Scenic Cougar Paws
June 14, 2017
NOTES AND REMINDERS
Please scroll through to find information of interest from Scenic, the school district, the community, and from Home and School. The site is updated each week on Wednesday, and I will send out the link through School Messenger for easy access. The information will be available on the website all week. Information to be included in Cougar Paws should be submitted by Friday each week.
Thanks for all you do to make Scenic Hills the world's best elementary school!
Follow me on Twitter @Madeleine_ODowd
I try to share about special events at Scenic Hills on a weekly basis.
Dear Scenic Parents and Families,
Each year when June rolls around, I think, "Wow! This was the best year ever!" And this year that is especially true! What an outstanding year we have had at Scenic Hills! I am so proud of our students - they have worked hard this year and have grown academically, socially, and emotionally! We had some changes this year: we implemented Go Blue reading in 2nd grade (and we are looking forward to moving that into 3rd grade next year), and we also adopted Envisions Math. We also tried some new field trips and added some fun activities, with the help and support of Home and School. All in all, I think you would agree that 2016-2017 was a wonderful year!
We are sad to say goodbye to our 5th graders as they head off to middle school. Below is the 5th Grade Video that was shown at their end-of-year party. At the same time, we are excited to welcome our new 2nd graders to Scenic. Below is also the PowerPoint I shared at the 2nd Grade Parent evening.
Thank you for everything you do to support Scenic! On behalf of all of the Scenic faculty and staff, we wish you a safe, relaxing, and happy summer vacation! See you in September!
5th Grade Video
Information for incoming 2nd grade parents, from June 5!
The Elementary Handbook includes a great deal of information pertinent to you and your child’s school experience. Please check it out!
- For the safety of our bus students, you must send a note to the office if you are permitting your child to get off the bus at a stop different from the one assigned, for example, to play with another child after school.
- Students who are not designated bus riders are not permitted to ride a bus to another student’s house.
PA state law regarding school attendance has changed.
- For reasons of safety, telephone the attendance hotline or email ScenicAttendance@ssdcougars.org each morning of your child’s absence.
- PA State law and school district policy require students to submit a note or email to excuse an absence within three days of the absence.
- A doctor’s note is required to excuse absences of three or more days.
- Until the note is received, the absence is coded as Unexcused. If your child has three Unexcused Absences, you will receive a letter regarding the absences. Unresolved unexcused absences may result in attendance improvement conferences or truancy proceedings.
- Five days of absence may be requested for family vacations. This absence must be requested and approved in advance, or it is coded as unexcused. Forms are available in the main office, or from your child’s teacher.
SCENIC HILLS HOME AND SCHOOL
What's new with Home and School? Click on the flyers ...
EDUKITS NOW AVAILABLE TO ORDER!!
If you are interested in ordering your child’s school supplies for September, you can do that through EDUKIT! Order by JUNE 30 for best pricing and free shipping. Any questions/issues, please direct them to Jacqui Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org Here is the link to order: https://www.edukitinc.com/page.asp?id=15&schoolid=1144
PAW PRINT GEAR FOR SALE!
Water bottles, car magnets, jewelry, hair accessories and MORE! See the attached flyer for ordering information!
Shoe Box Recycling: Don't throw out those old shoes! Recycle them at Scenic - the money we earn from this program benefits the Ecology Center. Just drop off your donations in the main lobby.
LUNCH VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
One way to volunteer and see your child during the school day is to help out in the cafeteria during their lunch period. Please see the link below for more information and to sign up. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0d4cadac2ba2f94-cafeteria