Service as Action
Service: A voluntary action performed to satisfy or solve a need or issue in a community
Action: The process of doing something
What is Service as Action?
At ISLK we want our students to be active members of the local and global community, who demonstrate personal commitment to services that make a difference to the lives of others and the environment.
Service as Action will help you to become aware of your roles and responsibilities as members of communities. The program requires you to take an active part in the community in which you live. How action will look like is different from student to student and from context to context.
Service as Action is embedded into some of the different units you complete in class but it can also be fulfilled through stand alone activities.
- Tutoring peers in various subjects
- In Design, making toys for the EYP students
- In Visual Art, providing short lessons about "The elements of art" to PYP4, 5 and 6 students.
- Organizing or participating in fundraising activities for a charity
- Organizing or participating in a beach clean-up
- Creating a poster to help raise awareness for people to reduce their water waste
- Run an afterschool club
- Volunteer at cultural events