Scenic Cougar Paws
April 25, 2018
Please scroll through to find information of interest from Scenic Hills, the school district, the community, and from Home and School. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd -- I try to share what is happening at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
NOTES AND REMINDERS:
There is so much going on at Scenic! Please scroll all the way down to get the latest information on what is happening at Scenic Hills!
- PSSA: The assessment window is April 17 to May 4. PSSAs will be administered on the following mornings:
- Math - April 24, 25;
- Science (Grade 4 only) - May 1, 2.
Students should be sure to arrive to school on time; if at all possible, please schedule any doctor or dentist visits in the afternoon. In recognition of the students' hard work, Home and School is again planning a celebration day at the end of the assessments. Thanks!
- Below you will find a letter from Dr. Barber regarding the updated calendar for the end of the year, as well as a letter regarding student placement for the 2018-19 school year.
- Scenic is holding a special fundraiser to benefit childhood cancer research via the Steve Stefani Dance Marathon and the Grayson Saves Foundation at CHOP. Please see the letter below, and thank you for your generosity.
- Check out the month-long Modell's coupon for Scenic (below)! It is good from 3/30-4/26 and gets everyone who uses it 15% off their entire purchase!
- SHS Home and School is selling Cougar Country flags. The online store is now live and ready for ordering. Here is the link: https://bandesportswear.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=119
- REMINDER from the Cafeteria: Please put any lunch money in an envelope clearly marked with your child's FIRST and LAST names - we have many students with the same first name. Also, if you know the student's lunch PIN number, please include that. Thank you!
- Please read the attendance information below. State laws regarding school attendance have changed. Please check your child's attendance in HAC and send in a note or email for any unexcused absences currently on his or her record. Any questions, please call Dr. O'Dowd or Mrs. Speakes.
- HEAD PHONES: All students need headphones for use with computer programs during the school day. Please send headphones in, in a plastic bag marked with the student's name and homeroom. These can be inexpensive headphones, purchased at 5 Below, a Dollar Store, or Target/Walmart.
- If you are interested in chaperoning a field trip this year or volunteering for events in the classrooms, please make sure we have valid security clearances on file in the main office. The forms and information can be found at: http://www.ssdcougars.org/parents/security-clearances Please note that these clearances are valid for five years.
- REMINDER: Students should not arrive at school before 8:30 a.m. At that time, there is staff on duty to monitor students in the halls. If you need to drop your child off earlier, please consider the YMCA before school program. Thanks!!
- All students who use computers at Scenic Hills must have a completed Acceptable Use Policy on file. You can complete this online at www.ssdcougars.org/elemaup.
- SPRINGFIELD POLICE DEPARTMENT VISITS: Springfield School District has coordinated with the Springfield Police Department for more frequent visits to our schools. Additionally, on 3/14, an officer joined me for our regularly scheduled lock-down drill to offer valuable suggestions. We are grateful for everything our police department does for our district, and we appreciate their increased presence in our schools. Thank you for helping to keep us safe.
Camp Invention is returning to Springfield School District this summer! This year, Camp Invention will be at Sabold Elementary School, June 25-29, 2018.
Check out the flyer for more information!
Pet Contest Entries DUE APRIL 27!!
For Your Reference:
The Springfield Elementary Schools Family and Student Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out!
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
- To report a student's absence, telephone the attendance hotline (610-938-6610) or email ScenicAttendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence. School district policy and PA law require a written note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence. If you call the attendance hotline, please send in a note on your child's return to school. If you email Scenic Attendance, it is not necessary to send in another note.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- The absence becomes Unexcused (UA) if a note is not received within 3 days of the absence. If your child has three Unexcused Absences (UA), you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, online, or from your child’s teacher.
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
- WE NEED HELP FOR PSSAs!
Breakfast Volunteers needed for 3rd grade – sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0f4aaaa629ab9-pssa
Hall Monitors – we need many helpers to keep our halls quiet during testing – please volunteer if you can: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0f4aaaa629ab9-pssa1
- HELP NEEDED FOR ART SHOWCASE
It takes many hands and hours of work to prepare for our spectacular student Art Showcase which will be held May 10th. Each student will have several pieces of art displayed. If you can spare some time to help us get ready, that would be great! Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0548aeac2ea31-scenic
- ORDER YOUR YEARBOOK NOW
PRICE: $20 Orders are only online this year: YBpay.lifetouch.com/order
ID CODE: 11195318 Questions? Please e-mail Geneen Pintof: email@example.com
- MOREY’S PIER FUNDRAISER
Scenic Hills H&S is pleased to offer Morey’s Pier discounted tickets.
Wow! What great deals……. And the Tickets NEVER Expire!
All Day Admission to both Waterparks is $35.00 - Reg. $45.00
All Day Admission to all 3 Amusement Piers is $47.00 - Reg. $59.75
All Day Combo Pass for Waterparks & Amusement Piers is $59 - Reg. $78.90
Order forms and payment are due by Friday, April 27, 2018.
Please enclose 1 check payable to SSD Elementary H&S Association.
Any questions please contact Debbie Graci at firstname.lastname@example.org
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!!!!
We need MANY MORE volunteers if all of our fabulous events at Scenic are going to happen this year!!!! There are so many great ways to get involved in our school – click the link here for details and sign up for what you are interested in helping with! http://tinyurl.com/yapr6etg
- NEW H&S WEBSITE
Check out our awesome new website!
- LUNCH VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
One way to volunteer and see your child during the school day is to help out in the cafeteria during their lunch period. Please see the link below for more information and to sign up. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4cadac2ba2f94-cafeteria
- REGISTER YOUR GIANT CARD!
Register your Giant shopper card today, choose Scenic Hills as your school to support and help us earn FREE MONEY! Login in to your account, our school number is 23812 - do it NOW before you forget!!
- FACEBOOK PAGE
Stay up to date with events and Scenic happenings on our Facebook page – search Scenic Hills Home & School Association. We kindly ask that you keep your posts and comments positive and only related to Home & School events and Scenic Hills. Posts specific to teachers, homework and classroom events should be directed to the teacher or Homeroom parents. Questions related to non-school sports, events and activities should be posted on your personal facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
- SCENIC HILLS NIGHT AT PHILADELPHIA UNION! Sat Apr 28th vs DC United - tickets will be $26 each! See attached flyer for all the details. Online ordering only – use this link: https://groupmatics.events/event/Scenichills18
Scenic Hills Home and School Association http://www.ssdcougars.org/webpages/hsscenic/
Join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/scenichillshs/
PAW PRINT GEAR FOR SALE!
Water bottles, car magnets, jewelry, hair accessories and MORE! See the attached flyer for ordering information!
Shoe Box Recycling: Don't throw out those old shoes! Recycle them at Scenic - the money we earn from this program benefits the Ecology Center. Just drop off your donations in the main lobby.