From the Nurse’s Office
******* IMPORTANT REMINDER *******
Under PA law, specifically the PA School Code
A. Parents are required to notify the school by phone or email if their child is going to be absent from school for any reason!
B. Upon return to school, parents are required, by law, to provide a handwritten note stating the reason for the student’s absence.
C. An absence of three(3) or more consecutive days requires a physician’s note regarding the nature and treatment of the illness.
D. Please note: students who are absent from school due to illness or are sent home ill from school are NOT permitted to participate in afterschool activities including but not limited to: musical performances, athletic practices/games, drama practices/performances, music lessons/band practice, and afterschool club activities.
***This information was discussed at both Back to School Nights and can be found in the Student/Parent Handbook
Some Gentle Reminders as we head into winter and the cold/flu season:
1. Please keep your child/ren home if they are ill:
- Infect those around them including the teacher and other school staff
- Are not able to concentrate on their classwork and therefore are a distraction to themselves and others
2. Students must be 24 hrs without: fever, vomiting, or diarrhea before returning to school – this is the policy of all schools in our area-
A student sent home during school hours for: fever, vomiting, or diarrhea may not to return to school the next morning –
must be 24hrs from the last episode of fever, vomiting, or diarrhea without the use of medication.
3. Students being treated with antibiotics for any type of infection including strep throat and pink eye must have at least 24hrs worth of antibiotics before returning to school.
4. Please reinforce good hygiene habits at home:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze – use the bend of your elbow if
a tissue is not available. Throw the tissue away after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water – after a cough or sneeze, after using the bathroom,
before eating, etc. If soap and water are not available use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
5. Please remember to dress your child/ren according to the weather – every effort is made to take
the students out at recess for fresh air and exercise. Students without a coat are not permitted
outside with their class.