12. “Customers as Friendly Shareholders: Uncovering the Complex Mutual Fund-Broker Relationship” (with Nitish Kumar and Kelsey Wei), 2023, Management Science, forthcoming.
11. “Artificial Market Timing in Mutual Funds” (with Jeffrey Busse, Jing Ding, and Lei Jiang), 2022, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming.
10. “Fund Manager Skill in an Era of Globalization: Offshore Concentration and Fund Performance” (with John Bai, Chi Wan, and Zafer Yuksel), 2022, Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming. [Appendix] [Data]
9. “Transaction Costs, Portfolio Characteristics, and Mutual Fund Performance” (with Jeffrey Busse, Tarun Chordia, and Lei Jiang), Management Science, 2021, vol. 67, 1227-1248. [Appendix] [Abel Noser Data Matching Appendix]
8. “Double-Adjusted Mutual Fund Performance” (with Jeffrey Busse and Lei Jiang), Review of Asset Pricing Studies, 2021, vol. 11, 169-208.
2017 CQA Academic Competition (First Prize) and Yihong Xia Best Paper Award (2018 CICF)
6. “Portfolio Manager Compensation in the U.S. Mutual Fund Industry” (with Linlin Ma and Juan-Pedro Gomez), Journal of Finance, 2019, vol. 74, 587-638. [Appendix]
Top Cited Paper in the Journal of Finance 2019-2020
5. “Portfolio Manager Ownership and Mutual Fund Risk Taking” (with Linlin Ma), Management Science, 2019, vol. 65, 5518-5534. [Appendix]
4. “When Does Competition Mitigate Agency Problems?”, Journal of Corporate Finance, 2018, vol. 51, 258-274.
3. “Can Information Be Locked-up? Informed Trading Ahead of Macro-News Announcements” (with Gennaro Bernile and Jianfeng Hu), Journal of Financial Economics, 2016, vol. 121, 496-520. [Appendix]
2. “Mandatory Portfolio Disclosure, Stock Liquidity, and Mutual Fund Performance” (with Vikas Agarwal, Kevin Mullally, and Baozhong Yang), Journal of Finance, 2015, vol. 70, 2733-2776. [Appendix]
1. “Uncovering Hedge Fund Skill from the Portfolio Holdings They Hide” (with Vikas Agarwal, Wei Jiang, and Baozhong Yang), Journal of Finance, 2013, vol. 68, 739-783. [Appendix]
2009 Q-Group Research Grant and 2010 CQA Academic Competition (Third Prize)
1. [New Paper] “Thematic Investing in Mutual Funds” (with John Bai, Chi Wan, and Zafer Yuksel), 2022.
2. “Surviving the Fintech Disruption” (with Wei Jiang, Rachel Xiao, and Vincent Yao), 2022, Revise & Resubmit.
AMTD FinTech Centre Prize, 2022 Asian Finance Association Conference
SFS Cavalcade North America 2022 and NBER Working Paper No. w28668
3. [New Version] “Corporate Climate Risk: Measurements and Responses” (with Qing Li, Derek Shan, and Vincent Yao), 2022, Revise & Resubmit.
2021 AFA Annual Meeting
4. “Peer versus Pure Benchmarks in the Compensation of Mutual Fund Managers” (with Richard Evans, Juan-Pedro Gomez, and Linlin Ma), 2022, Revise & Resubmit.
2019 ESMT Asset Management Conference (Berlin, Germany) and 2020 NFA
6. “Why Do We Have So Many Funds? The Organizational Structure of Mutual Fund Families” (with Jennifer Huang, Zhigang Qiu, and Xiaoyu Xu), 2019
UF Term Professor, University of Florida, August 2021 -
Emerson-Merrill Lynch Professor, University of Florida, January 2020 -
Associate Professor of Finance (with tenure), University of Florida, August 2020 -
Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Florida, August 2016 - July 2020
Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, Emory University, Fall 2014
Assistant Professor of Finance, Singapore Management University, July 2013-June 2016
Fellowship, Grants, and Awards
1. AMTD FinTech Centre Prize, Asian Finance Association Conference, 2022
2. Yihong Xia Best Paper Award, China International Conference in Finance, 2018
3. First Prize, Chicago Quantitative Alliance (CQA) Academic Competition, 2017
4. Best Paper Award, Conference of the Paul Woolley Centre for the Study of Capital Market Dysfunctionality, 2015
5. Dean’s Teaching Honor List, LKC School of Business, Singapore Management University, 2015
6. First Prize, Chicago Quantitative Alliance CQAsia Academic Competition, 2014
7. D.S. Lee Foundation Fellowship, Singapore Management University, 2014-2016
8. Singapore Ministry of Education Tier 1 Research Grant, 2013-2014
9. Georgia State University Dissertation Grant, 2012
10. Stephen Smith Research Award, Georgia State University, 2012
11. Best Ph.D. Student Paper Award, Eastern Finance Association, 2011
12. Third Prize, Chicago Quantitative Alliance (CQA) Academic Competition, 2010
13. Q-Group Research Grant, 2009