Scenic Cougar Paws
June 26, 2019
Please scroll through to find information of interest for our Scenic community. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd -- I try to share what is happening at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
**Please Note: For IPhone/IPad Users: PDF files will only open in Safari on iPhone 7 and the latest version of iPad.
The workaround for this is to open www.ssdcougars.org/sceweekly in Chrome and bookmark the page for future use. Chrome is available to download free in the app store.
- This is our last Cougar Paws for the summer! We will be back in August! Please remember to update your settings in HAC if you make any changes to your email or phone numbers this summer!
- Congratulations to our Talent Show winners! 4th grade: Monica McGrath; 5th grade: Maggie Wesnoski!
- Congratulations to our June Students of the Month:
- Grade 5: Mackenzie Drake, Damien Connolly, Michael Coney
- Grade 4: Maya Saraceni, Abigail Fisher, Morgan McGuigan
- Grade 3: Jadyn Powers, Olivia Dougherty, Danica Linsky
- Grade 2: Addison Hill, Max Orio, Dylan Hummel
- Check out the slideshow from Field Day and the 5th grade video, below!
- There are links below for some summer math and literacy practice!
- 2019-2020 Supply Lists are below, as are the Summer Reading Packets for students entering 3rd, 4th, or 5th grades in the fall. Please see the SLC site for incoming 2nd grade. Thanks!
- We recently upgraded to v.4.2 for eSchoolPlus, and some saved URLs may not work. Please use this new URL rather than your saved bookmarks/favorites/shortcuts. Here is the HAC direct link: https://sprhomeaccess.spihost.com. You can re-enter your login information here to access HAC.
5th Grade Video!
Here is the 5th Grade Video! Thanks to Mrs. Lehman and her helpers for putting together this fantastic video of memories for our 5th graders! This is a wonderful class
A little practice over the summer will keep your child's skills sharp! Here are a few opportunities!
Access iReady at home for some extra practice!
Our school is committed to providing our students with the knowledge, skills, and perseverance they need to succeed – both inside and outside the classroom. As part of this commitment, we are sharing information about a digital summer learning program called Summer Slugger.
Developed by curriculum experts at EVERFI and available at no cost thanks to Major League Baseball, Summer Slugger allows students to build and maintain math and literacy skills through digital, baseball-themed games. Summer Slugger makes learning fun by incorporating points and progress based rewards for accomplishments, so students are prepared to enter the next school year on track.
Game topics include:
· Spelling, grammar, comprehension, vocabulary, phonemic awareness
· Arithmetic, geometry, units of measurement, place value, equivalency
Research has shown that parent involvement is key for motivating students to fully take advantage of learning opportunities during the summer months. We hope that you will join us in our efforts to combat summer learning loss and help our students get ahead for the next school year!
Visit the website for more information- Summer Slugger
1. Go to everfi.com/register and enter this registration code: f412098b
2. Complete the profile and create a password.
3. You are ready to begin Summer Slugger!!
2019-2020 Supply Lists!
School Safety and Security Web Page
Springfield School District is taking measures to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment for all of our students. Learn about this on the school district website: https://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/school-safety-security
Thank you for your support in ensuring the health, safety, and welfare of our students.
2019-2020 2nd Grade Parent Information Night!
Here is the PowerPoint we shared at the 2nd Grade Parent Information Night on June 3, in case you were unable to attend or would like to review the information.
For Your Reference:
To report a student's absence,
- Telephone the attendance hotline (610-938-6610), OR
- Email ScenicAttendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence, OR
- Use the link on the Scenic website to submit attendance. (Go to the Scenic page, click on Parents in the upper right-hand corner; select Attendance from the dropdown list, and in the middle of the page you will find a link to submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: School district policy and PA law require a written note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence. If you call the attendance hotline, please send in a note on your child's return to school. If you email Scenic Attendance, it is not necessary to send in another note.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- The absence becomes Unexcused (UA) if a note is not received within 3 days of the absence. If your child has three Unexcused Absences (UA), you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, online, or from your child’s teacher.
- Please check your child's attendance in HAC. Any questions, please call Dr. O'Dowd or Mrs. Speakes.
- Please note: If your child is marked absent, you will receive a phone call and email to your contacts in HAC. This confirms the absence and serves as a reminder to send in a written absence note if you have not already done so.
All students who use computers at Scenic Hills must have a completed Acceptable Use Policy on file. You can complete this online at www.ssdcougars.org/elemaup.
FAMILY AND STUDENT HANDBOOK:
The Springfield Elementary Schools Family and Student Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out!
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
If you are interested in chaperoning a field trip or volunteering for events in the classrooms, please make sure we have valid security clearances on file in the main office. The forms and information can be found at: http://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/security-clearances Please note that these clearances are valid for five years.
Students should not arrive at school before 8:30 a.m. At that time, there is staff on duty to monitor students in the halls. If you need to drop your child off earlier, please consider the YMCA before school program. Thanks!!
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
Morey's Pier Fundraiser
You can order tickets to Morey's Pier at a discounted rate through Scenic Hills Home and School and a portion of the ticket prices goes to Home and School.
The tickets never expire!
You can order right online - go to:
- Enter login: SCENICHAS
COORDINATORS NEEDED! 2019-2020 Home & School Committee Chairs Each year Scenic's Home and School does several special events with your children. All of this cannot be possible without help from our parents. Please consider helping out! Click HERE for a list of the committee chair openings.
ECOLOGY CENTER Do you love nature? Want to help out at Scenic Hills on a flexible schedule? Then come volunteer at the Ecology Center! Spend some time visiting the creatures that call the Ecology Center home and help us to maintain a very cool environment for all the kids to learn and explore at school. Shelly the tortoise is hard to miss, but you might also spot some box turtles and a family of ducks. We will be doing a fall and spring cleanup event, as well as another Driven to Give test-drive fundraising event this spring. Please contact Barb at email@example.com if you are interested in getting involved!!
FACEBOOK PAGE Stay up to date with events and Scenic happenings on our Facebook page – search Scenic Hills Home & School Association. We kindly ask that you keep your posts and comments positive and only related to Home & School events and Scenic Hills. Posts specific to teachers, homework and classroom events should be directed to the teacher or Homeroom parents. Questions related to non-school sports, events and activities should be posted on your personal facebook page. You MUST answer the security questions about your child’s name and grade – for the safety of our families we cannot add you to the group if you do not answer them. Thank you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
REGISTER YOUR GIANT CARD! Register your Giant shopper card today, choose Scenic Hills as your school to support and help us earn FREE MONEY! Login in to your account, our school number is 23812 - do it NOW before you forget!!
Scenic Hills Home and School Association http://www.ssdcougars.org/webpages/hsscenic/
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
Shoe Box Recycling: Don't throw out those old shoes! Recycle them at Scenic - the money we earn from this program benefits the Ecology Center. Just drop off your donations in the main lobby.