Scenic Cougar Paws
September 19, 2018
Please scroll through to find information of interest for our Scenic community. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd -- I try to share what is happening at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
For IPhone/IPad Users: PDF files will only open in Safari on iPhone 7 and the latest version of iPad.
The workaround for this is to open www.ssdcougars.org/sceweekly in Chrome and bookmark the page for future use. Chrome is available to download free in the app store.
- It was wonderful seeing so many parents and guardians last week at Back to School Night! I hope to see many of you again at next week's Home and School meeting, Wednesday, September 26 at 7 p.m. Child care is provided.
- Come say hello to the SSD Administrative Team and Springfield Board of School Directors at the SSD Meet and Greet on Friday night, September 21st at 5:30 pm in the SHS courtyard before the football game. While you are there, pick up your SSD wristband while supplies last. We look forward to seeing you there!
- We are starting the 2018-2019 school year with a special collection. If you collected any hotel-size shampoos, soaps, etc. in your travels this summer, please send them in! We will be donating them to the Ronald McDonald House at CHOP. Thanks!
- Our School Safety Week is this week. We will practice all of our emergency drills, including fire drills, lock-downs, off-site evacuation, and shelter-in-place drills. Also, our district Parent Safety Night is Monday, October 8 at 7 p.m. at ETR. Details below. I hope to see you there.
- WALKATHON IS HERE! Check below for information on our Walkathon, running from now until October 11! Packets were also sent home this week. Home and School generously supports so many activities at Scenic that directly benefit our students, and the money comes from our annual Walkathon. Please check the flyer for details on how to participate, as well as the fabulous prizes students can earn.
- SUMMER LITERACY ASSEMBLY! The annual celebration for completing summer reading is an outdoor event called “Run the Bases,” set for Friday, September 21. Students who complete their reading logs will be given tickets for a FREE FROZEN TREAT at lunch at the end of September, thanks to our amazing Home and School! Summer Reading Logs were due last Friday, September 14. Students must turn in their completed Summer Reading Log to participate in the assembly. We ask students to wear Phillies red or their favorite baseball gear!
- ELEMENTARY DIRECTORY: Here is the link for the Elementary Directory: https://goo.gl/forms/kQMPO2bcUdMWTC3o1
- The directory will be a PDF again this year, which will be emailed to everyone who participates.
- The last date to add information will be September 27.
- Please be sure to double-check your information to make sure it is accurate. Enter your information exactly as you want it to appear in the directory.
School Safety and Security Web Page
Springfield School District is taking measures to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment for all of our students. Learn about this on the school district website: https://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/school-safety-security
Thank you for your support in ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of our students.
For Your Reference:
FAMILY AND STUDENT HANDBOOK:
The Springfield Elementary Schools Family and Student Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out!
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
To report a student's absence,
- Telephone the attendance hotline (610-938-6610), OR
- Email ScenicAttendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence, OR
- Use the link on the Scenic website to submit attendance. (Go to the Scenic page, click on Parents in the upper right-hand corner; select Attendance from the dropdown list, and in the middle of the page you will find a link to submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: School district policy and PA law require a written note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence. If you call the attendance hotline, please send in a note on your child's return to school. If you email Scenic Attendance, it is not necessary to send in another note.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- The absence becomes Unexcused (UA) if a note is not received within 3 days of the absence. If your child has three Unexcused Absences (UA), you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, online, or from your child’s teacher.
- Please check your child's attendance in HAC. Any questions, please call Dr. O'Dowd or Mrs. Speakes.
All students need headphones for use with computer programs during the school day. Please send headphones in, in a plastic bag marked with the student's name and homeroom. These can be inexpensive headphones, purchased at 5 Below, a Dollar Store, or Target/Walmart.
If you are interested in chaperoning a field trip or volunteering for events in the classrooms, please make sure we have valid security clearances on file in the main office. The forms and information can be found at: http://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/security-clearances Please note that these clearances are valid for five years.
Students should not arrive at school before 8:30 a.m. At that time, there is staff on duty to monitor students in the halls. If you need to drop your child off earlier, please consider the YMCA before school program. Thanks!!
All students who use computers at Scenic Hills must have a completed Acceptable Use Policy on file. You can complete this online at www.ssdcougars.org/elemaup.
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
Stay up to date with events and Scenic happenings on our Facebook page – search Scenic Hills Home & School Association. We kindly ask that you keep your posts and comments positive and only related to Home & School events and Scenic Hills. Posts specific to teachers, homework and classroom events should be directed to the teacher or Homeroom parents. Questions related to non-school sports, events and activities should be posted on your personal facebook page. You MUST answer the security questions about your child’s name and grade – for the safety of our families we cannot add you to the group if you do not answer them. Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
REGISTER YOUR GIANT CARD!
Register your Giant shopper card today, choose Scenic Hills as your school to support and help us earn FREE MONEY! Login in to your account, our school number is 23812 - do it NOW before you forget!!
Scenic Hills Home and School Association http://www.ssdcougars.org/webpages/hsscenic/
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
PAW PRINT GEAR FOR SALE!
Water bottles, car magnets, jewelry, hair accessories and MORE! See the attached flyer for ordering information!
Shoe Box Recycling: Don't throw out those old shoes! Recycle them at Scenic - the money we earn from this program benefits the Ecology Center. Just drop off your donations in the main lobby.