link below for more information and to sign up. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4cadac2ba2f94-cafeteria
REGISTER YOUR GIANT CARD!
Register your Giant shopper card today, choose Scenic Hills as your school to support and help us earn FREE MONEY! Login in to your account, our school number is 23812 - do it NOW before you forget!!
Stay up to date with events and Scenic happenings on our Facebook page – search Scenic Hills Home & School Association. We kindly ask that you keep your posts and comments positive and only related to Home & School events and Scenic Hills. Posts specific to teachers, homework and classroom events should be directed to the teacher or Homeroom parents. Questions related to non-school sports, events and activities should be posted on your personal facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
- HOME & SCHOOL MEETING – Nov 15, 7 pm, childcare provided
- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS/PARENT CONFERENCES – Nov 20 & 21
- THANKSGIVING BREAK – Nov 22-24
- SCENIC CELEBRATES THE HOLIDAYS – Dec 2 – This awesome holiday event combines our famous Holiday Shop where kids can shop for inexpensive gifts for family and friends AND our Holidays Around the World Event where you can travel the world right at Scenic Hills and discover how other countries celebrate different holidays.
Scenic Hills Home and School Association http://www.ssdcougars.org/webpages/hsscenic/
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
PAW PRINT GEAR FOR SALE!
Water bottles, car magnets, jewelry, hair accessories and MORE! See the attached flyer for ordering information!
Shoe Box Recycling: Don't throw out those old shoes! Recycle them at Scenic - the money we earn from this program benefits the Ecology Center. Just drop off your donations in the main lobby.
Here is our 2016-2017 video! Thanks to Mr. Evan for putting it together!!